Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 247

post #3691 of 7856

Just got my DT880 600 Ohm, They are just amazing! And thats W/O a proper amplification.

Glad that I picked this HP even though I didn't listened to them before :)

post #3692 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

He'll end up keeping them both. dt880smile.png


beerchug.gif

Nailed it! wink.gif
post #3693 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

That's why a lot of us end up having both... biggrin.gif

For me, head time is about 75-25 (DT880s-HD600) but HD600 compliments the 880s so well, that I can't justify selling them. I've thought about it but the internal struggle of knowing I'll regret doing so has kept me from going through with it. lol

Haha.. but, but.. I'm a poor student frown.gif

post #3694 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthegreat4 View Post

Haha.. but, but.. I'm a poor student frown.gif


And this is why I ended up staying with neither :D

post #3695 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post


And this is why I ended up staying with neither :D

How's that lol?

post #3696 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthegreat4 View Post

The DT880 seems more clinical, a bit more sterile, but with (at least that's what I think I noticed for now) a more clear soundstage (or maybe I'm just thinking that because everybody here's saying that). It seems like the DT880 is more suited for the more modern music genres and for recording. The HD600 however is just so warm and nice, and the mids sound fuller than on the DT880. The treble is a bit more attenuated in respect to the DT880. But I think I prefer listening to classical and jazz on the HD600 because of its rest, its warmth and full mids. However listening to classical and jazz on the DT880 is also very cool because you can hear for example the growl of a saxophone better on the DT880. Damnit..

I'm left undecided...

I tried the HD600's last week for the first time at a store and i noticed that theu fall behind the DT880's in most categories except the imaging. My DT880's sound faster and has more detail (just my opinion). Believe it or not, DT880's vocals were much smoother, especially female vocals. I dont know why but there's a thing about the 880's vocals that is just breathtaking. Listen to Evanescence - Hello on 880's and you'll know what i mean. Soundstage wise, i dont notice any difference, they're about the same. The HD600 have better imaging though. They're both very transparent headphones, no headphone is better than the other in terms of transparency.
post #3697 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post


I tried the HD600's last week for the first time at a store and i noticed that they fall behind the DT880's in most categories except the imaging

 

It comes down to personal preference in the end (again I own and really like both cans) - but I've highlighted the above.  Some things to consider ........

 

  1. What was the source used with the HD600s in the store?
  2. How long did you 'try them' for?
  3. Were you switching back and forth?

 

In my experience - if you're used to the DT880 signature, the HD600s won't "wow" you at first listen.  Switching between the cans you know (DT880) and the ones you don't (HD600) will just make the HD600 seem veiled (polite, dull - pick your descriptor).

 

Try the HD600 for 2-3 days exclusively, then switch to the DT880 - you'll find the opposite.  All of a sudden the DT880 will sound overly bright, unnatural, and the mids will appear very recessed in comparison.

 

My advice is not to make a judgement call between the two until you can hear both, on your own equipment, for more than a day.

 

Again - it comes down to preference - but there is probably a reason that many DT880 owners also own the HD600 and vice-versa wink.gif

post #3698 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonfuzed View Post


I tried the HD600's last week for the first time at a store and i noticed that theu fall behind the DT880's in most categories except the imaging. My DT880's sound faster and has more detail (just my opinion). Believe it or not, DT880's vocals were much smoother, especially female vocals. I dont know why but there's a thing about the 880's vocals that is just breathtaking. Listen to Evanescence - Hello on 880's and you'll know what i mean. Soundstage wise, i dont notice any difference, they're about the same. The HD600 have better imaging though. They're both very transparent headphones, no headphone is better than the other in terms of transparency.

What kind of amp and source were you listening to the HD600 on?  The HD600 scales very well.

post #3699 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

It comes down to personal preference in the end (again I own and really like both cans) - but I've highlighted the above.  Some things to consider ........
  1. What was the source used with the HD600s in the store?
  2. How long did you 'try them' for?
  3. Were you switching back and forth?

In my experience - if you're used to the DT880 signature, the HD600s won't "wow" you at first listen.  Switching between the cans you know (DT880) and the ones you don't (HD600) will just make the HD600 seem veiled (polite, dull - pick your descriptor).

Try the HD600 for 2-3 days exclusively, then switch to the DT880 - you'll find the opposite.  All of a sudden the DT880 will sound overly bright, unnatural, and the mids will appear very recessed in comparison.

My advice is not to make a judgement call between the two until you can hear both, on your own equipment, for more than a day.

Again - it comes down to preference - but there is probably a reason that many DT880 owners also own the HD600 and vice-versa wink.gif

I tried the HD600's with a some kind of sennheiser amp with a big volume knob, i dont know its name though. Tried them for about 25 minutes, my thoughts were basically “Is this it?" Dont get me wrong, its a good headphone but i prefer the 880's by a mile. Thats just me though. Also, the mids on the DT880's are not recessed at all, they're neutral. Coming from a midrange-heavy headphone like the 600's or 650's, they do feel recessed.

EDIT: no i didn't switch between them and the dt880's back and forth but i payed attention to the sound and noticed a lot of things about the sound signature.
Edited by xkonfuzed - 6/26/13 at 10:43pm
post #3700 of 7856
Like I said in my previous post - to be fair you need to give them more time.

But preference is individual - so if you think the Beyers are streets ahead for you - then I respect your opinion. I do wonder if that opinion might change after spending a couple of days exclusively with the Senns and then retrying the DT880 again though.
post #3701 of 7856
I can definitely spot the differences after spending a day or two with the hd600s. Mids seemed really recessed, bass impact is lighter and the imaging is a little smeared. Never found them too bright tho. Highs are super smooth on my set so it seems.
post #3702 of 7856

The highs on the DT880s are the smoothest I have ever heard out of any headphone out there.

 

You can't really figure out how a headphone works unless you spend a few solid hours with it, at least.

post #3703 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

I can definitely spot the differences after spending a day or two with the hd600s. Mids seemed really recessed, bass impact is lighter and the imaging is a little smeared. Never found them too bright tho. Highs are super smooth on my set so it seems.


That'll be the Darkvoice wink.gif.  My LD MKIV is the same.  Beautiful with the DT880.

post #3704 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Like I said in my previous post - to be fair you need to give them more time.

But preference is individual - so if you think the Beyers are streets ahead for you - then I respect your opinion. I do wonder if that opinion might change after spending a couple of days exclusively with the Senns and then retrying the DT880 again though.

 

Well, I lived with the HD650 for about five years and was never quite satisfied. Extreme treble felt rolled off and lower treble a bit harsh, or maybe just over-pronounced. Now I've got the DT880 and can't really pick a fault outside that (very easily correctable) treble peak to 6khz. To me it's a very definite improvement in the direction of neutrality.

post #3705 of 7856
Quote:
Originally Posted by pp312 View Post

 

Well, I lived with the HD650 for about five years and was never quite satisfied. Extreme treble felt rolled off and lower treble a bit harsh, or maybe just over-pronounced. Now I've got the DT880 and can't really pick a fault outside that (very easily correctable) treble peak to 6khz. To me it's a very definite improvement in the direction of neutrality.

 

And I'd agree with you regarding the HD650 - but I was talking about the HD600 vs DT880 wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread