Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 197

post #2941 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by seag33k View Post

Would adding the FiiO E9 desktop app suffice? or do they need an even beefier amp? Sounds like the O2+ODAC Combo 
might be a good option but that's another 300 bones.

I have an E09K, for the money, it is a great amp for the 600 Ohm '880s
post #2942 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


I have an E09K, for the money, it is a great amp for the 600 Ohm '880s

 

Do you like the E09K or M-Stage for the 880 more? 

post #2943 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

Do you like the E09K or M-Stage for the 880 more? 

The E09K.
I really can't recommend the M Stage for the '880s, the sound tends to blandness.
The M Stage certainly has enough power to easily drive any impedance of '880 or '990 though.
post #2944 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnottj View Post


In my experience of running them off an E10, you'll be OK so long as you don't play anything too 'challenging' ... play music with lots of dynamics or low bass, for example, and the E17 will clip and you'll hear distortion.  The E17 will certainly drive em loud enough, but the bass will go a bit farty on some tracks (the most obvious clipping effect I noticed, anyway.)

The 600 ohm 880s really do need a decent mains-powered amp to be driven properly. I use a matrix m stage and that seems to just about do the job ...

I agree with your comments WRT the E17..............it's almost good enough for most music most of the time!


Strictly speaking, the 600 Ohm DT880 needs an amp that can output enough voltage to drive it.
A battery operated amp like the O2 would do it, the O2 uses a pair of 9 volt batteries.
post #2945 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


I agree with your comments WRT the E17..............it's almost good enough for most music most of the time!


Strictly speaking, the 600 Ohm DT880 needs an amp that can output enough voltage to drive it.
A battery operated amp like the O2 would do it, the O2 uses a pair of 9 volt batteries.

 

Yeah, even out of my iPod with an E7 they can sound perfectly decent with lots of music, and then some track comes along and makes the bass go a bit mental smile.gif

 

Fair enough about the O2 - I've not tried one - I was just going from personal experience and should have qualified my statement as such!

post #2946 of 8210

I get a smooth treble, get more body on the mid range (vocal), get a tighter mid-bass, and the imaging capability on the DT880 is amazing when i paired it with the Dacport.

post #2947 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnottj View Post

 

Yeah, even out of my iPod with an E7 they can sound perfectly decent with lots of music, and then some track comes along and makes the bass go a bit mental smile.gif

 

Fair enough about the O2 - I've not tried one - I was just going from personal experience and should have qualified my statement as such!

 

About the O2, headphones and driving them with a matching headphone amp is way too complicated........................confused_face_2.gif

post #2948 of 8210

Hi, sorry to interupt your current discussions, but I just had a quick dt880 question.  I need a full-size, comfortable set of cans for work, but they can't leak much sound (at easy listenning volume levels).  Is the dt880 a semi-open can that fits the bill?

- thanks in advance.
 

post #2949 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithaliens View Post

Hi, sorry to interupt your current discussions, but I just had a quick dt880 question.  I need a full-size, comfortable set of cans for work, but they can't leak much sound (at easy listenning volume levels).  Is the dt880 a semi-open can that fits the bill?

- thanks in advance.
 

 

 

They leak like pretty much any opened headphones. I dont really get the "semi-open" thing about them. There's really not any significant difference in terms of leakage or sound isolation compared to DT990's.

post #2950 of 8210

The HE-400s (and presumably all planar headphones) leak so much sound it's not even funny. It's almost like they're putting more sound out than in! biggrin.gif

 

The DT880s leak a fair bit but if you don't crank it up, I can't imagine you'll really bother people too much... I work in a cube and I think it blocks enough sound to mitigate any offensive/annoying leakage from my KSC75s. But that's pretty dependent on your situation and how loud you'd listen at work. Personally I try to keep my music at a reasonable volume that doesn't get me too engaged in the music, preventing me from being as productive as I could be. They do leak, though, so if you're in a place where everybody likes it to be quiet (we're talking library during finals week) then you should go for the DT770s. Go for the 32nd anniversary ones if you can get your hands on them.

post #2951 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithaliens View Post

Hi, sorry to interupt your current discussions, but I just had a quick dt880 question.  I need a full-size, comfortable set of cans for work, but they can't leak much sound (at easy listenning volume levels).  Is the dt880 a semi-open can that fits the bill?

- thanks in advance.
 

Hi. I'd look at the DT660s instead. They isolate extremely well.

post #2952 of 8210

I noticed that with the O2 amp set on 2.5x gain,  it doesn't seem to have "enough" juice to power DT880 600ohm. Anyone else with an O2 amp have similar experiences?


Edited by youra6 - 3/27/13 at 11:27am
post #2953 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by youra6 View Post

I noticed that with the O2 amp set on 1.5x gain,  it doesn't seem to have "enough" juice to power DT880 600ohm. Anyone else with an O2 amp have similar experiences?

 

My solid-state desktop amp doesn't power the 600Ohm DT880s ~ I wouldn't think any portable amplification would stand a chance, certainly not too OTL tube amp standards.

post #2954 of 8210
My O2 amps it perfectly and I only go half way.
post #2955 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

My O2 amps it perfectly and I only go half way.

 

Do you set it to low gain (2.5X) or high gain (6.5X)?

 

Thanks!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread