The 880s are amazing with metal, and if you EQ try to use a parametric EQ as you can control how much the requency you atenuate bleeds into adjacent frequencies.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 7/20/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 2/15/11
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 8/2/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 2/15/11
- brandMoon Audiotagged by System, 7/16/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Going Audiophile For Gaming! Last post on 7/4/13 at 4:37pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- IEM guy needs recommendations for full size phones... Last post on 7/21/12 at 8:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- Please Help me choose a headphone from this website.... AH-D7000, HD650, DT880, DT990, T70 Last post on 10/20/11 at 8:18pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Mini reviews of headphones i auditioned Last post on 7/28/14 at 6:31pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 7/3/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/21/14
Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable Teflon over UP-OCC: Ultra Pure Ohno Continous Cast Copper Viablue Y Splitter Switchcraft 4 pin XLR Ordered 5 ft length So a bit of background here. I...
I used this a a record cleaning machine... it served me well through college and frankly, was "good enough". I got pretty amazing results mounting the turntable on a shelf bolted to a frame that...
Specs; Deep bass sound reproduction with 50mm Neodymium driver unit and ring port structure- cans need 50-100 hours burn-in Ring port structure provides high-quality dynamic sound- it is...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images INTRODUCTION The first I heard about RHA (or Reid Heath Acoustics) was a thread on Head-Fi calling for...
FIIO'S E11K KILIMANJARO 2 INTRODUCTION Fiio is a Chinese maker of audio equipment that has become well known for offering good gear at highly competitive prices. With a lineup of...
The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 310post #4636 of 82559/25/13 at 3:34pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4637 of 82559/25/13 at 5:51pmI am not really a "Cookie Monster" vocals metal listener... I do enjoy a little Amon Amarth from time to time though.
But! Metallica's Black Album in 24/96 sounds amazing through the DT880's.
After listening to Disturbed Asylum album the other day, I am enjoying what I hear from them as well.post #4638 of 82559/25/13 at 5:55pm
Asked this elsewhere but I thought I would repeat it here (as this is a living thread)... has anyone attempted to run the 880/250 through a Little Dot I+? I'm looking to expand the stable with a can with a flatter FR and the 880 seems to fit the bill, but my headphone amp is a hybrid tube that generally works better with low-impedance cans. I know there is a gain switch on the LD, but I seem to recall reading that noise increased when the high gain setting was applied... any help would be appreciated.post #4639 of 82559/25/13 at 6:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Edgard Varese
Asked this elsewhere but I thought I would repeat it here (as this is a living thread)... has anyone attempted to run the 880/250 through a Little Dot I+? I'm looking to expand the stable with a can with a flatter FR and the 880 seems to fit the bill, but my headphone amp is a hybrid tube that generally works better with low-impedance cans. I know there is a gain switch on the LD, but I seem to recall reading that noise increased when the high gain setting was applied... any help would be appreciated.
This is a quote from the LD forum...Quote:LD 1+ Forum
I have used the LD 1+ with upgraded WE408A tubes as I received from LD with the Beyer 880 600 ohm phones. It does a really good clean job, but begins to run out of power on really heavy classical music. On normal music, like jazz or light rock, it is a real good combo. I normally had the volume control at about the 2 o'clock position. But, on some heavy classical, I had to open the volume all the way to the 5 o'clock position.
I purchased it mainly to drive the HiFiman HE-300 Dynamic Phones... and it does a magnificent job with those phones. I also have the Schiit Lyr Hybrid Tube Amp, and with the HE-300, the LD 1+ with upgraded tubes does a little better job than the Lyr. A little sweeter in the mids. Very nice!
He has the 600Ω version and since the specs state that it outputs 150mW into 300Ω it might just work alright depending on your listening levels.post #4640 of 82559/25/13 at 7:04pmQuote:
Thanks TD! :) On the basis of that I think the 250 would work fine, but I'm not too sure about the 600...post #4641 of 82559/25/13 at 7:26pmpost #4642 of 82559/25/13 at 8:15pmpost #4643 of 82559/25/13 at 8:17pmpost #4644 of 82559/25/13 at 8:24pmQuote:
The drivers are well protected behind foam discs that bow out in the middle. These tend to touch one's ears (they do mine), but most people don't seem to find it unpleasant. It's never bothered me in almost three years of ownership.post #4645 of 82559/25/13 at 9:55pmQuote:
It doesn't bother me either... but sometimes it can tickle.post #4646 of 82559/25/13 at 9:57pmpost #4647 of 82559/25/13 at 11:33pmpost #4648 of 82559/26/13 at 1:53ampost #4649 of 82559/26/13 at 3:02am
Speaking of which, how long have everybody's pads lasted here? Mine are the originals and I will have had my DT880 for three years in the beginning of October. They're definitely a bit worn down, but they seem to be otherwise perfectly fine. I wash them annually in a bath of warm soapy water, which doesn't ever seem to have damaged them.post #4650 of 82559/26/13 at 4:48amQuote:Originally Posted by Argyris
Speaking of which, how long have everybody's pads lasted here? Mine are the originals and I will have had my DT880 for three years in the beginning of October. They're definitely a bit worn down, but they seem to be otherwise perfectly fine. I wash them annually in a bath of warm soapy water, which doesn't ever seem to have damaged them.
I need to wash them
although I am a little mad... I'm ALREADY having issues with my 3.5 6.5mm connector :/ it's losing audio... glad I have 2 more >.> [silly mono price] that said I just need to break down and recable the w1000x to just use the pb1's Blanced out, as I lose audio out of the pb1+adapter plus the Hm801+adapter so it's cleary the adapter [which is why I hate 3.5mm... I seem to destroy them at teh speed of light]
- The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
- › FS: LNIB Sennheiser HD25-1 II 1 minute ago
- › Used tube amps` 1 minute ago
- › Headphone Sightings 2 1 minute ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › [SG] You're Invited to experience the Sound Blaster X7. Win... 3 minutes ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 3 minutes ago
- › Walkman NWZ F886 officialy announced!! [192khz/24bits] 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Where it's my daily email? 5 minutes ago
- › Official Ipod Video / Classic 5g+5.5g+6g+6.5g+7g SSD Mod thread 6 minutes ago
- › Zynsonix Trebuchet HiFiMan Balanced Cable by BeatsWork
- › Mitsubishi LT-30 by Golden Ears
- › JVC HARX700 High-Grade Full-Size Headphone by ajlan
- › RHA T10i by Brooko
- › FiiO E11K by thatonenoob
- › AKG K3003 by GUO XIAOZHOU
- › iBasso DX50 DAP by AudioGG
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by piksnz
- › Joinhandmade Jelly Ear In Ear Headphones by thatonenoob
- › Grado Statement Series GS1000i Headphones by SoundApprentice
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)