The 880s are amazing with metal, and if you EQ try to use a parametric EQ as you can control how much the requency you atenuate bleeds into adjacent frequencies.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 7/20/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 2/15/11
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 8/2/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 2/15/11
- brandMoon Audiotagged by System, 7/16/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Going Audiophile For Gaming! Last post on 7/4/13 at 4:37pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- IEM guy needs recommendations for full size phones... Last post on 7/21/12 at 8:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 10/20/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mini reviews of headphones i auditioned Last post on 7/28/14 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
Before I begin my review, I would like to Thank Meelectronics for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. It seems that everywhere you look you see another new...
The Philps Fidelio X2 was purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Philips. Introduction: The Philips Fidelio X2 is Philips top of the line full size open headphones. I picked up...
Still burning-in, but I can already say they are by far the best sounding IEM's I've ever heard. Fantastically clear/clean through the mids and treble - tremendous detail resolution without things...
$250 (got mine 10% off from a promo code on theheadphonelist.com but it was only valid for 2014) - 2 Balanced armature Drivers - 1 Bass Driver - 1 High Frequency Driver - 1 sound bore -...
Intro There are very few headphones which have survived three decades and still remain as the main workhorse for many sound professionals around the world. The Sony MDR-7506 started out as...
The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 310post #4636 of 91439/25/13 at 3:34pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4637 of 91439/25/13 at 5:51pmI am not really a "Cookie Monster" vocals metal listener... I do enjoy a little Amon Amarth from time to time though.
But! Metallica's Black Album in 24/96 sounds amazing through the DT880's.
After listening to Disturbed Asylum album the other day, I am enjoying what I hear from them as well.post #4638 of 91439/25/13 at 5:55pm
Asked this elsewhere but I thought I would repeat it here (as this is a living thread)... has anyone attempted to run the 880/250 through a Little Dot I+? I'm looking to expand the stable with a can with a flatter FR and the 880 seems to fit the bill, but my headphone amp is a hybrid tube that generally works better with low-impedance cans. I know there is a gain switch on the LD, but I seem to recall reading that noise increased when the high gain setting was applied... any help would be appreciated.post #4639 of 91439/25/13 at 6:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Edgard Varese
Asked this elsewhere but I thought I would repeat it here (as this is a living thread)... has anyone attempted to run the 880/250 through a Little Dot I+? I'm looking to expand the stable with a can with a flatter FR and the 880 seems to fit the bill, but my headphone amp is a hybrid tube that generally works better with low-impedance cans. I know there is a gain switch on the LD, but I seem to recall reading that noise increased when the high gain setting was applied... any help would be appreciated.
This is a quote from the LD forum...Quote:LD 1+ Forum
I have used the LD 1+ with upgraded WE408A tubes as I received from LD with the Beyer 880 600 ohm phones. It does a really good clean job, but begins to run out of power on really heavy classical music. On normal music, like jazz or light rock, it is a real good combo. I normally had the volume control at about the 2 o'clock position. But, on some heavy classical, I had to open the volume all the way to the 5 o'clock position.
I purchased it mainly to drive the HiFiman HE-300 Dynamic Phones... and it does a magnificent job with those phones. I also have the Schiit Lyr Hybrid Tube Amp, and with the HE-300, the LD 1+ with upgraded tubes does a little better job than the Lyr. A little sweeter in the mids. Very nice!
He has the 600Ω version and since the specs state that it outputs 150mW into 300Ω it might just work alright depending on your listening levels.post #4640 of 91439/25/13 at 7:04pmQuote:
Thanks TD! :) On the basis of that I think the 250 would work fine, but I'm not too sure about the 600...post #4641 of 91439/25/13 at 7:26pmpost #4642 of 91439/25/13 at 8:15pmpost #4643 of 91439/25/13 at 8:17pmpost #4644 of 91439/25/13 at 8:24pmQuote:
The drivers are well protected behind foam discs that bow out in the middle. These tend to touch one's ears (they do mine), but most people don't seem to find it unpleasant. It's never bothered me in almost three years of ownership.post #4645 of 91439/25/13 at 9:55pmQuote:
It doesn't bother me either... but sometimes it can tickle.post #4646 of 91439/25/13 at 9:57pmpost #4647 of 91439/25/13 at 11:33pmpost #4648 of 91439/26/13 at 1:53ampost #4649 of 91439/26/13 at 3:02am
Speaking of which, how long have everybody's pads lasted here? Mine are the originals and I will have had my DT880 for three years in the beginning of October. They're definitely a bit worn down, but they seem to be otherwise perfectly fine. I wash them annually in a bath of warm soapy water, which doesn't ever seem to have damaged them.post #4650 of 91439/26/13 at 4:48amQuote:Originally Posted by Argyris
Speaking of which, how long have everybody's pads lasted here? Mine are the originals and I will have had my DT880 for three years in the beginning of October. They're definitely a bit worn down, but they seem to be otherwise perfectly fine. I wash them annually in a bath of warm soapy water, which doesn't ever seem to have damaged them.
I need to wash them
although I am a little mad... I'm ALREADY having issues with my 3.5 6.5mm connector :/ it's losing audio... glad I have 2 more >.> [silly mono price] that said I just need to break down and recable the w1000x to just use the pb1's Blanced out, as I lose audio out of the pb1+adapter plus the Hm801+adapter so it's cleary the adapter [which is why I hate 3.5mm... I seem to destroy them at teh speed of light]
- The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › JH Audio Angie Impressions and Discussion Thread 14 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK380 20 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HM901S New Flagship DAP 38 seconds ago
- › Audeze LCD-3 Impressions Thread 50 seconds ago
- › You Know You're an Audiophile When.. Version 2! 1 minute ago
- › Headphones you regretted buying the most 1 minute ago
- › Cayin N6 DAP: Dual PCM1792, BTL Amplication Circuit, 24/192,... 1 minute ago
- › Finding a DAC for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Only Four Months to Go. 1 minute ago
- › KOSS ESP-950 Thread 2 minutes ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2 Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi® Matrix2 AF62 Stereo Bluetooth®... by twister6
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by peter123
- › Sennheiser IE800 by Lan647
- › Perfect Seal SportBud Silver by DreamKing
- › Sony MDR7506 Professional Large Diaphragm Headphone by RudeWolf
- › Grado Labs SR80e by Pokemonn
- › Aune B1 by money4me247
- › Hippo Biscuit by BruceBanner
- › MartinLogan Mikros 90 Reference On-Ear Headphones by remwang
- › SoundMAGIC E50 / E50S by mark2410
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2