- 3,137 Posts. Joined 2/2008
- Location: Florida
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- HeadRoom Total AirHead On Sale! Last post on 7/6/12 at 8:55am in Portable Headphone Amps
- HeadRoom Triple Stack Package Last post on 6/11/12 at 3:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is There an Up-To-Date Balanced Amp List? Last post on 11/14/11 at 1:15am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headroom total airhead Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- 1/4 to 1/2 problem Last post on 4/26/11 at 4:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
From the moment Charles told me about the new project that he was working on, “Project Palaios”, I was intrigued. A wooden amp? That’s certainly not what you hear everyday and from the pictures...
Packaging and build: The packaging is minimal and exquisitely so. The extra tips filters and manual are behind the felt coated foam holding the earphones. As I gingerly dislodged them from the...
- Headphone Impedance
The Headroom Max
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
In both cases, I'd have to say that they are good amps, well worth considering. I liked my Max a lot, and always regretted selling it once it was gone. I'm not sure how well the older versions would hold up compared to what's available today, though the older versions with the newest electronics modules were VERY good.
I have a Headroom Balanced Max with DAC and the famous Alps Attenuator. I must admit that I still love the unit very much. It sounds really great. I recently picked up a pair of Koss Quadraphonic Pro 5Q headphones and am enjoying the sounds on it. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 650, 600 and 580s. They sound great as well. I was a little disappointed with Headroom for discontinuing the Max- but I guess at almost $6000 per unit, it wasn't a big seller. I believe that the good news about this unit was that it had a 5 year warrantee and that it was transferable. The Alps Attenuator is a good feature as well; so that you won't have to be stuck at a volume click that isn't quite right for your desired listening preferences. One thing is for sure, the Max has plenty of volume power. If you are wise and want to keep your hearing, you should refrain from going anywhere past the halfway mark on the volume knob. Also nice are the four headphone inputs on the front of the unit. Scottsmrnyc
I had the 2005 Max. I thought it added a very slight warmish tone to the music. It didn't do anything overly special.
I remember the original owner bought is discounted for around $1,400. I ended up buying it off him for $1,100. I used it for a year and sold it $600.
When I told my family I paid $1,100 for it, they called me an idiot.
Usually when something is discontinued it's because it wasn't selling well, too expensive to make, or couldn't find certain parts.
And $4,000 now can get you a lot of high-quality gear compared to five years ago.
My two cents.
I still have mine (from 1999 & upgraded in '04). It was nice with AKG701s and Grado GS1000s--kind of warmed things up and was definitely musical,
but it can't compete with my Rudistor RP010B in just about any aspect.
I've mine almost 3 years now and i'm still enyoing it very much, especially with the HD800.
The only thing is that i must clean the stepped attenuator once a year or so with Deoxit, to solve the crackling noise it makes when turning the volume knob. But I don't mind it that much, because overall the MAX is an outstanding amp.
- The Headroom Max
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Shure SE846 Appreciation Thread 37 seconds ago
- › New AKG flagship K812 first impression 1 minute ago
- › **Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread** 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Amps that can drive the HiFiMan HE-6 planar headphones 2 minutes ago
- › HE-500, LCD2, D5000, DT770, SR80, on a speaker amp (Emotiva mini-X... 3 minutes ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 3 minutes ago
- › W/Rap Sucks 2.0..............................Rap/HipHop... 4 minutes ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 5 minutes ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 5 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › AMB Laboratories γ2 (Gamma2) by JustinBieber
- › AKG K701 Studio Headphones by kmaenpaa
- › JVC HAS160B FLATS Lightweight Headband Headphones (Black) by Lokip000
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe