Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 168

post #2506 of 8262
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzAlmoN View Post

Should I go for the Audioengine D1, Hifiman EF2A or the Schiit MangiModi as an amp for the DT880's 600Ohm? Btw what is the major difference between the 250Ohm and the 600Ohm?


600 sounds more linear and smoother

post #2507 of 8262
Anyone uses the O2 to drive the 600ohms
post #2508 of 8262
If you AB test the 250 vs 600 ohm premium you can not hear a difference. if the amp used for both is the same and adjusted to have the same volume.

If you want it to be more easy to power go 250ohm if not 600.
post #2509 of 8262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonarfd View Post

If you AB test the 250 vs 600 ohm premium you can not hear a difference. if the amp used for both is the same and adjusted to have the same volume.

If you want it to be more easy to power go 250ohm if not 600.

I currently own the 990 250 pro and the 990 600.  Have been A/B testing them with an E17.  Normalizing the volume is tricky, but to my ears, the highs on the 600 are not quite as harsh/peaky.  This may be all in my head; I have another week left on my return window to decide between the two.  But it sounds like there is a difference, albeit a slight one.  I would not pay an extra $100 for the Premium vs. Pro, but it my case the difference was only $30, and the case plus the straight cable made it worth checking out the 600.  I do like the looks and ergonomics on the 250 pro better.  Plus the metal on the premiums seems to add a bit to the microphonics.      

post #2510 of 8262
Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton View Post

I currently own the 990 250 pro and the 990 600.  Have been A/B testing them with an E17.  Normalizing the volume is tricky, but to my ears, the highs on the 600 are not quite as harsh/peaky.  This may be all in my head; I have another week left on my return window to decide between the two.  But it sounds like there is a difference, albeit a slight one.  I would not pay an extra $100 for the Premium vs. Pro, but it my case the difference was only $30, and the case plus the straight cable made it worth checking out the 600.  I do like the looks and ergonomics on the 250 pro better.  Plus the metal on the premiums seems to add a bit to the microphonics.      

Yep, http://www.head-fi.org/t/429371/the-beyerdynamic-dt880-600-ohm-appreciation-discussion-thread/2475#post_9084638

post #2511 of 8262
Sorry did belive you were talking about the dt880.

To many compare the 250 pro version with the 600 prem. Then yeh it is a little more change due to the clamp force etc.

Had two o2s playing from the same source volume leveled the same. And we were men plus 3 listening to over 20 tracks each(different genres) and my wife doing the changing. If i recall excact we ended up with a 48/52 ratio. So they are hard to hear any differences.

Also there is some differences in the drivers going around as some are more or less ohm than others not sure how this change the impression for different ppk testing.
Edited by Leonarfd - 1/23/13 at 8:45am
post #2512 of 8262

I was referring to the 990, I know this is the 880 thread.  Apologies-- just went through the A/B with different ohm models in the DT series, so I wanted to add my thoughts.  

post #2513 of 8262
Just got a pair of these again today after more than a year without 'em. I remember now why I liked them so much the first time. beyersmile.png They really are great all round cans.
post #2514 of 8262
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzAlmoN View Post

Should I go for the Audioengine D1, Hifiman EF2A or the Schiit MangiModi as an amp for the DT880's 600Ohm? Btw what is the major difference between the 250Ohm and the 600Ohm?

Hi, I own the Audioengine, and I think it provides enough juice for the 600ohm, but in your shoes I would go for the Schiit stack, since it will provide more power than the D1, it's better to have more than enough power than just about enough, I would probably have ordered the Schiit stack anyway but it was announced after I ordered my D1, I'm still very happy with it though. I do warn you, if you like to upgrade things fast then whatever you choose might not completely please you in the long run, and in that case if possible I would get the Modi and a nice tube ampbiggrin.gif. I've had this setup for a little more than a month and I'm already thinking about upgrading the amp rolleyes.gif

post #2515 of 8262

i really really  like the sound of dt880 600 ohm, the only thing i want more is a little more bass,

low bass and extension of the low bass.

I have not bought the dt880 600 ohm yet, i have tried it and i freaking love the sound.

I really want this headphone (its my first over the ear headphone)

 

If i would buy the fiio e17 with de dt880 600 ohm , would i be able to get more bass with the amp?

And if i cant get more bass with the e17 is there another amp/dac combined (in the same price range or under 300 euro) that

can boost a little more bass/low bass?
 

if not, whhich headphone comes as close as the sound of the dt880 with just a slightly more low bass.

I dont whant much more bass , just a tiny bit while maintaining the overal sound of the dt880 600 ohm.

post #2516 of 8262

If you heard the DT880/600 unamped and you really liked it, wait 'til you hear it with an amp. The bass is pretty damn good. I can try it with the E17 later. I would honestly recommend the E17 because you can boost the bass and it won't distort. It's a great little device.

post #2517 of 8262

Better to use a little EQ to get the bass you want, than to buy an amp to adjust the sound, IMO.

post #2518 of 8262

yes i heard it unamped, and i liked it from the first minute.

So if i buy the e17 it wont adjust the sound?

or should i buy a little eq?

 

I wanted to buy the e17 so i can hook it up on the ps3 and use it also for gaming and use it as a dac/amp on my pc

and also use the amp for my iphone 4.

 

i read in several threads that the e17 is a good device but for the 600 ohm dt880 it wont give you the

full experience? is this really true or wont i notice that much of a difference?

post #2519 of 8262
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundNation View Post

yes i heard it unamped, and i liked it from the first minute.

So if i buy the e17 it wont adjust the sound?

or should i buy a little eq?

 

I wanted to buy the e17 so i can hook it up on the ps3 and use it also for gaming and use it as a dac/amp on my pc

and also use the amp for my iphone 4.

 

i read in several threads that the e17 is a good device but for the 600 ohm dt880 it wont give you the

full experience? is this really true or wont i notice that much of a difference?


I Googled the E17 paired with the DT880/600Ohms and it only provides like either 16 or 17mW output to the headphones, and the Dt880/600's volume capacity is 100mW.

post #2520 of 8262

yes i know thats why i am asking if its a good combination, becoz i read different opninions

one says its a good combination

the other says its not so good

 

but i want a portable amp/dac. but not if its bad for the sound

if its really a bad combination i am willing to get  a more expensive dac and amp combined or not combined

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread