The 880s are amazing with metal, and if you EQ try to use a parametric EQ as you can control how much the requency you atenuate bleeds into adjacent frequencies.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productASUS Xonar Essence STXtagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- brandBeyerdynamictagged by System, 6/14/10
- productBeyer Dynamic DT 880 Premium 600 OHM Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 8/19/13
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro 250 OHM Semi-open reference headphonetagged by System, 7/20/10
- productbeyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphonestagged by System, 2/15/11
- productDenon AH-D5000 Reference Headphonestagged by System, 8/2/11
- productDenon AH-D7000 - Headphonestagged by System, 2/15/11
- brandMoon Audiotagged by System, 7/16/10
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by System, 9/26/11
Related Forum Threads
- Going Audiophile For Gaming! Last post on 7/4/13 at 4:37pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- FS/FT PRICE DROP Excellent condition Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (600 ohm) Last post on 7/16/13 at 7:19am in Headphones for Sale / Trade
- AD700 vs DT770 (any ohms) vs DT880 (any ohms,non-premium) vs DT990 (any ohms, non-premium)... Last post on 9/11/12 at 7:13am in Headphones (full-size)
- IEM guy needs recommendations for full size phones... Last post on 7/21/12 at 8:05am in Headphones (full-size)
- WTS: HD650 w/ SilverDragon V3, Beyer DT990, AKG K701 - NEW PRICES 11/1311 Last post on 11/20/11 at 6:34pm in Headphones for Sale / Trade
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones...
Last edited: 8/2/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/20/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)Last edited: 7/29/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Summit-Fi)Last edited: 12/10/13
Considering the poor review level here I felt I had to post a review: I spent some time checking reviews of these AKG K451 headphones, and found conflicting comments. What I can do is confirm...
Summary: These headphones give an accurate picture of what the producers had in mind when they mixed their music because they have a well-balanced, present, but not over-powering bass. Songs...
My current set. My favorite and my private oasis. These beauties will cut out most if not all ambient noise like while driving in a car and household noise when the music is flowing. I became a fan...
I was asked to listen to the Musical Fidelity MF100 and received them about 4 weeks ago. I get quite a lot of headphones through my door, I only review the ones I like and I like these a lot. I...
Got the SE846 last week and did some hours of comparison with my current SE535. My bias was towards keeping them - I like flagship products as a "there is nothing better" products, i.e. do not...
The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread - Page 310post #4636 of 67719/25/13 at 3:34pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4637 of 67719/25/13 at 5:51pmI am not really a "Cookie Monster" vocals metal listener... I do enjoy a little Amon Amarth from time to time though.
But! Metallica's Black Album in 24/96 sounds amazing through the DT880's.
After listening to Disturbed Asylum album the other day, I am enjoying what I hear from them as well.post #4638 of 67719/25/13 at 5:55pm
Asked this elsewhere but I thought I would repeat it here (as this is a living thread)... has anyone attempted to run the 880/250 through a Little Dot I+? I'm looking to expand the stable with a can with a flatter FR and the 880 seems to fit the bill, but my headphone amp is a hybrid tube that generally works better with low-impedance cans. I know there is a gain switch on the LD, but I seem to recall reading that noise increased when the high gain setting was applied... any help would be appreciated.post #4639 of 67719/25/13 at 6:24pmQuote:Originally Posted by Edgard Varese
Asked this elsewhere but I thought I would repeat it here (as this is a living thread)... has anyone attempted to run the 880/250 through a Little Dot I+? I'm looking to expand the stable with a can with a flatter FR and the 880 seems to fit the bill, but my headphone amp is a hybrid tube that generally works better with low-impedance cans. I know there is a gain switch on the LD, but I seem to recall reading that noise increased when the high gain setting was applied... any help would be appreciated.
This is a quote from the LD forum...Quote:LD 1+ Forum
I have used the LD 1+ with upgraded WE408A tubes as I received from LD with the Beyer 880 600 ohm phones. It does a really good clean job, but begins to run out of power on really heavy classical music. On normal music, like jazz or light rock, it is a real good combo. I normally had the volume control at about the 2 o'clock position. But, on some heavy classical, I had to open the volume all the way to the 5 o'clock position.
I purchased it mainly to drive the HiFiman HE-300 Dynamic Phones... and it does a magnificent job with those phones. I also have the Schiit Lyr Hybrid Tube Amp, and with the HE-300, the LD 1+ with upgraded tubes does a little better job than the Lyr. A little sweeter in the mids. Very nice!
He has the 600Ω version and since the specs state that it outputs 150mW into 300Ω it might just work alright depending on your listening levels.post #4640 of 67719/25/13 at 7:04pmQuote:
Thanks TD! :) On the basis of that I think the 250 would work fine, but I'm not too sure about the 600...post #4641 of 67719/25/13 at 7:26pmpost #4642 of 67719/25/13 at 8:15pmpost #4643 of 67719/25/13 at 8:17pmpost #4644 of 67719/25/13 at 8:24pmQuote:
The drivers are well protected behind foam discs that bow out in the middle. These tend to touch one's ears (they do mine), but most people don't seem to find it unpleasant. It's never bothered me in almost three years of ownership.post #4645 of 67719/25/13 at 9:55pmQuote:
It doesn't bother me either... but sometimes it can tickle.post #4646 of 67719/25/13 at 9:57pmpost #4647 of 67719/25/13 at 11:33pmpost #4648 of 67719/26/13 at 1:53ampost #4649 of 67719/26/13 at 3:02am
Speaking of which, how long have everybody's pads lasted here? Mine are the originals and I will have had my DT880 for three years in the beginning of October. They're definitely a bit worn down, but they seem to be otherwise perfectly fine. I wash them annually in a bath of warm soapy water, which doesn't ever seem to have damaged them.post #4650 of 67719/26/13 at 4:48amQuote:Originally Posted by Argyris
Speaking of which, how long have everybody's pads lasted here? Mine are the originals and I will have had my DT880 for three years in the beginning of October. They're definitely a bit worn down, but they seem to be otherwise perfectly fine. I wash them annually in a bath of warm soapy water, which doesn't ever seem to have damaged them.
I need to wash them
although I am a little mad... I'm ALREADY having issues with my 3.5 6.5mm connector :/ it's losing audio... glad I have 2 more >.> [silly mono price] that said I just need to break down and recable the w1000x to just use the pb1's Blanced out, as I lose audio out of the pb1+adapter plus the Hm801+adapter so it's cleary the adapter [which is why I hate 3.5mm... I seem to destroy them at teh speed of light]
- The Beyerdynamic DT880 Appreciation / Discussion thread
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Lets Talk Metal 24 seconds ago
- › Linux users unite! 44 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser HD25 Aluminium 25th anniversary edition review 47 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 1 minute ago
- › Unofficial V-MODA XL Pads thread. 2 minutes ago
- › if i'm using the modi/magni, would DT770 250ohm sound better than... 2 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 2 minutes ago
- › Nakamichi TA-2A : Any one else have experience with this? 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd DI-DSP (Digital Interface) with Power Supply and TCXO upgrade 2 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K451 High-Performance Foldable Mini Headset (Black) by subwoofer
- › Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Professional Headphone by aeromaniac
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by echo1284
- › Musical Fidelity MF-100 High Quality On-Ear Headphones by astroid
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by agistrilink
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude