or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread - Page 74

post #1096 of 10426

Cool avatar, Tordenskjold! biggrin.gif  Although I doubt that our overseas friends can see the context...

post #1097 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadcykler View Post

After quite a bit of searching and comparing return policies I had pretty much decided on ordering a pair from B&H because they were the same price as Amazon ($249.99) but Amazon was out of stock. So today I'm checking on Amazon to see if they've gotten any in and they have not plus the price is now $269 but B&H has gone up to $319! I guess I missed out on the lower prices. Rats.



Unlucky! I paid $249 from BH and almost ordered the 990s for $219 and now they're up at $319...

post #1098 of 10426

Yeah, this was terrible news to me that I discovered about 20 minutes ago.

 

I have been debating for months on end to determine which DAC/amp/headphone I want until I finally settle on the dt880s... I should have pulled the trigger sooner.

 

Anyone have any guesses or speculations if the prices will return to $249.. ever?

post #1099 of 10426

Prices in europe have been going up and down the last few months as well, it went from 230 to 310 as well a few days back.

It'll drop again in a month or 2 or so :\

post #1100 of 10426

Problem is also the exchange rate, the Euro might be weakened, but the Dollar is in agony.

post #1101 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchen View Post

Problem is also the exchange rate, the Euro might be weakened, but the Dollar is in agony.



this is correct.

i ordered mine in usa today. 300 dollars USA (260 dollars plus 40 dollars shipping) vs 290 Euro here in germany. still much cheaper.

make out the exchange rate of 1,38.

post #1102 of 10426


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashantus View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchen View Post

Problem is also the exchange rate, the Euro might be weakened, but the Dollar is in agony.



this is correct.

i ordered mine in usa today. 300 dollars USA (260 dollars plus 40 dollars shipping) vs 300 Euro here in germany. still much cheaper.


Atm in Europe (amazon.fr) it is 240,53€ with free shipping (330$). You'll have to pay import taxes on the american 880s, no?

post #1103 of 10426

amazon.fr or uk doesn' t deliver such items to germany.

amazon.de (270 as lowest here, any other shop starts at 290) failed delivery for over 2 weeks yet. they often give low prices putting yourself in a waiting list for weeks. so i canceled finally beeing annoyed by em again.

 

it does also bother such a lot, german products are always super high priced within germany itself, other examples are cars and medical drugs.

french/european tax rates would be same than the german ones for it btw. 

 

Edit: guess, some will be happy to know.

tax rate for Headphones from USA to Germany is 2% of value.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/measures.jsp?Lang=de&SimDate=20110205&Area=US&Taric=8518309590&LangDescr=de     (4 euro)

 


Edited by Ashantus - 2/4/11 at 4:00pm
post #1104 of 10426

Ashantus: Thomann has them for 239€ in the 250Ω-version. Strangely the 600Ω-Version really is hard to come by, 299€ is the best I can find. And there I was happy that the -pro was 50€ cheaper than the edition. mad.gif

 

Hm, I think the DT880-pro might not be what I'm looking for after all. To expensive, and even more so if I really would have to buy a dedicated headphone-amp. Might take a look at DT990-pros, easy to get and less expensive. Would I need some dedicated headphone-amp to get anywhere sq-wise with the 990-pros in 600Ω, what do you think? I'll check the thread for the DT990s (this beinghead-fi there has to be such athing somewhere).  

post #1105 of 10426

What about musicstore.com?

post #1106 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenskjold View Post

Ashantus: Thomann has them for 239€ in the 250Ω-version. Strangely the 600Ω-Version really is hard to come by, 299€ is the best I can find. And there I was happy that the -pro was 50€ cheaper than the edition. mad.gif

 

Hm, I think the DT880-pro might not be what I'm looking for after all. To expensive, and even more so if I really would have to buy a dedicated headphone-amp. Might take a look at DT990-pros, easy to get and less expensive. Would I need some dedicated headphone-amp to get anywhere sq-wise with the 990-pros in 600Ω, what do you think? I'll check the thread for the DT990s (this beinghead-fi there has to be such athing somewhere).  


Just a word of warning, the DT990 Pros are a LOT different than DT880. Dunno about the PRO version of DT880, but I bet they would still be quite different from each other. The DT990s mids are awful in comparison. Bass is not as good either and the highs...meh. I would get a good amp regardless of what headphone you buy really. No dedicated amp and using headphones is insane tongue.gif Some DAC/AMP Combos can pull it off, but I highly suggest a dedicated amplifier regardless.
post #1107 of 10426


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post

Just a word of warning, the DT990 Pros are a LOT different than DT880. Dunno about the PRO version of DT880, but I bet they would still be quite different from each other. The DT990s mids are awful in comparison. Bass is not as good either and the highs...meh. I would get a good amp regardless of what headphone you buy really. No dedicated amp and using headphones is insane tongue.gif Some DAC/AMP Combos can pull it off, but I highly suggest a dedicated amplifier regardless.

 

 

I read up around  the forum for quite a while now, and seemingly the only thing people aggree on is that the DT990-pro is a unique headphone that differs from the DT990-edition just as much as from the DT880. Just how it does so seems to be a matter of personal opinion though. As fort he "buy a dedicated amp"-thing: The DT880 goes here for 289€, the cheapest amp worth mentioning I found is the V-can, 165€ there. 454€ - for that tidy sum the smallest (new) Stax-electrostat is in range, and then adding the need for a better amp, as that one I bet won't suffice in the eyes of the "audiophile" community...the moment I grow a money-tree I'll gladly stop "being insane".

 

Edit: I might actually go for one of the old Electret-models biggrin.gif

post #1108 of 10426
I have personally heard DT990 PRO (think they were 250ohm) and DT990 (32ohm). From memory, they did sound a bit different, but I still hated both for their overwhelming bass, sucked out mids and harsh highs on the 32ohm. Haha indeed this hobby does get expensive. I have a pair of HF-2 and MAD Ear+ HD that I don't even use. But I want to keep them both because I have a turntable rig I can use them for when I listen to my records. I advise you to thoroughly receardh your purchases before spending your cash biggrin.gif Or else you may end up like me owning a few items you want to keep, but don't use. Make no doubt about it, however, I spend about 20 hours researching something before I actually decide on buying it. The DT880 600ohm are wonderful headphones. However, at that price, I wouldn't really recommend buying them. This coming from someone who loves their DT880 and listens to them for 8 hours a day on average. There is just so much variety out there I would hate for you to come back and say you wanted something different only days after purchasing them. Put it this way, you should figure out what is most important to you. Soundstage, detail, quantity/ quality of low frequencies, mid frequencies and high frequencies.
post #1109 of 10426

I have searched some prices and what do you know, stax is not that much out of the range, provided they perform accordingly to their pricetag that would be worth it. 

 

My Problem is that I begin toloathe the veiled, dull heights on my HD25 and as my musical variety has shifted since I boughtthem am looking for getting that fixed without spending a fortune. Hm, what is important to me... I hae heard several cans described by others as being  "warm" - and hated them instantly. I also tried the K701 of a close relative for quite a while (and yes, it was driven from a fitting amp, the man has a rhinelander) and disliked it for being flat at the lower end. No punch, no forward precision. The soundstage is not that important, A bit less "in the head" compared to the HD25 would be a nice bonus. I searched and looked and read - and still have absolutely no Idea. I knew of the HD25's dissatisfying heights when buying it- but as I listened to metal and electronica mostly then that was in myopinion alright and the fabulous punch and energy seemed to compensate. Nowadays I find  myself enjoying classics and jarr to a much greater degree then when I bought it andam thus looking into... well, imagine a crossbreed between the HD25 and the K701, there you have it. As for grado: They seem to me as a somewhat exclusive non-EU-thing. Ridiculously overpriced here, an SR-60 goes for 139€ in germany. AlsoI was looking into something that was more capable for extended listening (and compatible with myhated glasses), so again:grado's out. Beyers seemed the choice of the moment, but still... I've no idea.   

 

Too bad that my wallet refuses to grow accordingly. 

post #1110 of 10426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tordenskjold View Post

I have searched some prices and what do you know, stax is not that much out of the range, provided they perform accordingly to their pricetag that would be worth it. 

 

My Problem is that I begin toloathe the veiled, dull heights on my HD25 and as my musical variety has shifted since I boughtthem am looking for getting that fixed without spending a fortune. Hm, what is important to me... I hae heard several cans described by others as being  "warm" - and hated them instantly. I also tried the K701 of a close relative for quite a while (and yes, it was driven from a fitting amp, the man has a rhinelander) and disliked it for being flat at the lower end. No punch, no forward precision. The soundstage is not that important, A bit less "in the head" compared to the HD25 would be a nice bonus. I searched and looked and read - and still have absolutely no Idea. I knew of the HD25's dissatisfying heights when buying it- but as I listened to metal and electronica mostly then that was in myopinion alright and the fabulous punch and energy seemed to compensate. Nowadays I find  myself enjoying classics and jarr to a much greater degree then when I bought it andam thus looking into... well, imagine a crossbreed between the HD25 and the K701, there you have it. As for grado: They seem to me as a somewhat exclusive non-EU-thing. Ridiculously overpriced here, an SR-60 goes for 139€ in germany. AlsoI was looking into something that was more capable for extended listening (and compatible with myhated glasses), so again:grado's out. Beyers seemed the choice of the moment, but still... I've no idea.   

 

Too bad that my wallet refuses to grow accordingly. 


I'm not entirely convinced you will love the DT880, as the strengths of both the hD25 and the K701 lie in their mids and tone. The DT880 has detail and soundstage, like the K701, and does have more bass, but the mids are relatively neutral and "boring".

 

Have you heard the HD600? I recently listened to them at a meet and really liked them. They're right about the same price used so they're worth looking into.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Beyerdynamic DT880 Discussion thread