Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 194

post #2896 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

Its best to have your headphones on,when this happens!!!

 

 

On his head, that is. tongue.gif

post #2897 of 8065

 

Listening to the DT880s for the first time in like 2 weeks... damn these things have some treble! Playing some Infected Mushroom now and it's almost too much. The imaging is ridiculous. Sound are coming from everywhere. These things are detail overload. Such a change-up from the HD650s. I'm loving it but it's drastic. I used to revel in this kind of treble and clarity but it's almost too much right now. God, I love how quick they are though... the music is just cut and dried and alive! It demands your attention!

 

Beyer, damn. Just... damn.

post #2898 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by devhen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Getting custom cups from MCA, here they are so far. He said they'll be done over the weekend.

Pic isn't working for me. Would love to see it though.

Fixed.

 

Wow, very cool looking! Can't wait to see the final project.

post #2899 of 8065
Not sure this is where I jump in being a newbie but here I go all the same. I just sent my 880, 600 ohms back. It wasn't nearly loud enough with my Integra Preamp, and when used with a tube headphone amp, I still found there just wasn't enough volume. The sound was sweet, just not loud enough so I have a pair of 250 ohm on the way. I'm hoping my 47 year old ears can enjoy what I remember a couple decades ago. What do you all think? Am I going to be happy?
post #2900 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfetan44 View Post

Getting custom cups from MCA, here they are so far. He said they'll be done over the weekend.

 

 

 

 

 

MCA?

post #2901 of 8065

Martin Custom Audio.

 

Cheers

post #2902 of 8065
Did two days of posts disappear?
Anyone know why?
PM me please......?
post #2903 of 8065

@roadkingrich: You have an amp problem. No way is the 880/660 in itself a soft device. It's also not all that hard to drive, though tube amps usually do better than SS.
 

post #2904 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkingrich View Post

Not sure this is where I jump in being a newbie but here I go all the same. I just sent my 880, 600 ohms back. It wasn't nearly loud enough with my Integra Preamp, and when used with a tube headphone amp, I still found there just wasn't enough volume. The sound was sweet, just not loud enough so I have a pair of 250 ohm on the way. I'm hoping my 47 year old ears can enjoy what I remember a couple decades ago. What do you all think? Am I going to be happy?

 

I have a pair of DT880/600 Ohm, I can't use it with a lot of my gear.

Not enough volume with an iPod, an iPad, headphone jack on my notebook computer.

A FiiO E17 can be marginal if you want high volume.

 

Best thing for 600 Ohm DT880s is a dedicated desktop amp beacuse they can output enough voltage to drive 600 Ohm cans.

I guess your tube headphone amp has an output transformer?

post #2905 of 8065

I don't know what people are talking about... my iPad 4 drives them to perfectly listenable volumes (at 90% volume on the iPad) and my E17 gets more than loud @ 30. It goes up to 60 if I remember correctly. So no... the E17 drives them a lot louder than "marginally".

post #2906 of 8065

If I really crank the E17 it runs out of headroom on bass heavy material.

 

Sure, you can run the DT880/600 Ohm off an iPod or an iPad and get reasonable volume, but why would you want to?

Personally, I don't use the iPad with DT880/600 Ohm. 

post #2907 of 8065

I've used the iPad to listen to music for 10 minutes at a time while I download something to watch on it. That's it. I haven't heard them distort on the E17 though.

post #2908 of 8065

After working through this thread (took me about a week) and listening to 770, 880 and 990 (although all at 250 Ohms) I decided to go with the 880 600 Ohms. 880 was immediately clear after hearing the 3 in comparison (first 5 minutes I thought the 990s are the way to go, but that switched to 880s some tracks later). Big question, not only for me as I read, was 250 or 600 Ohms. I have a fresh Audinst MX2 here. Specs and initial reviews say that the amp in this unit is a lot better than in the MX1. And I am sure to go with an dedicated amp for home use later this year (in focus are Bottlehead Crack and SPL Auditor) and the Audinst will work solo only at office.

Saw the 880s today used in good condition for under 200€ with warranty in ebay and could not resist. So I hope the MX2 will be able to drive them to an enjoyable level (in terms of quality) that is sufficient for office, while the full package waiting at home. I will let you know.

post #2909 of 8065

Just placed an order for a brand new DT880 600 ohm.... awwwwwwwww yeahhhhhhhhhh

post #2910 of 8065
Quote:
Originally Posted by yokken View Post

I don't know what people are talking about... my iPad 4 drives them to perfectly listenable volumes (at 90% volume on the iPad) and my E17 gets more than loud @ 30. It goes up to 60 if I remember correctly. So no... the E17 drives them a lot louder than "marginally".

 

You're seriously missing out if you think loud is all you'll get out of the DT880.

 

Honestly. They can get a lot better than out of the E17.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread