or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 78

post #1156 of 10426

I have to admit - I have been reticent to use them with my portable amp - the SR-71A. Does anyone know if Ray's portables have the beef to run these cans with ease? I know they easily handle the HD600 (300 ohms) - since Ray built them with the HD600 as a reference for testing them...

 

Maybe some users are using the 600 ohm version with other of Ray's Black-birds - the SR-71 or the SR-71B?

post #1157 of 10426

I just got my dt880/600s and udac2 this morning. the LD mk III is still on the way.

 

As this is my first experience with higher-end audio equipment, is it okay to run my dt880's strait off of the uDac2? I know it says it only powers up to 300ohms so it won't push them to their fullest but will it put too much stress on the uDac2?

 

Just curious :)

post #1158 of 10426
You will be fine. Enjoy them. ;-)
post #1159 of 10426


How about me then? I imagine the SR-71A to carry more power than the uDAC2 when it comes to driving 600 ohm headphones. Still since the DT-880 version I have are double the 300 ohms of the HD600 - the testing phone for the SR-71A - I was not thinking to try them...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatN View Post

You will be fine. Enjoy them. ;-)
 


 

post #1160 of 10426
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMold View Post

I just got my dt880/600s and udac2 this morning. the LD mk III is still on the way.

 

As this is my first experience with higher-end audio equipment, is it okay to run my dt880's strait off of the uDac2? I know it says it only powers up to 300ohms so it won't push them to their fullest but will it put too much stress on the uDac2?

 

Just curious :)

 

Driving 600ohm headphones does not require twice the power of 300ohm headphones. It really depends on the sensitivity of the headphones. With 250ohm vs 600ohm with a sensitivity of 96 dB/mW = 1.55 times more voltage required.
 

post #1161 of 10426

I've been eyeing a pair of the 600 ohm for quite some time now.

Amazon has them on sale again so finally bit the bullet.

They are backordered but it's worth the wait for the savings.

I searched this thread and didn't see much on it, but should I break them in by running pink noise or some other type of burn in sound, or will regular listening suffice?

post #1162 of 10426

Thanks for clearing that up

post #1163 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTANertive View Post

I've been eyeing a pair of the 600 ohm for quite some time now.

Amazon has them on sale again so finally bit the bullet.

They are backordered but it's worth the wait for the savings.

I searched this thread and didn't see much on it, but should I break them in by running pink noise or some other type of burn in sound, or will regular listening suffice?



 

I just plugged them in and started listening. It is entirely up to you but I would rather listen through the process and anyway it is unwise to just leave a brand new pair of phones plugged in to music for more than a few hours at a time....

post #1164 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan25 View Post


How about me then? I imagine the SR-71A to carry more power than the uDAC2 when it comes to driving 600 ohm headphones. Still since the DT-880 version I have are double the 300 ohms of the HD600 - the testing phone for the SR-71A - I was not thinking to try them...

 

Of course you can listen through it, but how far from optimal it is I don't know.

The PA2v2 is simply pathetic with the big Beyers and the K701, too, though not as bad as the DT880s. To really get the best out of them I recommend you get a desktop amp. They can provide the power the Beyers need.

post #1165 of 10426

The 600Ohm DT770, DT880, and DT990 need a lot of voltage swing to reach a desired volume and a lot of amps (besides tube amps) can not supply it properly. They are few solid state amps I know of that can supply it such as : ROC SA, B22, PHOENIX. My experience with amps is a bit limited as I have not sold any of mine off to get new ones.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by apatN View Post

Of course you can listen through it, but how far from optimal it is I don't know.

The PA2v2 is simply pathetic with the big Beyers and the K701, too, though not as bad as the DT880s. To really get the best out of them I recommend you get a desktop amp. They can provide the power the Beyers need.



 

post #1166 of 10426

That was what I was thinking..

post #1167 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan25 View Post





 

I just plugged them in and started listening. It is entirely up to you but I would rather listen through the process and anyway it is unwise to just leave a brand new pair of phones plugged in to music for more than a few hours at a time....



Ok.  Guess I'll just break them in slowly w/ music.  Thanks.

post #1168 of 10426

What is a good portable amp to use with a DT770 or DT880/600?

post #1169 of 10426

Mini³ in high gain config. That is at least what the solder geeks in the german forum recommended, mine gets put to HG next week...

post #1170 of 10426
Long shot but it'll save me a dollar or two... does anyone prefer their 600 Ohm DT880 over the T1?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread