Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 204

post #3046 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken View Post

More fatiguing? That's the first time I've heard that. What were you amping them with?

 

Yes, that surprises me!

Especially since I don't think the DT880s as being fatiguing at all!

If you want a fatiguing pair of headphones, let me know, you can buy my Skull Candy IEMs.

The sound between the 32, 250 and 600 Ohm 'phones would have to change quite a bit before I would call any of them fatiguing!   confused_face_2.gif

post #3047 of 8065

Actually, I'd agree that the DT880 sounds fatiguing... especially with some modern recordings that boost the 8-10K regions to give "false details".

 

They are fine at low volume, but as soon as I try to simulate that "live level", they are just so piercing that it's unbearable.

 

That was one of the factor that pushed me to let my pair go (the other is the increasingly higher amping requirements at higher volumes). But I'd say... for low level listening, they're still awesome.

post #3048 of 8065

I'd say they can be fatiguing for sure, but not that much. I've rarely heard any sibilance on mine.

post #3049 of 8065

I agree with Bill-P. Any headphone with a treble spike like most Beyers have are capable of being fatiguing.

 

And in regards to 32 vs 250 vs 600 ohms... there are probably many 880s with a larger standard driver variance between them than there is variance shown in the FR graphs that were posted. So I don't quite understand this perception that you know how the 250 vs 600 ohm sounds relative to each other and are surprised by someone else's experience differing. This is why I've always considered the difference between the 250 and 600 ohm versions to be a smaller difference than most people purport, because the difference they claim is very slight and yet they almost never agknowledge the fact that slight (and sometimes not-so-slight) differences can be caused by simple driver variance alone. Who's to say the difference you heard was the difference in impedance and not driver variance? If it was a difference you noticed while using a high output impedance amplifier than its indeed likely that it was due to the impedance difference. But if it was a low output impedance amp I think its more likely you were hearing standard driver variance.

 

The most sound advice I've heard given to people asking whether they should get the 250 ohm or 600 ohm version is-- if you have or intend to use a high output impedance amplifier like an OTL amp get the 600 ohm because it will perform slightly better. Otherwise they will sound the same.


Edited by devhen - 4/8/13 at 1:34am
post #3050 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post

I agree with Bill-P. Any headphone with a treble spike like most Beyers have are capable of being fatiguing.

 

And in regards to 32 vs 250 vs 600 ohms... there are probably many 880s with a larger standard driver variance between them than there is variance shown in the FR graphs that were posted. So I don't quite understand this perception that you know how the 250 vs 600 ohm sounds relative to each other and are surprised by someone else's experience differing. This is why I've always considered the difference between the 250 and 600 ohm versions to be a smaller difference than most people purport, because the difference they claim is very slight and yet they almost never agknowledge the fact that slight (and sometimes not-so-slight) differences can be caused by simple driver variance alone. Who's to say the difference you heard was the difference in impedance and not driver variance? If it was a difference you noticed while using a high output impedance amplifier than its indeed likely that it was due to the impedance difference. But if it was a low output impedance amp I think its more likely you were hearing standard driver variance.

 

The most sound advice I've heard given to people asking whether they should get the 250 ohm or 600 ohm version is-- if you have or intend to use a high output impedance amplifier like an OTL amp get the 600 ohm because it will perform slightly better. Otherwise they will sound the same.

 

+1 Sounds logical, but for me it was the same outcome on a tube amp with unknown output resistance and a o2 with low output resistance. Another thing as that many is comparing the premium 600 to the pro 250.
post #3051 of 8065

So I got myself a pair of the DT880s :D .  Thank you, JerseyD for a quick and easy transaction, it was a pleasure!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by askjeebs View Post

a neutral amp will pretty much just let you raise the volume - my ears confirm this so far. Pairing it with the dt880s, which are also quite neutral, might sound flat or unappealing for many people. Do you have another pair of headphones? If you do, it might pay to try a range of amps and see if you'd prefer a neutral one or maybe something with more colour.

 


Yes, I also have esw9 and hd280.  After a short listen and a comparison between them to some electro swing, I can see what people mean about their highs.  They are certainly a little strong.  Other than that, i like them, they were extremely comfortable, with a great natural, airy sound.  A great first open can experience.  The bass instruments, and the female vocals sounded more pleasing on the esw9, though it may be I'm more used to the closed sound. I read on here that leather pads might help subdue the highs. 

 

About the amp, if it just raises the volume, how loud does everyone listen to their music? basshead.gif There was a certain change in volumes when I switched between headphones, as they each have their requirements.  But even my ipod, at max was giving more volume than i wanted to listen comfortably for a long period. I've stood next to speaker/under woofers in clubs, but it always had a temporary impact on my hearing, no need to repeat at home. k701smile.gif

post #3052 of 8065

One thing that I have observed in all the DT880 comments I have seen for the past 1-1/2 years is that there does not seem to be a lot of consensus as to how DT880s sound

 

some say neutral and nicely balanced

some say fatiguing

some say too bright

some say too bland

some say brighter than AKG K70x/Q701

some say not as bright as AKG K70x/Q701

some say they sound almost the same as AKG K70x/Q701

different iimpedances sound different

different impedances all sound the same

 

etc

 

etc

 

etc

 

anyway............................deadhorse.gif

post #3053 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

One thing that I have observed in all the DT880 comments I have seen for the past 1-1/2 years is that there does not seem to be a lot of consensus as to how DT880s sound

 

some say neutral and nicely balanced

some say fatiguing

some say too bright

some say too bland

 

 

...

 

 

You'll find this with most phones, everyone has an opinion and preference.

 

Also everyone has different ideas on how to power them, I don't find them all that bright at all.

 

Going from my DLIII > DV336 to a solid-state Zero they're a different headphone.

 

They're not nearly as bright (fatiguing) as a HD800 and look at there status.

post #3054 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

One thing that I have observed in all the DT880 comments I have seen for the past 1-1/2 years is that there does not seem to be a lot of consensus as to how DT880s sound

 

some say neutral and nicely balanced

some say fatiguing

some say too bright

some say too bland

some say brighter than AKG K70x/Q701

some say not as bright as AKG K70x/Q701

some say they sound almost the same as AKG K70x/Q701

different iimpedances sound different

different impedances all sound the same

 

etc

 

etc

 

etc

 

anyway............................deadhorse.gif

I think the only consensus is that they aren't dark/veiled. Seriously though, I think all headphones experience similar debates over how they sound. We all have different preferences and equipment. Not to mention that some persons seem to be more prone to listening fatigue than others and we hear differently.

 

I find the the DT880s neutral and nicely balanced with my DAC1. 

post #3055 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajani View Post

 

I find the the DT880s neutral and nicely balanced with my DAC1. 

 

I found them unlistenable on my DAC1-Pre. Too bright for my ears.

But now that I have my Audiolab M-Dac, I can apply one of the roll-off filters... and they are just fine. Darn near perfect.

post #3056 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

 

I found them unlistenable on my DAC1-Pre. Too bright for my ears.

But now that I have my Audiolab M-Dac, I can apply one of the roll-off filters... and they are just fine. Darn near perfect.

 

Really?

 

How old are you?

 

I ask because they don't seem overly bright to me, not at all. But I'm 54 years old, it may be that my hearing in the upper registers is not as acute as yours...

post #3057 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post

Really?

 

How old are you?

 

I ask because they don't seem overly bright to me, not at all. But I'm 54 years old, it may be that my hearing in the upper registers is not as acute as yours...

 

Really.
 

Older than you by 3 years.  wink_face.gif

post #3058 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

 

Really.
 

Older than you by 3 years.  wink_face.gif

 

 

Huh.

 

Well, I'm happy that at least you've found a solution.

 

beerchug.gif

post #3059 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post

 

 

Huh.

 

Well, I'm happy that at least you've found a solution.

 

beerchug.gif

 

Hahaha....
Yeah, they were very close to the For Sale thread. Been sitting on a shelf in the closet for a couple years. Glad I got them 'back'.
Cheers.

post #3060 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55 View Post

 

I found them unlistenable on my DAC1-Pre. Too bright for my ears.

But now that I have my Audiolab M-Dac, I can apply one of the roll-off filters... and they are just fine. Darn near perfect.

lol. That's why I sometimes have to laugh when people get into arguments about how an item sounds and what is over-rated etc... We all hear differently. I've tended to like headphones and speakers, other persons claim are bright... 

 

I also enjoy using my DAC1 with the K701's. Which other persons claim should be an atrocious combination.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread