Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 308

post #4606 of 7921
I used to run my 880s with a similar setup, Aune T1 + O2. It was a nice set up for the time and performed well for the price. If that's all you can afford, I would recommend it.
post #4607 of 7921

It will also depend on how loud you like your music. The 880 series are not very sensitive headphones which means they take a fair amount of current to drive to loud volume. I know that with my Schiit Valhalla my 880s were pretty loud, however with my Auditor which supplies plenty of voltage, but not as much current, the 880s were hard to drive to louder listening levels, certainly with more quietly mastered material. From what I can tell, it seems I like to listen at louder volume than do many other people so take what I say with a grain of salt. Listen before you buy if you can, and if that isn't possible make sure the return policy is good in case you want to back out. On the bass issue, the 880s have very good bass in my experience, accurate and well extended. Not perfect of course, but for their price point, fantastic performance.

post #4608 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post

Do you folks think I could drive the 600 ohm version with an objective 2 + ODAC? Also, is that dac/amp combo satisfactory for the dt880 or am I really undercutting it?

 

I have the JDS Labs O2 and 600Ohm Beyer 880's and the amp does drive the headphones without a problem and sounds very good as well but I do have my 880's in the bedroom being driven by a Little Dot MKIII. I have several pairs of headphones and drive all with the O2 except the Beyer's, they are with the LD. I guess the posts are correct that the Beyer's do sound better out of a OTL amp...

I will do some direct comparisions again and verify.

post #4609 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Atrocity View Post

Do you folks think I could drive the 600 ohm version with an objective 2 + ODAC? Also, is that dac/amp combo satisfactory for the dt880 or am I really undercutting it?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADCAM View Post
 

 

I have the JDS Labs O2 and 600Ohm Beyer 880's and the amp does drive the headphones without a problem and sounds very good as well but I do have my 880's in the bedroom being driven by a Little Dot MKIII. I have several pairs of headphones and drive all with the O2 except the Beyer's, they are with the LD. I guess the posts are correct that the Beyer's do sound better out of a OTL amp...

I will do some direct comparisions again and verify.

 

No no no, they do not sound better out of an OTL amp,  :\ 

 
in addition aren't tubes the only thing we refer to as "OTL" and honestly I do NOT like the Dt 880 out of a tube! I much prefer it out of a solid state, so that said there are PLENTY of solid states that drive it nicely. I'm using a Matrix M Stage [Lme49990 OP Amp]
 
As for the O2... I think it would be ok, you going to have VERY little Head room with the volume which might b an issue for some, still I don't know exactly how it would sound. I drive mt Dt 880 Portable through a balanced PB1... which pushees 1.4w, interstingly enough I got my Pb1 because I was worried about how the O2 would perform with the DT 880. 
 
Going back to the PB1, I do like it actually! It sounds nice with the very lean Dt 880, the upper mids are a touch to much at times with it [like for high pitched brass instruments] , but the bass get's a NICE deep boost. So it works imo, and HONESTLY that upper mid problem will be solved by my Hm 801 :3, which should be here soon :D 
post #4610 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADCAM View Post
 

 

I guess the posts are correct that the Beyer's do sound better out of a OTL amp...

True that!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

No no no, they do not sound better out of an OTL amp,  :\ 

 

The DT880's out of my LD MK IV with the USAF Tung-Sol 6AH6WA's sounds divine, these tubes have a very nice full range to them and are my top tube so far.

 

The DT880's also sound great out of the E17/E09K combo when I don't have the tubes fired up.

:beerchug:

post #4611 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

 

 

No no no, they do not sound better out of an OTL amp,  :\

 
in addition aren't tubes the only thing we refer to as "OTL" and honestly I do NOT like the Dt 880 out of a tube! I much prefer it out of a solid state, so that said there are PLENTY of solid states that drive it nicely. I'm using a Matrix M Stage [Lme49990 OP Amp]
 
As for the O2... I think it would be ok, you going to have VERY little Head room with the volume which might b an issue for some, still I don't know exactly how it would sound. I drive mt Dt 880 Portable through a balanced PB1... which pushees 1.4w, interstingly enough I got my Pb1 because I was worried about how the O2 would perform with the DT 880.
 
Going back to the PB1, I do like it actually! It sounds nice with the very lean Dt 880, the upper mids are a touch to much at times with it [like for high pitched brass instruments] , but the bass get's a NICE deep boost. So it works imo, and HONESTLY that upper mid problem will be solved by my Hm 801 :3, which should be here soon :D

Yes yes yes, I would not have paired the Beyer's with tubes if it had sounded worse than the O2. Also I drove the Beyer's from the low gain setting on the O2 and felt I had plenty of headroom. FYI I am feeding the amps from the outputs of a couple of cd players (Onkyo Integra & NAD 542). I will take another listen as I said but personally I believe the Beyer's sound fantastic out of the MKIII. I also believe the O2 is an exceptional amp. I am a converting straight 2 channel audiophile and appreciate that people have different feelings on equipment and SQ.

post #4612 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADCAM View Post
 

Yes yes yes, I would not have paired the Beyer's with tubes if it had sounded worse than the O2. Also I drove the Beyer's from the low gain setting on the O2 and felt I had plenty of headroom. FYI I am feeding the amps from the outputs of a couple of cd players (Onkyo Integra & NAD 542). I will take another listen as I said but personally I believe the Beyer's sound fantastic out of the MKIII. I also believe the O2 is an exceptional amp. I am a converting straight 2 channel audiophile and appreciate that people have different feelings on equipment and SQ.

 

It's a matter of prefferance, but hey as long as you like it and your open to trying something new. Just enjoy :D 

 
In addition the Dt 880 like OTL tubes because they need a lot of voltage, you can get those volts easier with a tube than a Solid State, THAT said if your like me and you'd not a BIG fan of the "tube" sound then Solid State is the prefered subjective choice. 
 
That said, the O2 is a great amp :3, but there are better amps that require some upgrade, so in all honesty the O2 is a Hit it and quit it amp! Doesn't need OP amp swamps. 
 
Still my Audio GD just hit the US today :D It should be in tommorow or wednsday! Man it's gonna sound AWESOME! 
 
Wow... I remember why I got the Dt 880... it's gorgeous with very quiet and amibent orchestral sound tracks :O... I have literally 70gbs of nothing but Lossless OSTs [and that's the biggest chunk of my External HDD]
 
And I'm getting more and more each day :D [just got my first TB drive] so It's nice to listen to the genre this really excel with! Orchestral and jazz ^^ 

Edited by Mshenay - 9/23/13 at 1:55pm
post #4613 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

Do not make an objective statement about your subjective preferance. My Matrix M Stage walks circles around the O2, in terms of power and Audio Quality, it does cost about twice as much but it's a better product. That said, if you prefer tubes [and I do want to try a OTL with my DT 880] then leave it at that, the O2 is a very CLEAN amp paird with a very CLEAN headphone, SO your subjective preferance again is coming off as an objective fact.

 
In addition the Dt 880 like OTL tubes because they need a lot of voltage, you can get those volts easier with a tube than a Solid State, THAT said if your like me and you'd not a BIG fan of the "tube" sound then Solid State is the prefered subjective choice. 
 
That said, the O2 is a great amp :3, but there are better amps that require some upgrade, so in all honesty the O2 is a Hit it and quit it amp! Doesn't need OP amp swamps. 
 
Still my Audio GD just hit the US today :D It should be in tommorow or wednsday! Man it's gonna sound AWESOME! 
 
Wow... I remember why I got the Dt 880... it's gorgeous with very quiet and amibent orchestral sound tracks :O... I have literally 70gbs of nothing but Lossless OSTs [and that's the biggest chunk of my External HDD]
 
And I'm getting more and more each day :D [just got my first TB drive] so It's nice to listen to the genre this really excel with! Orchestral and jazz ^^ 

 

Dude. Chill. He simply had a different experience than you, or else he simply prefers something different. There are certainly objective quantities in headphone audio (as in anything else), but taste cannot be accounted for. You yourself made a subjective judgment ("No no no..."), to which he responded. There are tons of very similar statements, every second one probably contradicting the next, made by everybody who has posted in this thread. You seem to like tweaking, and comparing different amps, and are devoted to the idea that a balanced 600 ohm DT880 is going to sound better than any other variation. There are others in this thread who say that none of these things will make that much (if any) difference with the DT880. Who's right? Is anybody? Does it matter?

 

Just so you know, I'm not getting down on you. I enjoy the life you've brought to this thread, which normally is pretty calm and businesslike. I'm sure I'm not the only one, either. :smile: You've contributed loads here, helped a lot of people, and brought some enthusiasm to a well worn-in former flagship. Every sale generated by posters here makes it less likely Beyer will can the DT880 in favor of the newest Tesla hotness, and I'm sure at least a few people read your posts and thought wow, he seems pretty psyched about this thing--I'm convinced, let's pull the trigger. So I'm not trying to pick a fight or bring you down or anything like that. I just think we all need to take a step back sometimes and realize that, at some point, people are going to like different things from us, even if we think (or know) it's "wrong."

post #4614 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post
 

 

Dude. Chill. He simply had a different experience than you, or else he simply prefers something different. There are certainly objective quantities in headphone audio (as in anything else), but taste cannot be accounted for. You yourself made a subjective judgment ("No no no..."), to which he responded. There are tons of very similar statements, every second one probably contradicting the next, made by everybody who has posted in this thread. You seem to like tweaking, and comparing different amps, and are devoted to the idea that a balanced 600 ohm DT880 is going to sound better than any other variation. There are others in this thread who say that none of these things will make that much (if any) difference with the DT880. Who's right? Is anybody? Does it matter?

 

Just so you know, I'm not getting down on you. I enjoy the life you've brought to this thread, which normally is pretty calm and businesslike. I'm sure I'm not the only one, either. :smile: You've contributed loads here, helped a lot of people, and brought some enthusiasm to a well worn-in former flagship. Every sale generated by posters here makes it less likely Beyer will can the DT880 in favor of the newest Tesla hotness, and I'm sure at least a few people read your posts and thought wow, he seems pretty psyched about this thing--I'm convinced, let's pull the trigger. So I'm not trying to pick a fight or bring you down or anything like that. I just think we all need to take a step back sometimes and realize that, at some point, people are going to like different things from us, even if we think (or know) it's "wrong."

 

Good point, I HAS been toned downed [and btw I can take correction... I'm used to it! Still thanks for the positive constsructive feed back!] 

 
So let me help by toning it down [It has been TONED]
 
Also... made an Orchestral OST Play List for FooBar finally... the issue I'm having is I got a 32gb SD for my HM 801 and I usually put BIG play Lists on my SD cards [since the UI doesn't have the best functionality] and I'm wondering what 2 genres to put on my Hm 801? I'm thinking Jazz and Orchestral... 
 
Although I hope I can find another 16gb SD Class 4 on sale for $10 like I did last year 

Edited by Mshenay - 9/23/13 at 1:58pm
post #4615 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

No no no, they do not sound better out of an OTL amp,  :\ 

 
in addition aren't tubes the only thing we refer to as "OTL" and honestly I do NOT like the Dt 880 out of a tube! I much prefer it out of a solid state, so that said there are PLENTY of solid states that drive it nicely. I'm using a Matrix M Stage [Lme49990 OP Amp]

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

 

That said, if you prefer tubes [and I do want to try a OTL with my DT 880] then leave it at that, the O2 is a very CLEAN amp paird with a very CLEAN headphone, SO your subjective preferance again is coming off as an objective fact.

 
In addition the Dt 880 like OTL tubes because they need a lot of voltage, you can get those volts easier with a tube than a Solid State, THAT said if your like me and you'd not a BIG fan of the "tube" sound then Solid State is the prefered subjective choice. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post
 

 

Do not make an objective statement about your subjective preferance

 

SO your subjective preferance again is coming off as an objective fact. 

 

Hi Makaiah

 
I saw you modified your original post - well done.  I just wanted to point out the inconsistencies with that original post though.
 
  1. You tell us they don't sound better out of an OTL tube
  2. You then state that you'd like to hear them out of an OTL tube - implying you haven't so far
  3. You state (correctly IMO) that they 600 ohm DT880 require plenty of voltage which does actually suit the characteristics of an OTL tube amp
  4. Then after giving your clearly subjective thoughts - you proceed to admonish others for doing the same thing. 
 
 
In my personal subjective opinion - owning both a powerful (admittedly mid-fi) solid state (NFB-12) and OTL Tube (LD MKIV) - I prefer the LD.  In fact if you go back through this thread you'll find a lot who do prefer a decent OTL tube.  If you get the chance you should actually try one before discounting it completely .......

Edited by Brooko - 9/23/13 at 2:15pm
post #4616 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

 

 

 

Hi Makaiah

 
I saw you modified your original post - well done.  I just wanted to point out the inconsistencies with that original post though.
 
  1. You tell us they don't sound better out of an OTL tube
  2. You then state that you'd like to hear them out of an OTL tube - implying you haven't so far
  3. You state (correctly IMO) that they 600 ohm DT880 require plenty of voltage which does actually suit the characteristics of an OTL tube amp
  4. Then after giving your clearly subjective thoughts - you proceed to admonish others for doing the same thing. 
 
 
In my personal subjective opinion - owning both a powerful (admittedly mid-fi) solid state (NFB-12) and OTL Tube (LD MKIV) - I prefer the LD.  In fact if you go back through this thread you'll find a lot who do prefer a decent OTL tube.  If you get the chance you should actually try one before discounting it completely .......

 

Oh brooko you know how impaitent I am, I speak what's on my mind then edit it. I do try to ask more questions though :3

 
I heard my Dt 880 Pro out of a good number of Hybrid Tubes and a variety of 12ua7 Tubes at that... seeing as I did NOT like the Hybrid Tubes, and much enjoyed the sound of my Solid State over the Hybrid Tubes I've had... I make the statements as such. I didn't like what the Tube added... it was kinda nice I suppose but I missed the details.
 
So that said I'd like to try what I consider a Tube amp worth trying with my Dt 880, and that would be the Little Dot MK VI+ or VIII Se... not sure which yet, either way. My dt 880 is balanced so for the BEST possible Tube sound I want to try her with a MUCH nicer tube than what I had before. 
 
That said... LD VI+ or LD MKVIII SE? [ignore price] 
 
The MKVIII SE just looks nicer... but the VI+ has more current... I've been told? So I'm hoping to one day own a ATH AD2000X a T90 and a HE 5LE and T1... and I'd need a tube that could work with them all, in addition to MAYBE an HD 800 [hoping AKG makes a TOTL to equal it soon] 
 
So that said... I do not want to try ANY tube that is not at the least fully balanced [which for tubes mean running dual mono configurations] 
 
So I didn't like any of my Hybrid... and I doubt I'm going to be a HUGE fan of another SE tube at that, so I want to hear the DT 880 and it's open competitors at thier absoulete 100% best As I am an all or nothing kinda guy... I tried low end stuff... hated it now I'm gonna jump into the Mid High end to see if I like it any better :3 
post #4617 of 7921

Boy - you've really gone overboard on the 'balanced rig' set-up haven't you ;)

 

Never heard anything balanced - so I'll reserve judgement until I do.  Like the cable debate - seems to be a polarising subject with people either saying there are obvious differences or there aren't.

 

My advice would be to get to a meet and try your DT880 out of something like an LD MKIV, Woo WA3 or Darkvoice 336 etc (assuming you have a single-ended adaptor).  I know my LD MKIV is actually very clean sounding - definitely not overly warm or dark.  And I've never had the idea I'm missing any detail.

 

Comparing a true OTL to the cheap hybrids you've heard may definitely surprise you.

post #4618 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

Boy - you've really gone overboard on the 'balanced rig' set-up haven't you ;)

 

Never heard anything balanced - so I'll reserve judgement until I do.  Like the cable debate - seems to be a polarising subject with people either saying there are obvious differences or there aren't.

 

My advice would be to get to a meet and try your DT880 out of something like an LD MKIV, Woo WA3 or Darkvoice 336 etc (assuming you have a single-ended adaptor).  I know my LD MKIV is actually very clean sounding - definitely not overly warm or dark.  And I've never had the idea I'm missing any detail.

 

Comparing a true OTL to the cheap hybrids you've heard may definitely surprise you.

I can tell you it does make a differance. I tried a fully balanced set up with my db1 and pb1 the other day, sound stage was better, an instrument seperation was clearer. So you know me, go big or GET OUT

 

ANd for $700 [and in Silver] the LD MKVI+ is looking nice, plus I belive the LDVI+ has a gain switch, where as the VIII SE does not. So I might end up there

 

and I'd like to go to a meet eventually q.q but I live in the middle of now where South Carolina >.> and my car is a piece o junk 

post #4619 of 7921

You're still closer than me ;) = 12000 km for me to get to a decent meet (US).  I envy you that if planned carefully you can actually do it.  One of these days I'm going to time one of my business trips with one of the larger meets (either EC or WC).

 

I'll take your view on balanced vs SE with a grain of salt.  Plenty of other people who say the differences (if any) are pretty small once volume matched - and some of these I really trust their views.  I've also tried different cables (home made mostly) using different wire - and I can't tell the difference with them either.  More than likely I have tin ears :D

 

For now I'll stick to SE with default cables and just enjoy the music.

post #4620 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post
 

You're still closer than me ;) = 12000 km for me to get to a decent meet (US).  I envy you that if planned carefully you can actually do it.  One of these days I'm going to time one of my business trips with one of the larger meets (either EC or WC).

 

I'll take your view on balanced vs SE with a grain of salt.  Plenty of other people who say the differences (if any) are pretty small once volume matched - and some of these I really trust their views.  I've also tried different cables (home made mostly) using different wire - and I can't tell the difference with them either.  More than likely I have tin ears :D

 

For now I'll stick to SE with default cables and just enjoy the music.

 

Well DAMN my  Audio GD is set to arrive tommorow :O, but it's only a small margin. Trust me you don't really notice it unless your looking for it [and mind u you don't have to look hard] and what I liked about it was, when hearing song's I listen to HOURS on end WEEK after WEEK, I heard a immediate differance. Not a HUGE one but enough to make it worth the purchase. 

 
And besides going balanced means I'll NEVER "under amp" ANYTHING xD 
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread