New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Palm-Pre-Fi - Page 2

post #16 of 42
I'm hoping that the Pre or a similar WebOS device hits a carrier other than Sprint sometime soon. Sprint has absolutely abysmal service in Iowa, believe me, we once made the mistake of using their phones. Their service area is literally about a decade and a half behind everyone else.
post #17 of 42
From what I remember when I traveled through, Iowa itself seemed about a decade and a half behind everyone else.

So the service is just par for the course :P
post #18 of 42
my dad has one now which replaced his world edition blackberry as his work phone his only complaint so far was the battery life could be a bit better and yes he is canceling open cards and being aware of the effect of running multiple cards at once but the touchstone charging is definitely a neat feature which will eventually become mainstream. Soon enough we will have night tables where the whole top is just a pad and you can throw all your electronics onto it and they will charge up while sitting there .
post #19 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyb213 View Post
my dad has one now which replaced his world edition blackberry as his work phone his only complaint so far was the battery life could be a bit better and yes he is canceling open cards and being aware of the effect of running multiple cards at once but the touchstone charging is definitely a neat feature which will eventually become mainstream. Soon enough we will have night tables where the whole top is just a pad and you can throw all your electronics onto it and they will charge up while sitting there .
Wouldn't that be like living next to a power line? Tumors in 1-2 years guaranteed
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
From what I remember when I traveled through, Iowa itself seemed about a decade and a half behind everyone else.

So the service is just par for the course :P
That's what we get for inventing the computer I guess. I'll just stick with my 20Mbps fiber internet, Sprint can keep their overpriced and nonworking tethering plans.
post #21 of 42
Sprint is playing games with not letting people with SERO plans buy or even activate a Pre.

Perhaps after the exclusivity period they'll relax those restrictions.
Otherwise, no way in hell I'm going to give up my SERO plan for any phone, let alone the Palm Pre.

-Ed
post #22 of 42
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
Sprint is playing games with not letting people with SERO plans buy or even activate a Pre.

Perhaps after the exclusivity period they'll relax those restrictions.
Otherwise, no way in hell I'm going to give up my SERO plan for any phone, let alone the Palm Pre.

-Ed
Hehe, OK I can understand not wanting to give up SERO. But I think there's an important point to make here - what other carrier offers such a cheap plan at all? They at least deserve credit for making it happen in the first place.

A new Pre plan is not bad. I'm on a 3-way family plan. 1500 minutes at $150, so that's $50 a person. Unlimited data, unlimited text, includes Sprint TeleNav GPS (which is surprisingly usable - it's actually pretty good).
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCC View Post
I'm hoping that the Pre or a similar WebOS device hits a carrier other than Sprint sometime soon. Sprint has absolutely abysmal service in Iowa, believe me, we once made the mistake of using their phones. Their service area is literally about a decade and a half behind everyone else.
AT&T is rumored to be getting a WebOS phone, but probably not all too soon. http://gizmodo.com/5234483/palm-eos-...-and-att+bound
post #24 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaq View Post
Hehe, OK I can understand not wanting to give up SERO. But I think there's an important point to make here - what other carrier offers such a cheap plan at all? They at least deserve credit for making it happen in the first place.

A new Pre plan is not bad. I'm on a 3-way family plan. 1500 minutes at $150, so that's $50 a person. Unlimited data, unlimited text, includes Sprint TeleNav GPS (which is surprisingly usable - it's actually pretty good).
I give all credit to Palm, for the Pre. not Sprint. Sprint had little to nothing to do with the development of the Pre and the WebOS. Other than compatibility with their network and paying for an exclusivity contract. The Pre doesn't even support Sprint's PictureMail service. And I don't remember seeing Sprint TV on there either (not that I use that a lot).
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirosia View Post
AT&T is rumored to be getting a WebOS phone, but probably not all too soon. Gizmodo - Palm Eos: Palm's Tiny $99 WebOS Phone Is Super Skinny and AT&T-Bound - palm eos
Interesting. I don't see WiFi on the specs though, so it's totally useless to me.
post #26 of 42
I am on a waiting list for the Palm Pre and should be getting my call any day now. Personally, I would prefer an iphone (I am an Apple fangirl after all) but I have been with Sprint for about 9 years and don't feel like changing cell phone companies. The Pre looks like a worthwhile upgrade to the Centro though (which is what I have right now). The screen on the Centro is just too small and it doesn't have GPS. Plus, the web browser on the Centro is BAD; I am hoping it will be better with the Pre.
post #27 of 42
Just got my Palm Pre and it is super sweet!!!

It is 10 times better than my Centro and seems just as nice as the iphones I have tried.

Hopefully we'll see some good apps come out soon.
post #28 of 42
Any word on improving the music player?

Can you post how it sounds vs some of you other DAP's Shelly?
post #29 of 42
I plugged my ES3X's into the Pre at the Sprint store. Didn't have any music loaded in it (nice move, Palm, not even one demo track?) best I could do is listen to stuff on YouTube. I could definitely hear noticeable hissing noise, but interesting thing is that the headphone output is turned off when there is no sound sent to it. So, it's dead silent until you lauch an App that outputs sound. Overall the headphone output is not all that great. I haven't tried listening to the new iPhone 3GS's headphone output yet. Not that I'm remotely interested in getting anything from Apple, but I'm just curious if they've improved the sound output.

-Ed
post #30 of 42
Sure. I am currently putting a small amount of music on the Pre. It was simple to do. You use a USB cable to plug into your computer. A menu pops up on the Pre asking if you want to do

Media Sync
USB Drive
Just Charge

Choosing, USB drive allows you to use the Pre as a hard drive (well flash drive I guess).

I chose Media Sync and opened itunes. It recognizes the Pre and thinks it is an ipod. Then it is just drag and drop (or auto sync if you happen to have a very small library and you want everything on the Pre - I doubt there are many that fit into this category here).

I haven't listened to it yet but will do so later tonight after I finishing writing a talk for tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojamijams View Post
Any word on improving the music player?

Can you post how it sounds vs some of you other DAP's Shelly?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home