Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS - Page 32

post #466 of 911

after a long time i am satisfied with my current rig 

 

 

 

CLAS -db -> Cypher Labs 4 pin mini to mini -> Cypher Labs Duet  -> Whiplash TWag 2  ->  Hifiman HE-500

post #467 of 911

^. Nice. Jagan, that HE-500 looks familiar :wink_face:

post #468 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

Vaibhav:

 

looking forward to your impressions on the AKG when you get a chance....The Pan Am is a tube amp right ?


sure.

 

pan am is tube hybrid dac-amp thats powered by wall wart. it also comes with passport battery so it becomes transportable desktop powered amp.

 

so quiet a unique porposition.

post #469 of 911

Hi,

 

I have made a midrange-tweeter ESL panel. I should have posted this back on the 17th of May when it played for all of 2 mins before snapping and leaking charge. Best part was the bass that I didn't expect at all(rather was certain of a steep roll off from 1KHz). There was no texture to the bass though.

 

Here are some pictures.

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

 

 

Cheers,

Azaan

post #470 of 911

I recently posted a review on AKG k550.

 

anyone interested in akg house sound or reasonably priced good headphone may check it out:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k-550/reviews/11128

post #471 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post
 

I recently posted a review on AKG k550.

 

anyone interested in akg house sound or reasonably priced good headphone may check it out:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k-550/reviews/11128

 

 

The review contradicts itself. I don't remember AKG 'house sound'  having deep bass. If its technically strong then it will make low bitrate sound like sh*t.

 

I think you should read a bit more into Clieos guide of categorizing sound before writing up reviews.

post #472 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

 

 

The review contradicts itself. I don't remember AKG 'house sound'  having deep bass. If its technically strong then it will make low bitrate sound like sh*t.

 

I think you should read a bit more into Clieos guide of categorizing sound before writing up reviews.


thanks for feedback.

 

maybe you should listen to k550 yourself.

 

besides do you realise there is difference between deep bass and bloated bass?

 

all recent akg efforts (k550, k712 and maybe even k812 have awesome deep bass. that does not make it thick and bloated.)

 

when you hear drum beat, you hear drum membrane vibrating till its frequency gets lower and lower progressively. At very low frequencies they produce deep bass.

 

it has nothing to do with being strong, slam wise or thickness wise.

post #473 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post
 

I recently posted a review on AKG k550.

 

anyone interested in akg house sound or reasonably priced good headphone may check it out:

 

http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k-550/reviews/11128

What genre music did you use to test the HP? Or, is it a mix of everything? Thanks.

post #474 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

What genre music did you use to test the HP? Or, is it a mix of everything? Thanks.

most of the genres. pop rock classical etc.

 

imo better all rounders than hd518 because of being neutral.

post #475 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post


thanks for feedback.

maybe you should listen to k550 yourself.

besides do you realise there is difference between deep bass and bloated bass?

all recent akg efforts (k550, k712 and maybe even k812 have awesome deep bass. that does not make it thick and bloated.)

when you hear drum beat, you hear drum membrane vibrating till its frequency gets lower and lower progressively. At very low frequencies they produce deep bass.

it has nothing to do with being strong, slam wise or thickness wise.

Send it over then smily_headphones1.gif

I dont know why you are talking about bloated bass at all....

Akg house sound to me were the akg 240mk2 and akg k 501s and I don't remember them having thick bass what so ever...

When you talk about drums be specific which part you are implying because bass drum sound is hard to reproduce (so are cymbals)..if it were to be reproduced the headphone will have to tuned in that manner, i.e make bass and lower to be more than neutral or in other words be at higher decibels than how our ear drums react to those frequencies....if you make it that way the diaphragm will have to displace a lot of air, which will cause a jump in distortion levels when it is playing treble frequencies simultaneously....if you instead concentrate on higher frequencies you will get an accuracy oriented tone however lose the depth and thickness of note especially at bass frequencies...so it really depends on tuning the headphone to what you think is right..

When you say its a neutral headphone, it is only demanding what your description of neutral is...either way I just don't get it how a detail pulling headphone can make lower bitrate files sound good as you pledge by...instead it should show you how bad the quality of file is... Else there is no reason to pursue good sound.... It should reflect your rig and if at all there is any weak links like source, amp , headphone or music file...whichever is the weaklink you oughta improve upon that...
post #476 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post


Send it over then smily_headphones1.gif

I dont know why you are talking about bloated bass at all....

Akg house sound to me were the akg 240mk2 and akg k 501s and I don't remember them having thick bass what so ever...

When you talk about drums be specific which part you are implying because bass drum sound is hard to reproduce (so are cymbals)..if it were to be reproduced the headphone will have to tuned in that manner, i.e make bass and lower to be more than neutral or in other words be at higher decibels than how our ear drums react to those frequencies....if you make it that way the diaphragm will have to displace a lot of air, which will cause a jump in distortion levels when it is playing treble frequencies simultaneously....if you instead concentrate on higher frequencies you will get an accuracy oriented tone however lose the depth and thickness of note especially at bass frequencies...so it really depends on tuning the headphone to what you think is right..

When you say its a neutral headphone, it is only demanding what your description of neutral is...either way I just don't get it how a detail pulling headphone can make lower bitrate files sound good as you pledge by...instead it should show you how bad the quality of file is... Else there is no reason to pursue good sound.... It should reflect your rig and if at all there is any weak links like source, amp , headphone or music file...whichever is the weaklink you oughta improve upon that...


they don't have bloated bass.

 

very clean sounding, detailed enough such that no two drum beats sound same. accurate just the way it was played by artist. its tight and deep.

 

 

also they are very clean sounding so they mask grain in amp or recording very well. same goes for mp3 artifacts.

 

hope its clear now.

post #477 of 911

I am in Bangalore. Check my sig, for gear info.

post #478 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

Hi,

 

I have made a midrange-tweeter ESL panel. I should have posted this back on the 17th of May when it played for all of 2 mins before snapping and leaking charge. Best part was the bass that I didn't expect at all(rather was certain of a steep roll off from 1KHz). There was no texture to the bass though.

 

Here are some pictures.

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

*

 

 

 

Cheers,

Azaan

Nice!!!

post #479 of 911

By the way, me and Ayaflo once had a Head-fi meet at my house in Bangalore. We were the only two participants.

post #480 of 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathzombie View Post
 

By the way, me and Ayaflo once had a Head-fi meet at my house in Bangalore. We were the only two participants.

 

pics?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS