Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS - Page 18

post #256 of 839

What is your budget for a DAC/Amp ? There is a listing in the Head-fi For Sale forum for a used Woo WA7. That could be your answer. Please keep in mind shipping and customs (add approximately 30% to your cost).

post #257 of 839

SJaveri,

 

just my two cents. I prefer using tube/hybrid amps than pure solid-state with the HD800. My budget setup includes the Schiit Bifrost uber/Vali/Lyr for the 800 going up to the Gungnir/Zana Deux SE. There is also a whole set up of DIY tube amps if you are into that sort of thing.

post #258 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post
 

SJaveri,

 

just my two cents. I prefer using tube/hybrid amps than pure solid-state with the HD800. My budget setup includes the Schiit Bifrost uber/Vali/Lyr for the 800 going up to the Gungnir/Zana Deux SE. There is also a whole set up of DIY tube amps if you are into that sort of thing.

 

I am new into the world of hi-end audio, still a noob :) Just looking for something at max $900 or so, perhaps an Asus Xonar Essence Muses Edition @ 50k? I am open to tube amps as well. Where in India are you located?

post #259 of 839

I'm in Chennai. For $900, its a no-brainer. You get a Woo WA7 (its a dac&amp) and call it a day. That's just my opinion anyway. I would not look at anything else.

post #260 of 839
You can't go wrong with WA7 as it pairs well with 800 according to many head-fiers. There is a new version of WA7 also coming soon. Check it out if you're interested or you can get a m-stage for now and save your money for high end amps later. I'm using it for a month and totally satisfied for now.
Edited by jerrick85 - 3/17/14 at 1:24am
post #261 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrick85 View Post

You can't go wrong with WA7 as it pairs well with 800 according to many head-fiers. There is a new version of WA7 also coming soon. Check it out if you're interested or you can get a m-stage for now and save your money for high end amps later. I'm using it for a month and totally satisfied for now.

 

does the pairing causes sibilance? how is treble?

 

I used my audio technica with my audinst, and it resulted in harsh metallic treble.

 

for my next setup, would prefer something with delicate but extended treble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaveri View Post
 

I recently bought the HD 800's and am wondering if anyone else in mumbai owns these? I would love to try them on a different amp/dac combo as i am currently using only a xonar essence stx. Would love to see what these are capable of so i can justify spending another bunch of money on a good combo to drive these properly. Thanks :)

 

for this kinda budget, you can also look into fostex hp-a8 as well.

post #262 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post
 

 

does the pairing causes sibilance? how is treble?

 

I used my audio technica with my audinst, and it resulted in harsh metallic treble.

 

for my next setup, would prefer something with delicate but extended treble.

 

No sibilance and treble is detailed enough to satisfy me. Don't know how m-stage pairs with audio technica but at this price range, choices are limited for hd800. I'm planning to move up later but now i can't say i'm unhappy with its performance now. 

post #263 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrick85 View Post
 

No sibilance and treble is detailed enough to satisfy me. Don't know how m-stage pairs with audio technica but at this price range, choices are limited for hd800. I'm planning to move up later but now i can't say i'm unhappy with its performance now. 

 

thanks. I myself intend to get a versatile amp and be done with amps. building systems around each hp one owns would be rather expensive.

 

m stage is recommended quiet a lot for hd800 / q701, both hps known for hot treble, so guess it'll be a good match if i get the akg.

post #264 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post

thanks. I myself intend to get a versatile amp and be done with amps. building systems around each hp one owns would be rather expensive.
.................
While ideal, I am not sure if a one amp serves all is available. That's why this hobby is addictive. In my experience, while one DAC could be sufficient, one ends up tailoring the amp to the HP. And that is why it is said:
"Sorry about your wallet"
post #265 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post
 

 

thanks. I myself intend to get a versatile amp and be done with amps. building systems around each hp one owns would be rather expensive.

 

m stage is recommended quiet a lot for hd800 / q701, both hps known for hot treble, so guess it'll be a good match if i get the akg.

This may be true with some headphones, but most require a system to be build around them. For example, i don't spend much time and money to find a perfect amp for my hd598 and even my X3 can drive them well. But same cannot be applied to hd800/he-500. Both these headphones depends on your audio chain to perform well and drive them to their maximum potential. Every time you buy some amp and think that you're done with amps but soon you will get a feeling that you are missing something and you can get more out of your headphones if you explore other amps. I'm sure m-stage is a good amp, but i only consider them as a temporary solution which helps me enjoy my headphone while i'm looking for other amps and save money to get them.        

post #266 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post


While ideal, I am not sure if a one amp serves all is available. That's why this hobby is addictive. In my experience, while one DAC could be sufficient, one ends up tailoring the amp to the HP. And that is why it is said:
"Sorry about your wallet"

 

yeah. I intend to stay in mid fi as long as possible. that'll probably help.

 

sure with something like hd800, one is required to get matching amp (usually cost as much as hp) to make most out of it. otherwise investment in headphone itself is wasted, as they are not being used to their full potential.

 

but midfi stuff don't have that much potential, and a lot of them sound good on most amps.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrick85 View Post
 

This may be true with some headphones, but most require a system to be build around them. For example, i don't spend much time and money to find a perfect amp for my hd598 and even my X3 can drive them well. But same cannot be applied to hd800/he-500. Both these headphones depends on your audio chain to perform well and drive them to their maximum potential. Every time you buy some amp and think that you're done with amps but soon you will get a feeling that you are missing something and you can get more out of your headphones if you explore other amps. I'm sure m-stage is a good amp, but i only consider them as a temporary solution which helps me enjoy my headphone while i'm looking for other amps and save money to get them.        

 

looks like you have your eyes set on something higher end?

post #267 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post

 

looks like you have your eyes set on something higher end?

I'm looking at Woo Audio WA22 or Bryston BHA-1, but hope i won't spend it on LCD-X before getting there. Also i'm planning to try some other amps in between ;) 

post #268 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrick85 View Post
 

I'm looking at Woo Audio WA22 or Bryston BHA-1, but hope i won't spend it on LCD-X before getting there. Also i'm planning to try some other amps in between ;) 


both amps are looking great. which dac are you planning to use? I would get amp instead of lcd-x if it were my choice.

 

gotta get a woo audio at some point, for looks alone if not sound. sound matches looks is just added bonus. :bigsmile_face:

post #269 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrick85 View Post

I'm looking at Woo Audio WA22 or Bryston BHA-1, but hope i won't spend it on LCD-X before getting there. Also i'm planning to try some other amps in between wink.gif  
Get the W22 and with your 800, call it a day! Get a PS Audio DAC mk2 and that will be endgame rig.
post #270 of 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavp View Post
 


both amps are looking great. which dac are you planning to use? I would get amp instead of lcd-x if it were my choice.

 

gotta get a woo audio at some point, for looks alone if not sound. sound matches looks is just added bonus. :bigsmile_face:

Haven't thought much about dacs at this moment. But i'm only going to focus on dacs after improving my amp section. You're right about the lcd-x though, there is no point in adding more headphones to your collection without having proper amps to drive your current phones to their maximum potential.       

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS