Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 126

post #1876 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by melomaniac View Post

unless you provide some information on your amp (if any), that statement is not verifiable. do a little search here and you'll see it contradicted

If he doesn't like the DT880, he's entitled to his opinion.
Personally I like the DT880s, but some guys hate, that's cool with me.
post #1877 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


If he doesn't like the DT880, he's entitled to his opinion.
Personally I like the DT880s, but some guys hate, that's cool with me.

 

sure, opinions are one thing - but assertions about objective properties are quite something else. if I say this word is an English one (or an Urdu one, or an ancient Greek one), you're not entitled to a different opinion, no matter how much you might dislike the word. and if someone were to assert that the square root of 4 is 3, I would find that (not even) debatable.

 

back to headphones: yes, some of us like this sound, while others prefer that sound. that's fine. but asserting here, without context (amp, source, SPL) or explanation, that a certain product has this or that attribute when there is no such evidence is not acceptable.

 

if head-fi were just a place reduced to pressing a "like" button without backup or context, we could just make a facebook page with a pixelated representation of the product and people could cow-click away mindlessly. if this, however, is a forum for the exchange of information and for discussion, then we should all be vigilant and avoid the spread of disinformation by discussing things. we can of course still have our likes and express them, but hopefully that's not all we're here for.

post #1878 of 8210
Hey i was wondering if my SR71b could power the DT880 600OHM adequately? Or should i get a more dedicated amp?
post #1879 of 8210

Another question,

if my graham NOVO has "only" 40mW to 600 ohms, and the beyer DT990 600 ohm 100mw 96dB,

mean that I knowingly exploit only 40% at this impedance.

Right? : (

post #1880 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post
If he doesn't like the DT880, he's entitled to his opinion.
Personally I like the DT880s, but some guys hate, that's cool with me.

 

Amp: Beyer A1.

And I don't dislike the DT-880 (I highlighted the flaws) but I say it lacks punch and energy. It's great for strings but as an allrounder it just feels too soft.

 

Whatever, no need to discuss with somebody who's overprotective (melomaniac). Have a nice day.

post #1881 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrazino View Post

Amp: Beyer A1.
And I don't dislike the DT-880 (I highlighted the flaws) but I say it lacks punch and energy. It's great for strings but as an allrounder it just feels too soft.

Whatever, no need to discuss with somebody who's overprotective (melomaniac). Have a nice day.

massive + 1

I do not need someone to lecture me
You do not need someone to dictate taste
Head Fi is filled with facts AND BS, does anyone think they can really filter all the BS out of Head Fi?
post #1882 of 8210
Still a worthy thing to try, no?
post #1883 of 8210

I still think a lot of it depends on what you are comparing with.  In it's price range, from the cans I've tried (and for my personal tastes) the DT880 remains one of the really good value buys - and I think this is why cans like the DT880 / HD600 etc retain their popularity after such a long time in the market.

 

FWIW - I personally find the punch and energy of the DT880 ideal for my own tastes - others will vary depending on their individual tastes, and and the other headphones they are comparing to.

post #1884 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

FWIW - I personally find the punch and energy of the DT880 ideal for my own tastes - others will vary depending on their individual tastes, and and the other headphones they are comparing to.

 

Agreed.  For me, they are just the right balance between the clarity and energy I enjoy from my 940s, and a smoother/fuller sound that I sometimes miss with the 940s.

post #1885 of 8210

edmundtyw1,

 

Hi.  I ran a DT880 600ohm/SR71B combo for a while as my primary desk top set-up.  I found the combo very nice, though slightly underpowered.  Not that it does not play musically and loud before the bass starts getting muddy - it will.  I listened quite a bit to this combo and was very satisfied.

 

The issue is what I refer to as "effortless"  and "power" - the DT880 600ohms won't be at their full potential without a bit more of an amp.  I now use a Rudistor RPX-33 and am amazed at what the DT880s can do - the sound is effortless, powerful and very natural.

 

I still use the SR-71B with the DT880s when I travel, but am pleased that I move to a bit more powerful amp for the desk top set-up.

 

Hope this helps.

 

 

post #1886 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post

Another question,
if my graham NOVO has "only" 40mW to 600 ohms, and the beyer DT990 600 ohm 100mw 96dB,
mean that I knowingly exploit only 40% at this impedance.
Right? : (

The Beyer spec on those 'phones is 96 dB @ 1 mW, so you should be able to get a fair amount of volume out of the Novo.
I'll bet that most folks listen at approx. 90-96 dB average level with their 'phones.
Any louder will lead to hearing damage redface.gif

Just my opinion, I've never tried that combo myself.
post #1887 of 8210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post

Head Fi is filled with facts AND BS, does anyone think they can really filter all the BS out of Head Fi?

 

Yes, science goes a long way tbh.

 

Currently using my DT880 / 600s  with the "un-nameable on here" DAC and headphone amp and HRTF configured Toneboosters Isone. 

post #1888 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

Yes, science goes a long way tbh.

Currently using my DT880 / 600s  with the "un-nameable on here" DAC and headphone amp and HRTF configured Toneboosters Isone. 

I assume you mean NWAVGuy's O2 and ODAC?
post #1889 of 8210
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

 

Yes, science goes a long way tbh.

 

Currently using my DT880 / 600s  with the "un-nameable on here" DAC and headphone amp and HRTF configured Toneboosters Isone. 

 

I'm part of that club :p (well I may not have exactly the same DAC/amp).

post #1890 of 8210
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris J View Post


I assume you mean NWAVGuy's O2 and ODAC?

 

Can't confirm or deny ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread