- 3,137 Posts. Joined 2/2008
- Location: Florida
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- HeadRoom Total AirHead On Sale! Last post on 7/6/12 at 8:55am in Portable Headphone Amps
- HeadRoom Triple Stack Package Last post on 6/11/12 at 3:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is There an Up-To-Date Balanced Amp List? Last post on 11/14/11 at 1:15am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headroom total airhead Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- 1/4 to 1/2 problem Last post on 4/26/11 at 4:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
The urbanite xl wireless is seemingly targeting the younger audience with its stylish looks,bluetooth connectivity and a bass emphasis.But does this deliver like it is intended to?Let's run through...
I was looking for a solution to simultaneously listen and charge an iPhone7, since Apple decided to ditch the 3.5 mm jack output. This one, which I got on Aliexpress, does the job. Soundwise, it...
Final F7200 Earphone review I will start this review of the Final F7200 earphones by saying that I am not going to include photos or technical specifications, as these have been very well covered...
MBC/ PINOYMAN's review: The TFZ series 1 Iem. Id like to thank Christopher Gatchalian for lending me his pair unit for the purpose of this review. Shell: clear in smoke black. Cable: quality is...
This is a review of the Cambridge DacMagic Plus DAC/headphone amp/pre amp. The Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus was sent to me by Cambridge Audio in the UK as a loaner for the purpose of doing this...
- Headphone Impedance
The Headroom Max
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
In both cases, I'd have to say that they are good amps, well worth considering. I liked my Max a lot, and always regretted selling it once it was gone. I'm not sure how well the older versions would hold up compared to what's available today, though the older versions with the newest electronics modules were VERY good.
I have a Headroom Balanced Max with DAC and the famous Alps Attenuator. I must admit that I still love the unit very much. It sounds really great. I recently picked up a pair of Koss Quadraphonic Pro 5Q headphones and am enjoying the sounds on it. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 650, 600 and 580s. They sound great as well. I was a little disappointed with Headroom for discontinuing the Max- but I guess at almost $6000 per unit, it wasn't a big seller. I believe that the good news about this unit was that it had a 5 year warrantee and that it was transferable. The Alps Attenuator is a good feature as well; so that you won't have to be stuck at a volume click that isn't quite right for your desired listening preferences. One thing is for sure, the Max has plenty of volume power. If you are wise and want to keep your hearing, you should refrain from going anywhere past the halfway mark on the volume knob. Also nice are the four headphone inputs on the front of the unit. Scottsmrnyc
I had the 2005 Max. I thought it added a very slight warmish tone to the music. It didn't do anything overly special.
I remember the original owner bought is discounted for around $1,400. I ended up buying it off him for $1,100. I used it for a year and sold it $600.
When I told my family I paid $1,100 for it, they called me an idiot.
Usually when something is discontinued it's because it wasn't selling well, too expensive to make, or couldn't find certain parts.
And $4,000 now can get you a lot of high-quality gear compared to five years ago.
My two cents.
I still have mine (from 1999 & upgraded in '04). It was nice with AKG701s and Grado GS1000s--kind of warmed things up and was definitely musical,
but it can't compete with my Rudistor RP010B in just about any aspect.
I've mine almost 3 years now and i'm still enyoing it very much, especially with the HD800.
The only thing is that i must clean the stepped attenuator once a year or so with Deoxit, to solve the crackling noise it makes when turning the volume knob. But I don't mind it that much, because overall the MAX is an outstanding amp.
I'm just going to bump this old thread and show my appreciation to the full-size balanced headroom amps. I just recently acquired a Headroom Balanced Home with the Max module and I am quite impressed by it. This amp is as good sounding as the Headamp GS-X MKII that I used to have for considerably less amount of money if you can still locate one. It is definitely sound better than the RSA Apache and their Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp unit. The only other solidstate that I like just as much is the Super Symmetry Dynahi and ECP Audio DSHA-0/1. This is based on the HD800 by the way. I personally think if the HD800 were to be released back in 2006, the Balanced Max & Balanced Home with max module will sell well. Sadly I don't think the HD650/HD600 was transparent enough to let these amps really shine.
I agree with you. The Max is a great sounding amp. I've only upgraded to a PS Audio NuWave DAC. Together with the Max and an HD800 they sound wonderful. So much detail and musicality and ease.
It's funny, with the NuWave DAC i'm not using the crossfeed and brightness filters anymore. Now it's sounding better without them, aspecially with the HD800.
- The Headroom Max
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › USB Audio Recorder PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous... 26 seconds ago
- › The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016) 41 seconds ago
- › Any headfi-ers in Connecticut? 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue D 1 minute ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 2 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Mason- new 12 driver flagship 2 minutes ago
- › Westone W80 2 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless by Rafique Adzam
- › Mcdodo Lightning to Audio Cable (for iPhone 7) w/ charging function by Webkarma
- › Final F7200 by malcolm.mcintyre
- › TFZ Series 1 by pinoyman
- › Cambridge Audio Azur DacMagic Plus by peter123
- › HiFiMAN RE-00 by mark2410
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Kerry56
- › NAD Electronics VISO HP50 Noise-Isolating Over-Ear Headphones by Kerry56
- › Philips Shp8000/10 Hi-Fi Headphones - Black by Redcarmoose
- › Sony MDRXB400/BLU Extra Bass Over The Head 30 mm Driver Headphone,... by InternPrimas
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...