Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS - Page 30

post #436 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post
 

 

 

hell big names like woo audio who have international repute are boutique manufacturers offering hand made products

 

 

I disagree with you. The difference between boutique and a full blown brand is considerably big when it comes to such a specific domain like Audio.

Senns and AKGs have enough of a commercial aura to make products that cater to a not so bothersome consumer( like CX-180s and AKG K311s) and also to the elite customers(like HD700s), out of their vast history and their ability to invest - while you will not see Woo Audio or Audiostatic making non-competitive products to cater to such consumers because their capital is invested with the promise of big returns and the motive of breaking even....

 

What I mean to say is Brand have the power and money to cater to everyone while it is not the same with Boutique Woo Audio. But 10 years down the line, niether you nor I can guarantee that Woo Audio will have made enough profit to enter lower/budget consumer markets or become a 'Brand'

 

Yes, India is in fact very small a market for Audio Manufacturing but there are some really amazing Speaker manufacturers like Cadence Audio who have a good repute even in the states.

post #437 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post


................

Yes, India is in fact very small a market for Audio Manufacturing but there are some really amazing Speaker manufacturers like Cadence Audio who have a good repute even in the states.
I get the feeling that most of the Indians who are "into audio" are most likely to own full blown stereo or AV systems. I have a couple of friends in Chennai who have audio showrooms but who do not have a single headphone to showcase, let alone audition. It's all floor standers. This is not a complaint by any means.
post #438 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

 

 

I disagree with you. The difference between boutique and a full blown brand is considerably big when it comes to such a specific domain like Audio.

Senns and AKGs have enough of a commercial aura to make products that cater to a not so bothersome consumer( like CX-180s and AKG K311s) and also to the elite customers(like HD700s), out of their vast history and their ability to invest - while you will not see Woo Audio or Audiostatic making non-competitive products to cater to such consumers because their capital is invested with the promise of big returns and the motive of breaking even....

 

What I mean to say is Brand have the power and money to cater to everyone while it is not the same with Boutique Woo Audio. But 10 years down the line, niether you nor I can guarantee that Woo Audio will have made enough profit to enter lower/budget consumer markets or become a 'Brand'

 

Yes, India is in fact very small a market for Audio Manufacturing but there are some really amazing Speaker manufacturers like Cadence Audio who have a good repute even in the states.

 

 

diy amps are easy to make. they are based on schematics and you simply have to solder as shown.

 

I would say its not even that hard to create schematic yourself if you adhere to certain principle, and then make it. Completely DIY amp. (as I am electrical engineer)

 

but when it comes to headphones, I would like to know how to make a good sounding headphone by yourself. it involves a completely different black magic to create a resolving, detailed, multilayer ed presentation with precise imaging.

 

I find it hard to believe that any (completely) home made headphone can compete with likes of senn hd650/ akg q701/ beyer dt880,

 

let alone hd800, T1 or k 812.

 

I am sorry if I am being harsh, but in this case, i need to hear it to believe it.

post #439 of 837
Quote:
 

I find it hard to believe that any (completely) home made headphone can compete with likes of senn hd650/ akg q701/ beyer dt880,

 

let alone hd800, T1 or k 812.

 

 

Did it occur to you that this is the exact reason I am asking you to listen to a home-made E-stat headphone?:deadhorse:

 

As I posted earlier, Please note that I have had non-continual 3 hours audition with a full-fledged Accuphase run Speaker system that probably had depth, space and transients I have heard above anything else. 

 

FYI - I have auditioned the AKG K501 and DT880(250 Ohm) in 2012 out of a Yamaha silent cinema A/V receiver. While  I cannot recall the impression I had of the K501 due to a non-enthusiastic salesman, the DT880 was large in stage and texture yet not resolving as much as the Shure SRH-940 thru Audinst HUD MX2 nor was it equally clean. And my Sony SA-5k beat them all when run using a HRT MS-II DAC via Maverick Audio A-100(?) in resolution and Bass extension. I own the DT990 Pro which are excellent headphones in most aspects with a sound as clean or better than the DT880 Pro. The DT880 Pro sounds like a tamed version of the DT990 TBH.

 

I have not heard the HD-800 nor the T1 or the K812... but the Orpheus Clones I auditioned are just another level especially the blackness between notes(ala decay), the clarity and transparency. 

My point is not that they are better than the best headphones but the question of right investments in this hobby...:blink: 

post #440 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

 

 

Did it occur to you that this is the exact reason I am asking you to listen to a home-made E-stat headphone?:deadhorse:

 

As I posted earlier, Please note that I have had non-continual 3 hours audition with a full-fledged Accuphase run Speaker system that probably had depth, space and transients I have heard above anything else. 

 

FYI - I have auditioned the AKG K501 and DT880(250 Ohm) in 2012 out of a Yamaha silent cinema A/V receiver. While  I cannot recall the impression I had of the K501 due to a non-enthusiastic salesman, the DT880 was large in stage and texture yet not resolving as much as the Shure SRH-940 thru Audinst HUD MX2 nor was it equally clean. And my Sony SA-5k beat them all when run using a HRT MS-II DAC via Maverick Audio A-100(?) in resolution and Bass extension. I own the DT990 Pro which are excellent headphones in most aspects with a sound as clean or better than the DT880 Pro. The DT880 Pro sounds like a tamed version of the DT990 TBH.

 

I have not heard the HD-800 nor the T1 or the K812... but the Orpheus Clones I auditioned are just another level especially the blackness between notes(ala decay), the clarity and transparency. 

My point is not that they are better than the best headphones but the question of right investments in this hobby...:blink: 

 

well somebody far off could achieve that quality does not mean we all can start making headphones at home.

 

expert companies need to exist and imo if some can start in India, that'd be great.

post #441 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post
 

 

well somebody far off could achieve that quality does not mean we all can start making headphones at home.

 

expert companies need to exist and imo if some can start in India, that'd be great.

 

"Far Off ? " I know a build of an ESL in Sri-Lanka and I do not know many people who purposely choose to be ignorant.

 

There is a certain pleasure in learning and discovery like the odd hour I spent yesterday at a Audio equipment for rent shop that gives mixers, mics and PA systems... Irrespective of me repeating Electrostatic speakers and the transformer ratings required.. he kept on asking me to read books about Satellites and contact E&C engineers. 

 

A funny world in fact. :wink:

post #442 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

 

"Far Off ? " I know a build of an ESL in Sri-Lanka and I do not know many people who purposely choose to be ignorant.

 

There is a certain pleasure in learning and discovery like the odd hour I spent yesterday at a Audio equipment for rent shop that gives mixers, mics and PA systems... Irrespective of me repeating Electrostatic speakers and the transformer ratings required.. he kept on asking me to read books about Satellites and contact E&C engineers. 

 

A funny world in fact. :wink:

Curious...how on earth do you get to know of DIYs in foreign countries ? Is it through the DIY thread ?

post #443 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

 

"Far Off ? " I know a build of an ESL in Sri-Lanka and I do not know many people who purposely choose to be ignorant.

 

There is a certain pleasure in learning and discovery like the odd hour I spent yesterday at a Audio equipment for rent shop that gives mixers, mics and PA systems... Irrespective of me repeating Electrostatic speakers and the transformer ratings required.. he kept on asking me to read books about Satellites and contact E&C engineers. 

 

A funny world in fact. :wink:

 

well if you are knowledgeable, why dont you post some of it here ...

post #444 of 837

Guys, anyone in Delhi-NCR with good amps for the HD650 that I can sample? I can bring my cans across

post #445 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

Curious...how on earth do you get to know of DIYs in foreign countries ? Is it through the DIY thread ?

 

 

Head-fi is not the only website you know... Its just a lot more commercial than the others.
 There are other web-sites like diyaudio.com which is highly informative, diyesl.com and hundreds of blogs and projects posted all across the internet with excellent builds. 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post
 

 

well if you are knowledgeable, why dont you post some of it here ...

 

 

why do you still resort for someone to spoonfeed you? I am tired of putting up with your incompetent comments>> I think you are just replying for arguments sake but if you are really interested why don't you check some of those sites I have recommended to ganesh above.


Have a good day All!! :smile:

post #446 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

 

 

 

why do you still resort for someone to spoonfeed you? I am tired of putting up with your incompetent comments>> I think you are just replying for arguments sake but if you are really interested why don't you check some of those sites I have recommended to ganesh above.


Have a good day All!! :smile:

 

well I simply wanna know if your knowledge is all theoretical or you have converted it into something that performs in real world.

 

easier said than done.

post #447 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post
 

 

easier said than done.

 

 

This i agree... very much! :beerchug:.

 

On the bright side, I stopped spending anything on audio equipments:rolleyes:.. and if I am to do anything its to make and test an ESL.

 

My point is that some DIY products can compete with the best products in the market and may cost much less. Taking that route is a good choice especially since the pricing of some of the flagship products in India is hyped with customs and retail commission and taxes. A B&W P5 costed 25k in Bangalore while its MRP is $299.00, this is back when the $ was 54 Rupees.


 

post #448 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

 

 

Head-fi is not the only website you know... Its just a lot more commercial than the others.
 There are other web-sites like diyaudio.com which is highly informative, diyesl.com and hundreds of blogs and projects posted all across the internet with excellent builds. 

 

Thanks mate. I have been lazy and its easy to get to the commercial sites first :wink:. Frankly DIY is not a first go-to option for me especially with anything electrostatic. At the same time, I am curious about what I'm missing. At worst, its educational and at best, hey, maybe I build something.

post #449 of 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

Curious...how on earth do you get to know of DIYs in foreign countries ? Is it through the DIY thread ?

 

 

Head-fi is not the only website you know... Its just a lot more commercial than the others.
 There are other web-sites like diyaudio.com which is highly informative, diyesl.com and hundreds of blogs and projects posted all across the internet with excellent builds. 

 

 

 

 

Thanks for links, if I am able to build an Firstwatt F5 DIY amp then nothing like it.

post #450 of 837

Hello pals,

 

Again deviating off-topic but am putting up my Cowon iAudio10 (16GB) for sale. I know, I'm too lazy to put it up in the For-Sale forums, so just thought that I'll put it up on olx.in, and be done with it. 

 

Link below:

 

http://gurgaon.olx.in/cowon-iaudio10-mp3-digital-audio-player-16-gb-iid-623354774

 

Do message me if anyone's interested. I'm selling it because of the need for more storage, and also to fund more headphone puchases. The player is in very good condition though, and please feel free to request more pics if the above link doesn't work for some reason. As for the sound, anyone who's listened to a Cowon player before can get an idea of the sound quality, especially the great enhancements, which actually do a great job, unlike most other players of the same price range IMO.

 

Thanks & cheers,

Shreyas

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS