- 3,137 Posts. Joined 2/2008
- Location: Florida
- Select All Posts By This User
Related Forum Threads
- HeadRoom Total AirHead On Sale! Last post on 7/6/12 at 8:55am in Portable Headphone Amps
- HeadRoom Triple Stack Package Last post on 6/11/12 at 3:12pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is There an Up-To-Date Balanced Amp List? Last post on 11/14/11 at 1:15am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headroom total airhead Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:47pm in Portable Headphone Amps
- 1/4 to 1/2 problem Last post on 4/26/11 at 4:10pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Wireless headphones…bluetooth even…last time I tried anything wireless was my cordless phone and before that was probably back in the “70’s” with an "all in one headphone with FM/AM radio", anyway...
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
- Headphone Impedance
The Headroom Max
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
In both cases, I'd have to say that they are good amps, well worth considering. I liked my Max a lot, and always regretted selling it once it was gone. I'm not sure how well the older versions would hold up compared to what's available today, though the older versions with the newest electronics modules were VERY good.
I have a Headroom Balanced Max with DAC and the famous Alps Attenuator. I must admit that I still love the unit very much. It sounds really great. I recently picked up a pair of Koss Quadraphonic Pro 5Q headphones and am enjoying the sounds on it. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD 650, 600 and 580s. They sound great as well. I was a little disappointed with Headroom for discontinuing the Max- but I guess at almost $6000 per unit, it wasn't a big seller. I believe that the good news about this unit was that it had a 5 year warrantee and that it was transferable. The Alps Attenuator is a good feature as well; so that you won't have to be stuck at a volume click that isn't quite right for your desired listening preferences. One thing is for sure, the Max has plenty of volume power. If you are wise and want to keep your hearing, you should refrain from going anywhere past the halfway mark on the volume knob. Also nice are the four headphone inputs on the front of the unit. Scottsmrnyc
I had the 2005 Max. I thought it added a very slight warmish tone to the music. It didn't do anything overly special.
I remember the original owner bought is discounted for around $1,400. I ended up buying it off him for $1,100. I used it for a year and sold it $600.
When I told my family I paid $1,100 for it, they called me an idiot.
Usually when something is discontinued it's because it wasn't selling well, too expensive to make, or couldn't find certain parts.
And $4,000 now can get you a lot of high-quality gear compared to five years ago.
My two cents.
I still have mine (from 1999 & upgraded in '04). It was nice with AKG701s and Grado GS1000s--kind of warmed things up and was definitely musical,
but it can't compete with my Rudistor RP010B in just about any aspect.
I've mine almost 3 years now and i'm still enyoing it very much, especially with the HD800.
The only thing is that i must clean the stepped attenuator once a year or so with Deoxit, to solve the crackling noise it makes when turning the volume knob. But I don't mind it that much, because overall the MAX is an outstanding amp.
I'm just going to bump this old thread and show my appreciation to the full-size balanced headroom amps. I just recently acquired a Headroom Balanced Home with the Max module and I am quite impressed by it. This amp is as good sounding as the Headamp GS-X MKII that I used to have for considerably less amount of money if you can still locate one. It is definitely sound better than the RSA Apache and their Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp unit. The only other solidstate that I like just as much is the Super Symmetry Dynahi and ECP Audio DSHA-0/1. This is based on the HD800 by the way. I personally think if the HD800 were to be released back in 2006, the Balanced Max & Balanced Home with max module will sell well. Sadly I don't think the HD650/HD600 was transparent enough to let these amps really shine.
I agree with you. The Max is a great sounding amp. I've only upgraded to a PS Audio NuWave DAC. Together with the Max and an HD800 they sound wonderful. So much detail and musicality and ease.
It's funny, with the NuWave DAC i'm not using the crossfeed and brightness filters anymore. Now it's sounding better without them, aspecially with the HD800.
- The Headroom Max
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 3 seconds ago
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 19 seconds ago
- › 6SN7 Tube Addicts 21 seconds ago
- › MEE Audio M6 Pro vs. SoundMAGIC E10 2 minutes ago
- › Need new iems 2 minutes ago
- › E-MU Wooden Series Headphones 2 minutes ago
- › Need advice on building a measurement system 3 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 4 minutes ago
- › this sound like bad cable or am i doing something wrong? 4 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Rob80b
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...