or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 226

post #3376 of 10426
Putting some felt behind the drivers is known to bring the treble down some.
post #3377 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post

I read an article or post waxing that the DT 880s perceived brightness isn't actually the fault of the headphones (and in fact the DT 880 2003 was much brighter), but of recordings. When played back on speakers, high frequencies are the first to go as you increase listening distance. Many recordings have a built-in brightness to compensate for this high frequency dissipation (pretty much everything is mixed for speaker playback except binaural recordings). To this effect, everything that sounds treble-strident on my headphones sound fine on my speakers. Not sure how the conjecture holds up in modern practice, though.

Pretty much sums up the reason i hate speakers. The distance from the music to your ears affects the sound way too much- lack of treblr, lack of detail, lack of emotion at all. And when you go to a concert, they eq it like crap. Heck, ive heard 32,000 dollar speakers, and that still lacked setail. Insanely neutral beyond all belief (studios are fun).
post #3378 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3X0 View Post

I read an article or post waxing that the DT 880s perceived brightness isn't actually the fault of the headphones (and in fact the DT 880 2003 was much brighter), but of recordings. When played back on speakers, high frequencies are the first to go as you increase listening distance. Many recordings have a built-in brightness to compensate for this high frequency dissipation (pretty much everything is mixed for speaker playback except binaural recordings). To this effect, everything that sounds treble-strident on my headphones sound fine on my speakers. Not sure how the conjecture holds up in modern practice, though.

Pretty much sums up the reason i hate speakers. The distance from the music to your ears affects the sound way too much- lack of treblr, lack of detail, lack of emotion at all. And when you go to a concert, they eq it like crap. Heck, ive heard 32,000 dollar speakers, and that still lacked setail. Insanely neutral beyond all belief, though (studios are fun).
post #3379 of 10426
When posting from a phone, hit reply once and refresh to see if it went through. Otherwise, do it again. I found that it cuts down on multiple posts that way. The mobile version of head-fi is a little wonky like that.
post #3380 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEleventy View Post

When posting from a phone, hit reply once and refresh to see if it went through. Otherwise, do it again. I found that it cuts down on multiple posts that way. The mobile version of head-fi is a little wonky like that.

Only I can't copy paste so I'd have to rewrite it all. Can't find any settings to work on it either :/ Maybe its time for a new phone.


Edited by daleb - 5/22/13 at 10:58am
post #3381 of 10426
Oh, boo. Yeah, c&p is key. frown.gif
post #3382 of 10426

Should I worry about my room mates or anyone else at college stealing these?

I'm not in college yet, but I will be next year and kind of scared that could happen... Not that the college I'm going to is like that, its filled with nerds...

...

Wait, that make me more nervous, they could be audiophiles, too!
 

post #3383 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

So, the dt880 wins at bass, treble, speed, and comfort. The hd 600s win at imaging and mids. The q701s win at depth/width and speed as well. Pretty much the only thing the dt880s dont win at is mids, i dont want as huge of a soundstage as the 701s... Plus detail is very important to me. Is the dt880 really that bad at vocals? Hmmm.... I wonder if a boost to upper mids could fix that when i need it...

 

It's not quite as simple as that.  All 3 headphones give stellar performance at their price point - in particular the DT880 and HD600.  I tried to provide context in my comparisons by describing what I personally like.  Others (including you) may be very different.  Our ears (as well as our individual tastes) are unique.

 

You originally mentioned you wanted slight emphasis / focus on the mid-range.  Comparatively, both the HD600 and K701 have more forward mids than the DT880 - but that doesn't mean the mids on the DT880 are bad or recessed.  They are actually pretty good (especially when driven by a decent tube amp IMO).  It's just that comparatively the HD600 (especially) is more forward.

 

Is there any way you can get to a local meet at some stage?  There really is no substitute to hearing these different headphones with your own ears.

post #3384 of 10426

There is a local meet in Dallas on June 9th, and I won't be buying anything until June 14th. I will hopefully  be able to go to it. Just finding out opinions beforehand. I don't know if they'll have any of these at the meet, though.

The lower mids are louder then on my 280s, but the upper mids aren't. I don't think I'll have any problems, though...

 

Even if I don't go to the meet, I can try out the HD 600s whenever I want. There's a place to try out sennheiser and grados headphones right down the road from my university.


Edited by daleb - 5/22/13 at 2:09pm
post #3385 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

There is a local meet in Dallas on June 9th, and I won't be buying anything until June 14th. I will hopefully  be able to go to it. Just finding out opinions beforehand. I don't know if they'll have any of these at the meet, though.

 

Find the meet thread, and request that if anyone has a pair of the headphones that you want to compare - that they bring them along.

 

You are lucky - I live in a small city at the tip of NZ's South Island.  No decent audio shops, and no local meets.  One of these days I'll time one of my US business trips to coincide with one of the big NY or LA meets hopefully.

post #3386 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

 

Find the meet thread, and request that if anyone has a pair of the headphones that you want to compare - that they bring them along.

 

You are lucky - I live in a small city at the tip of NZ's South Island.  No decent audio shops, and no local meets.  One of these days I'll time one of my US business trips to coincide with one of the big NY or LA meets hopefully.

This has always bugged me. I live in a huge commercial city with 1.223 million people living in it, and in its entirety, there is only one audio shop. Meant for speakers. It carries some sennheisers and grados though, but really... How does that happen?

 

Edit: supposedly they carry beyerdynamic now, but only the T1...

Edit2:They named a pair of headphones after Tesla? That's it, for purely nerdy reasons, I am a Beyerdynamic fan over everything else.


Edited by daleb - 5/22/13 at 2:16pm
post #3387 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleb View Post

So, the dt880 wins at bass, treble, speed, and comfort. The hd 600s win at imaging and mids. The q701s win at depth/width and speed as well. Pretty much the only thing the dt880s dont win at is mids, i dont want as huge of a soundstage as the 701s... Plus detail is very important to me. Is the dt880 really that bad at vocals? Hmmm.... I wonder if a boost to upper mids could fix that when i need it...

 

 

Anyone who says DT880's are bad at vocals needs to delete their head-fi account, and never speak another word about headphones as long as they live. It's the only decent thing to do, because its a ridiculous statement. 

 

The DT880's are pretty much flat from 20 hz to 7khz, +- 3db, and then they have a slight peak from 7 to 10khz, and from then on are pretty much flat again. There's no technical reason why DT880's would be anything less than great for their price at ANY type of sound reproduction, including music, and including vocal music. Same goes for HD600's and K701's.  They're all excellent headphones.  Any of them is a potential best choice for you.  I have both the DT880 600 Ohm and K701. Don't have the HD600's, but I have the HD650's.  Of all the headphones, in terms of their head-time,  K701 gets the most attention, then DT880, and then HD650's.

 

If you ask which of these is the best headphone, regardless of sound preference (and they're all very similar sounding, differences are in small nuances),  K701 would be a definite winner for me.  It just sounds like a technically superior headphone compared to the DT880 and HD650. I know that might be an illusion due to its sound signature, but of all three, it definitely sounds the most transparent, detailed, fast, punchy, spacious...it gives off slight nuances in sound more obviously than the other two. It is also the most "impressive" sounding, while the DT880 is the most "unimpressive", because it always sounds somehow neutral, it never wakes up truly, it stays within some sort of comfort zone, its always polite sounding. Now, that depends on a sound source and materials. If the recordings are bad or average, its going to sound average on all three headphones, again K701 showing the issues most clearly. But if a recording is brilliant, then K701's achieve something magical that neither of the two can. I just feel that they do everything with such ease. They never struggle, they always sound like they're under full control. Bass is never flabby, sound is never muddy, its never overly bright or dark, it just stays true to the recording. In simplest words, I feel like the only limitation to how good the K701 sound is the recording, with other two its the headphone itself. This is because the DT880 and HD650 dont vary nearly as much as the K701 depending on a record quality, that's why I say that the K701 is the most transparent.  It's also better extended than HD650's in both directions, and better extended in highs than the DT880's. It has a bigger soundstage than both as well, with the DT880 having the smallest one. Again, all have a big soundstage, but K701's is massive.  3-dimensionality of a soundstage is average on the K701, meaning that it has the highest soundstage width to depth ratio of the three.   DT880 and HD650 have a pretty round soundstage, depth and width and on par with each other, while the K701 feels like it can extend further in width than in depth. That said, its still probably deeper than the other two if we were to just compare their soundstage depths.  It depends on a recording a lot too as I said before. 

For example, Bob Marley & The Wailers - Kaya (2013)  24/96 album sounds absolutely spectacular on the K701. Its just ridiculous. The bass is so full and present and warm, the soundstage huge, details flying in from far away, vocal dead center and so realistic sounding.  On other two, it's not nearly as impressive.

 

So, without going too much into K701's..... the conclusion would be...DT880's are the best all-rounders.  They will almost never sound bad, unless the recording is bad. If a recording is good, regardless of the genre of music, they will sound good, great or excellent.  K701's on the other hand will sound horrible with some music, and absolutely brilliant with other, and I'm not talking about music genres, but record quality. They can be mindblowing with electronic music too....Infected Mushroom albums come to mind. Again, pure eargasm.

BUT. If you need ONE headphone, go for the DT880.  If you want a headphone that you're ready to take risks with looking for that perfect musical match to achieve audio nirvana, go for K701. For me, it's worth it.  DT880's or HD650's never transfer as much emotion trough music as K701's do.  Sometimes parts of music that I just ignore on DT880's or HD650's make my eyes water while listening to K701's. There is something about their sound that makes them sound like "you're there" while listening to music, I don't know whether its their amazing transient response that the other two can only dream off, the detail, the soundstage...I dont know. You will hear a lot of talk about them being cold, boring or analytical. That is true, they are analytical, and therefore fully depend on the recording.  Cold and boring? Yes, if the recording is such. Listen to that Bob Marley album on them, and if you tell me they're cold and boring, you have no soul. :P 

HD650's are the opposite. They still sound similar, but different enough to totally change the listening experience.  DT880's are on the other side of the spectrum. They're almost totally neutral, but not as transparent as K701.

 

In any case, all three headphones deserve 5 stars in my opinion, because listening to either of them, its hard to fault them, especially at their prices.  I just happen to prefer the K701 over the other two, by a pretty wide margin.


Edited by derbigpr - 5/22/13 at 3:04pm
post #3388 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post

 

 

Anyone who says DT880's are bad at vocals needs to delete their head-fi account, and never speak another word about headphones as long as they live. It's the only decent thing to do.


Lol, I'm not saying that, I'm just trying to figure out impressions. I wonder if I can convince that store to let me listen to these... Its run out of a home, stylized as a professional speakers shop.

post #3389 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbigpr View Post

Anyone who says DT880's are bad at vocals needs to delete their head-fi account, and never speak another word about headphones as long as they live. It's the only decent thing to do.

 

It wasn't what was said.  Once again - people need to read the actual comments - including their context - BEFORE jumping into a conversation with half the story ...........

post #3390 of 10426

Oh, jeez. That post became something big.
Edit: I see. I still think I'm going with the DT880s, because I have a very huge and constantly changing spectrum of music I like to listen to.  Plus I'm scared of sound stage at the moment. The K/Q701s will be something I get later down the line, once I decide I want a huge soundstage headphone.


Edited by daleb - 5/22/13 at 3:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread