Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 261

post #3901 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADCAM View Post

Thanks for the Lake People amp suggestion, any input on how the O2 or Matrix would compare to the G103?

 

Sorry, I can't help you on that one. I have little experience with amps outside of my Lake People G109 but I can tell you it drives the 880s beautifully. I mentioned the voltage because I was hearing a lot of people saying the 770/880/990s do best with lots of voltage but I wasn't very impressed with the voltage and power specs on most amps. The G103 has nearly as much power and voltage as the G109 which is a lot more than most similar amps out there.

 

Here's the G103/G109 thread BTW:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620082/lake-people-g109-g103-thread

 

Its not terribly active but I'm sure there's at least a few people around here that have the G103 and have experience with the O2 and/or Matrix. I know there are several others that have the G109 and its quite similar to the G103. Anyway, good luck. If you end up with the G103 I'm sure you'll like it.

post #3902 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollDragon View Post

My DT880's look wicked when worn, I really like their looks and have worn them out side.

The HFI-780's with the HM5 pads are even better, I have had people ask what they were and to try them out, then they get this big smile on their face when the Bass drops... Pure Priceless.

Now my comfort moded Monoprice 8323's look funny when worn as the headband gets completely square on a big head, the wife laughs every time I put them on... With the best sound you'll find for $20 anywhere I just ignore... biggrin.gif

I'd wear TakeT's H2+'s outside if there was a portable amp, flip the doors open and the BatPure sound would flow! I can see it now, sitting in Starbucks with the TakeT's on surrounded by Beats Monkeys. biggrin.gif

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

I have to agree with you on the style. I personally didn't like the look of my DT880 with a single-sided cable. Once I got them recabled for dual entry I feel like they have more substance and silver plated copper seems to match the metallic/grey styling rather than boring old black rubber vs. clear insulation.

 

Not to mention aftermarket headphone cables really do make a difference in the overall sound signature by a slight degree. I know this is more than a placebo because I have a good ear for pure tonal accuracy just like when I was underpowering my DT880s they had a tendency to sound dry, bright, and sibilant like many people say they do. Once I got a recable and started powering them with a Schiit Asgard 2 they really warmed up in the mid-bass region which people say sounds recessed(not true at all). When I hear people say they sound cold or lifeless I tell them it's because the synergy of your headphones may not match up with your amplifier or your sound signature preference isn't meant for the DT880. There are too many subjective differences that could go as deep as manufacturing changes at Beyerland. All I know is that I absolutely love my modified DT880s (250ohm) and I have my doubts that if I were to purchase 600ohms and jump on the bandwagon I would not notice any audible differences.

post #3903 of 8255

This is a dumb question but do you guys have the volume bar on the bottom right of the task bar all the way up?

post #3904 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChosen0ne View Post

This is a dumb question but do you guys have the volume bar on the bottom right of the task bar all the way up?

When I'm using an my DAC & amp, yes. (I control the volume from the amp)
post #3905 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADCAM View Post

Thanks for the Lake People amp suggestion, any input on how the O2 or Matrix would compare to the G103?

The problem with G103 is the price, it's always tempting to just add a little more for the G109 then for that price you can get a V100 which in the end is what I did. G109/V100 are supposedly on same performance just the G109 is cheaper to manufacture.

post #3906 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsmoh View Post

I have to agree with you on the style. I personally didn't like the look of my DT880 with a single-sided cable. Once I got them recabled for dual entry I feel like they have more substance and silver plated copper seems to match the metallic/grey styling rather than boring old black rubber vs. clear insulation.

 

Not to mention aftermarket headphone cables really do make a difference in the overall sound signature by a slight degree. I know this is more than a placebo because I have a good ear for pure tonal accuracy just like when I was underpowering my DT880s they had a tendency to sound dry, bright, and sibilant like many people say they do. Once I got a recable and started powering them with a Schiit Asgard 2 they really warmed up in the mid-bass region which people say sounds recessed(not true at all). When I hear people say they sound cold or lifeless I tell them it's because the synergy of your headphones may not match up with your amplifier or your sound signature preference isn't meant for the DT880. There are too many subjective differences that could go as deep as manufacturing changes at Beyerland. All I know is that I absolutely love my modified DT880s (250ohm) and I have my doubts that if I were to purchase 600ohms and jump on the bandwagon I would not notice any audible differences.


No I didn't care much for single sided cable either. Quality wise it's a great cable but It's coiled and I find them a lot heavier than a straight cable. Dual entry with a nice cable does seem to give the DT880's more substance and prestige.

 

I personally don't notice a difference in the sound of a cable as my ears don't have that same accuracy they once did. biggrin.gif

post #3907 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I am pretty excited as I placed an order for the DT880s 250 ohm premium version.  Also purchased the Just Mobile HeadStand. 

This will be my first pair of good headphones.  Originally thought I would just go straight into the HD800s but figured I'd start with these due to the excellent reviews and price.  Also since I am a newb I want to learn more and figure out which headphone sound I prefer.  After all, trying out all type of gear is a ton of fun! 

The amp/DAC combo to be used is the Audiolab M-DAC with the latest John Westlake firmware. 

I've heard my DT880/600 with an Audiolab M-DAC.
I've never heard my DT880s sound better.
I think you're REALLY going to like that combination.
The clarity and transparency are amazing!
Edited by Chris J - 7/17/13 at 4:36pm
post #3908 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


I've heard my DT880/600 with an Audiolab M-DAC.
I've never heard my DT880s sound better.
I think you're REALLY going to like that combination.
The clarity and transparency is amazing!


Thanks Chris.  I saw your comments earlier about this combination while scanning this thread and it made me happy.

post #3909 of 8255

I am also thinking about trying out a Woo Audio WA6.  Anyone here use this amp with these phones?

 

I am not sure how this amp would work with my MDAC though as I also use the MDAC as the source for my amp for my desktop speakers.  Therefore the RCA outs from the MDAC go to the sub and then my amp.  I guess I could split the RCA outs but then it would still turn on my sub due to a signal there.  How would I best hook it all up in my case?

 

Also, in terms of preamp and volume control, would I set the MDAC volume at "0" and just use the Woo Audio WA6 volume control?

 

I am just trying to wrap my head around setting this up without affecting sound quality or other issues.

post #3910 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I am also thinking about trying out a Woo Audio WA6.  Anyone here use this amp with these phones?

 

I am not sure how this amp would work with my MDAC though as I also use the MDAC as the source for my amp for my desktop speakers.  Therefore the RCA outs from the MDAC go to the sub and then my amp.  I guess I could split the RCA outs but then it would still turn on my sub due to a signal there.  How would I best hook it all up in my case?

 

Also, in terms of preamp and volume control, would I set the MDAC volume at "0" and just use the Woo Audio WA6 volume control?

 

I am just trying to wrap my head around setting this up without affecting sound quality or other issues.

 

drewTT

I set my volume at 0 for output to my amp. I too would like to hear what others do.

When headphones are plugged in the volume returns to what it was last set at  the last time HP's were used (but you probably knew that).

 

And I agree with Chris J on the DT880 - M-DAC combo. Very nice.

Make sure you find the filter that works best for you. There are several to chose from. I use the Optimal Transient DD for the DT880/600. Minimum Phase for all others (and output to amp.).

post #3911 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

 

drewTT

I set my volume at 0 for output to my amp. I too would like to hear what others do.

When headphones are plugged in the volume returns to what it was last set at  the last time HP's were used (but you probably knew that).

 

And I agree with Chris J on the DT880 - M-DAC combo. Very nice.

Make sure you find the filter that works best for you. There are several to chose from. I use the Optimal Transient DD for the DT880/600. Minimum Phase for all others (and output to amp.).


Thanks Shane.  I just had a crazy idea and that is to just get the Woo Audio WA2 and use it as a headphone amp AND also a preamp for my desktop speaker system.  That way I can just use the MDAC as a DAC only and bypass it's own preamp functionality.  I just wonder how different it will sound through my speakers when using the WA2 as preamp.


Edited by drewTT - 7/17/13 at 10:45am
post #3912 of 8255

I do think I should chill out a bit though and just take it easy.  Think I am getting a little too ahead of myself.  The MDAC and DT880 may be a fantastic combo and I may not even want to get into tubes.  So the plan is to listen for a few weeks and see how I like it.  Do the DT880s need time to break in?

post #3913 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I do think I should chill out a bit though and just take it easy.  Think I am getting a little too ahead of myself.  The MDAC and DT880 may be a fantastic combo and I may not even want to get into tubes.  So the plan is to listen for a few weeks and see how I like it.  Do the DT880s need time to break in?

 

This is the best thing you can do. Amp pairing is about getting the best match that plays to the strengths and/or minimizes the weaknesses of a particular headphone. As long as you've got enough voltage (generally, higher impedance headphones like voltage, lower impedance ones current), you should get a good idea, fundamentally, of what the DT880 sounds like. If you end up not liking the sound at that point, there's only a limited amount different amps will be able to do to alter it.

 

I know exactly what you're going through. When I got my DT880, the first thing I did (after playing everything I could think of through it) was start searching around on Head-Fi for all kinds of different amps and DACs and stuff. Before my pair arrived, even, I must have read half the threads about them on Head-Fi. It was only once I settled down a bit with the equipment I had on hand (modest by any estimation) and just enjoyed the music that I really appreciated what a great headphone it is.

 

As far as burn in/break in goes, I'll say upfront that I'm what you call a skeptic on that issue, so you can probably expect that I didn't hear any appreciable difference over time. They're a bit on the bright side (5 kHz spike and all) and they've stayed that way for the almost three years I've owned my pair. They've got at least 1,500 hours on them (probably closer to 2,000). If they're going to make some noticeable change, they can do it any time now! smile.gif

post #3914 of 8255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyris View Post

 

This is the best thing you can do. Amp pairing is about getting the best match that plays to the strengths and/or minimizes the weaknesses of a particular headphone. As long as you've got enough voltage (generally, higher impedance headphones like voltage, lower impedance ones current), you should get a good idea, fundamentally, of what the DT880 sounds like. If you end up not liking the sound at that point, there's only a limited amount different amps will be able to do to alter it.

 

I know exactly what you're going through. When I got my DT880, the first thing I did (after playing everything I could think of through it) was start searching around on Head-Fi for all kinds of different amps and DACs and stuff. Before my pair arrived, even, I must have read half the threads about them on Head-Fi. It was only once I settled down a bit with the equipment I had on hand (modest by any estimation) and just enjoyed the music that I really appreciated what a great headphone it is.

 

As far as burn in/break in goes, I'll say upfront that I'm what you call a skeptic on that issue, so you can probably expect that I didn't hear any appreciable difference over time. They're a bit on the bright side (5 kHz spike and all) and they've stayed that way for the almost three years I've owned my pair. They've got at least 1,500 hours on them (probably closer to 2,000). If they're going to make some noticeable change, they can do it any time now! smile.gif

 

I agree with everything said here... well, except that I am a believer in break-in of things mechanical. ;)

I did find a very slight change to the DT880 over time... it was miniscule, and it really didn't alter the sound in any obviously perceptible manner.

 

The advice here is very good. And yeah, if you don't like the basic sound of the DT 880, neither the amp, DAC, nor time will change that.

post #3915 of 8255

Yep, I agree with both Argyris and shane55.

 

I would add, though, that sometimes you can use EQ to get the sound you're looking for if in its stock form the headphones don't quite match your exact preferences. That's only in regards to sound signature, obviously. I'd recommend getting the headphones that already have the basic signature you're looking for but I've been pretty pleasantly surprised with the results of EQ'ing with some of my cans. Just use a good EQ and do it properly so there's no distortion. Basically, EQ *down* what you don't want as opposed to EQ'ing *up* what you do want, so that nothing is above the 0db mark, then use volume to compensate. In any case, its worth playing around with IMO.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread