Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 273

post #4081 of 7822
I don't really recall how big the 990s soundstage was. At the time, I found them to be pretty similar to the DT880s but every now and then the 990s would open up more when I wasn't being bum rushed by the treble & bass. On orchestral & classical music, it was more apparent but it didn't feel like a big difference. With that said, the soundstage is definitely bigger and less in your head than the 880s. Very airy and crisp. T90s also seem to produce a more coherent center imaging which was lacking in the 880s.
post #4082 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

I don't really recall how big the 990s soundstage was. At the time, I found them to be pretty similar to the DT880s but every now and then the 990s would open up more when I wasn't being bum rushed by the treble & bass. On orchestral & classical music, it was more apparent but it didn't feel like a big difference. With that said, the soundstage is definitely bigger and less in your head than the 880s. Very airy and crisp. T90s also seem to produce a more coherent center imaging which was lacking in the 880s.

Hey I have a question. I noticed you're selling your HD650 and H600 cables. I've grown attached to my DT880s and love the precise, bright and detailed sound. I was considering complimenting them with a slightly more relaxed sound. I've heard that the HD600s are what I'm looking for. I just don't want to be disappointed because I've heard that general consensus revolving people's purchases of HD650s.

post #4083 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post

Hey I have a question. I noticed you're selling your HD650 and H600 cables. I've grown attached to my DT880s and love the precise, bright and detailed sound. I was considering complimenting them with a slightly more relaxed sound. I've heard that the HD600s are what I'm looking for. I just don't want to be disappointed because I've heard that general consensus revolving people's purchases of HD650s.

 

You might want to try the Stax SRS-2170 system, I find that the Stax system has a smoother and relaxed, more detailed, more transparent top end over my DT880 600 Ohm cans. I normally use a La Figaro 336C OTL tube amp with my '880s.
post #4084 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post

Hey I have a question. I noticed you're selling your HD650 and H600 cables. I've grown attached to my DT880s and love the precise, bright and detailed sound. I was considering complimenting them with a slightly more relaxed sound. I've heard that the HD600s are what I'm looking for. I just don't want to be disappointed because I've heard that general consensus revolving people's purchases of HD650s.

You could also try the w1000x, it complimented the Dt 880 for me like magic.

 

There is also the ATH A900x, which I have in transit. It;s about $100 refrubished. And based on reviews it should b a little more relaxed as well, non the less I'll know for sure soon! 

post #4085 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post

Hey I have a question. I noticed you're selling your HD650 and H600 cables. I've grown attached to my DT880s and love the precise, bright and detailed sound. I was considering complimenting them with a slightly more relaxed sound. I've heard that the HD600s are what I'm looking for. I just don't want to be disappointed because I've heard that general consensus revolving people's purchases of HD650s.
I didn't have the HD650s actually, I had the HD600s. I sold them because I felt that they didn't compliment each other very well due to the fact that they're both trying to accomplish the same goal which is a flat/neutral-ish presentation. I find that I can relax even with the DT880s brightness so I never used the HD600s. I did use it once in a while for more fun songs where the HD600's bass has a little more impact and umph but that wasn't very often. It might work for you if you find the 880 fatiguing.
post #4086 of 7822

Totally forgot about the T90.. (how?  LOL)... good to see it's a high impedance can, too (so I can use with OTLs/the Crack)... will look into it.  As long as the T90's treble isn't rolled off and the mids aren't recessed, I'll consider it.

post #4087 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post


I didn't have the HD650s actually, I had the HD600s. I sold them because I felt that they didn't compliment each other very well due to the fact that they're both trying to accomplish the same goal which is a flat/neutral-ish presentation. I find that I can relax even with the DT880s brightness so I never used the HD600s. I did use it once in a while for more fun songs where the HD600's bass has a little more impact and umph but that wasn't very often. It might work for you if you find the 880 fatiguing.

I don't really find the DT880 fatiguing I just find them a little bit too "alive" or "excited" maybe due to the emphasis on the highs for when I'm relaxing. I honestly find them only slightly brighter than neutral since I've recabled them and upgraded my components. You definitely answered my question for the HD600s. I guess they're too similar to my DT880s and wouldn't warrant throwing down $400 for a new pair or $250 for a used pair.

 

I heard someone mentioned a Stax SR-2170 setup and an ATH-A900x. I was kind of looking to throw down some money into a pair of Audio Technica's or my first electrostatic rig.

 

I'll consider those two options and weigh it against purchasing an HE-500 or HE-400(which I heard the HE-400 was a little hot in the treble, not my "laidback" sound signature)

post #4088 of 7822

I have an Audio GD 10 SE which offers balance and SE. when I purchased my DT880/600 Moon audio installed female Audeze mini XLR which allows me to use balance or single end cables. Balance wins, more dynamics and detail better control of bass and of course louder. The SE sounds good but compared to balance the SQ is like attending a live concert vs listening to prerecorded music.

post #4089 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifimiami View Post

I have an Audio GD 10 SE which offers balance and SE. when I purchased my DT880/600 Moon audio installed female Audeze mini XLR which allows me to use balance or single end cables. Balance wins, more dynamics and detail better control of bass and of course louder. The SE sounds good but compared to balance the SQ is like attending a live concert vs listening to prerecorded music.

Please don't tell me that... I'm just now REALLY getting into the MAGIC of Dynamics and left and right audio and I do NOT need to end up with a balanced Dt 880 Pro 600 ohm. My wallet will hate you forever. 

 

Any tips on a good INTRO balanced Tube Amp? 

post #4090 of 7822
LittleDot MK VI+ biggrin.gif
post #4091 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

Please don't tell me that... I'm just now REALLY getting into the MAGIC of Dynamics and left and right audio and I do NOT need to end up with a balanced Dt 880 Pro 600 ohm. My wallet will hate you forever. 

 

Any tips on a good INTRO balanced Tube Amp? 

 

Hey! I thought you hated tubes!
post #4092 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

 

Hey!I thought you hated tubes!

Only cheap crappy ones like what I own :D 

post #4093 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

LittleDot MK VI+ biggrin.gif

Nice! I was hoping you'd say that. I'm hoping to run it alongside my Asgard 2 so I get the best of both worlds :] then maybe someday I'll move to a balanced setup

post #4094 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post

Nice! I was hoping you'd say that. I'm hoping to run it alongside my Asgard 2 so I get the best of both worlds :] then maybe someday I'll move to a balanced setup

It is a nice looking amp but I have never heard it though... I just popped that in there for Mshenay to impulse buy! biggrin.gif

post #4095 of 7822
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

It is a nice looking amp but I have never heard it though... I just popped that in there for Mshenay to impulse buy! biggrin.gif

Yea Impulse my tushy! the Little Dot 1+ is going to be my next Hybrid tube, and hopefully my last. Depends on how dynamic and well imaged it is! Then from there going to get my Dt 880 Pro 250s back, and start saving up for  a balanced dt 880 600 ohm with a balanced Tube... I only have space on my desk for about2 more meduim sized amps OR that one really big LIttle Dot MK VI.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread