Originally Posted by kousik1946
Did onyone buy a used headphone (over the ear) from USA or UK and from head-fi? How do you pay and how do you know it's not fake? And after shipping are you being charged for customs? I want to buy some used pair from abroad through paypal. But I am scared of fake products and customs charge.
I've done the same along with many of the India Forum members present here. Via any forum listing in blogs and merchant websites like eBayi you have to see the following before going in for a purchase
1. Previous Track Record and Rating of the seller, including Feedback received
2. In case of a Zero Feedback score, if the seller is offering a price, which is lower than anyone who has posted online, it is something one should be very careful about. Possibilities of fake are
higher in those cases.
3. Customs is charged on New items on the actual amount declared by seller, subject to maximum 36.05% ad valorem. For used items, it is charged at a 50% concession, so subject to maximum
18.025% ad valorem.
4. For New items it is advisable to ask the seller to declare the item at actual value to avoid delays from customs and ensuring proper application of warranty, as during repair sending item back
and forth the actual proof of payment of customs eases the issue when the item is shipped back after repair by the manufacturer. In case of used item, if warranty still exists, it is better to get
the original receipt for warranty purposes and ensure the seller declares the actual value of the transaction. For used item, it depends on the seller what value is declared, as one will get insurance
coverage on the declared value if the item is lost in transit.
5. In case of Used item, you should also check, if seller has a no return policy, as if there is a defect in the item the no return policy will be favourable to the seller.
6. In case of dispute, you need a mediator like PayPal to ensure proper balance in is there in order to protect your interest, whether there is a delay in delivery or difference in item advertised
and item sent.