or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 85

post #1261 of 10423

 


 

Quote:
 

 

 

 

 

Hi guys,

 

I'm thinking of picking up a 880/600 soon, and as of now I don't have any amps/source components (other than my Macbook Pro).  My apologies if this has been covered already, but are there any amp/dac combos that can be found for $200 or less used that can actually drive these?  Or would I be better off getting a dedicated amp for that price and buying a dedicated DAC in around 6 months?  My other option is to go with the HD598, as they're supposed to be easier to drive.  What would you suggest, Head-Fi?

 

Thanks

 

Quote:
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

what's your current sound setup?



Macbook pro->$50 IEMs that I don't know the name of.  True quality, right?

 


Edited by FlyBPR - 5/23/11 at 5:16pm
post #1262 of 10423

Is this thread of modern 880/600? Im asking because I own vintage 880S/600 ohm Beyers and Im curious how does it compare to newest 880/600. Anyone had a chance to compare it?

Im also curious if anyone uses/used it with matrix m stage and other headamps and could make comparision which one is the best for it? Especially comparisions with some tube amps?

I still wonder if I can get even better sound from it:)

post #1263 of 10423

I need to ask a question too. I managed to stay away from head-fi for quite a few months but I slipped and ended up back here which is going to be bad for my bank account. Now my current set up is this:

 

x-fi titanium > little dot mk3 with mullards > beyers 880 600ohm.

 

Now I was wondering if it would be a good idea to get a Little dot dac 1 and just use the x fi for gaming, or wouldn't it be worth the money?

post #1264 of 10423

I own the 880 600ohm (manufaktur) and run it out of a Beyerdynamic A1 with a squeezebox touch as the source.

I don't get the critique of highs. They have very high detail and never sound harsh to me -unless the source material is bad.

 

The problem with high end gear is that it will make certain files or recordings sound bad because of poor production or poor quality lossy compression.

For instance a remastered "history" album by Michael jackson sounded terrible because of overemphasized highs (did quincey have hearing loss when i produced thriller?), and insane compression/loudness issues.

 

Other albums like Bjorks Post spunded great even though it had pretty agressive effects on high hats and synths.

Pink Floyd: High Hopes sounds great on these cans too, the slide guitar would be ear piercing if the highs were an issue on this headphone.

 

I am personally looking into a portable can and a bassmonster can for home use as the Dt880 is neither portable or has the low end slam that closed cans provide. It is a darned good open can though, and most people will have a hard time finding a can that sounds better to them. Novelty is nice and high end gear whoring is fun though.

post #1265 of 10423


As another DT880 600ohm owner, I agree 100% with this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a:xus View Post

I own the 880 600ohm (manufaktur) and run it out of a Beyerdynamic A1 with a squeezebox touch as the source.

I don't get the critique of highs. They have very high detail and never sound harsh to me -unless the source material is bad.

 

The problem with high end gear is that it will make certain files or recordings sound bad because of poor production or poor quality lossy compression.

For instance a remastered "history" album by Michael jackson sounded terrible because of overemphasized highs (did quincey have hearing loss when i produced thriller?), and insane compression/loudness issues.

 

Other albums like Bjorks Post spunded great even though it had pretty agressive effects on high hats and synths.

Pink Floyd: High Hopes sounds great on these cans too, the slide guitar would be ear piercing if the highs were an issue on this headphone.

 

I am personally looking into a portable can and a bassmonster can for home use as the Dt880 is neither portable or has the low end slam that closed cans provide. It is a darned good open can though, and most people will have a hard time finding a can that sounds better to them. Novelty is nice and high end gear whoring is fun though.



 

post #1266 of 10423

The Beyerdynamic A1 have an impedance output of 100ohms. That tames sharp highs significantly.  But I do not like the overall tonality with 100ohms. I prefer the sound signature with 0ohms output impedance. And thats what most headphone amps have.

post #1267 of 10423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXter View Post

The Beyerdynamic A1 have an impedance output of 100ohms. That tames sharp highs significantly.  But I do not like the overall tonality with 100ohms. I prefer the sound signature with 0ohms output impedance. And thats what most headphone amps have.


With 600ohm headphones, you won't need an output impedance of 100ohms from the amp.

post #1268 of 10423

I don't know what your are trying to say.

post #1269 of 10423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXter View Post

I don't know what your are trying to say.


Basically it's best with 600ohm headphones for you to use the A1 amp @ 0 ohm output impedance.

post #1270 of 10423

The A1 is fix at 100ohm at the headphone output.

post #1271 of 10423
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post




Basically it's best with 600ohm headphones for you to use the A1 amp @ 0 ohm output impedance.


Is it subjective or objective??

 

post #1272 of 10423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by monoethylene View Post

Is it subjective or objective??

 

 

Objective.
 

 

post #1273 of 10423
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoXter View Post

The A1 is fix at 100ohm at the headphone output.


Oh, I read ya intital post wrong. 

post #1274 of 10423
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post



 

Objective.
 

 

 

And why?
 

 

post #1275 of 10423

Yeahh, in theory this is absolutely right.. :)

 

Thank you..!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread