Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS - Page 136

post #2026 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyasMax View Post

Whoa whoa, why so much hate for the old X3 folks? It isn't that bad as you're all making it out to be, I must say.

 

I haven't had a single freeze or bug encounter till now, although sound-wise I admit it isn't the ultimate portable experience one can have. But for a stand alone DAP around 12-14k INR, it does deserve a little more appreciation fellas.

I have no gripes with the sound quality and absolutely adore the Line Out. But there are quite a few noticeable bugs mostly UI related. Sure the current versions of the firmware are very stable. Infact a million times more stable than FW2.1 which shipped with my unit when I bought it and froze like every 10-15 minutes or so. Sadly basic stuff like tag information, album art, file browser, etc. still need fixing.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardar17 View Post
 

 

Even the hardware wise new x3 wipes floor with older one,at least on paper.Not to mention to play native dsd /dsf files without conversion to pcm which even x5 cannot do.

Native DSD decoding is a plus but then DSD is a bit of a rarity.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman134 View Post
 


 Not exactly with the X3 II in tow. With better sound and DAC.

Wolfson fanboys might still prefer the WM8740 over the CS4398 :D 


Edited by sandman1990 - 3/23/15 at 12:04pm
post #2027 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1990 View Post
 

I have no gripes with the sound quality and absolutely adore the Line Out. But there are quite a few noticeable bugs mostly UI related. Sure the current versions of the firmware are very stable. Infact a million times more stable than FW2.1 which shipped with my unit when I bought it and froze like every 10-15 minutes or so. Sadly basic stuff like tag information, album art, file browser, etc. still need fixing.

 

Native DSD decoding is a plus but then DSD is a bit of a rarity.

 

 

Wolfson fanboys might still prefer the WM8740 over the CS4398 :D 


Newer one has two crystal oscillators for lower jitter

Better body resembling x1 and x5

Much superior ui

dsd/dsf ability(whether u will ever use is another issue,lol)

post #2028 of 4120
I'm sure the X3 2nd Gen will be way better than the 1st Gen, and also the DAC implementation should be better. Build quality is superior and also better looking,IMO.

If a chance for an audition is possible, it should be taken no questions asked. Here's hoping that the next gen X5 would be my next target DAP, if and when it comes about.
post #2029 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardar17 View Post
 

Much superior ui

Certainly. The old one's was rather confusing although the user mods/themes have eased the situation.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreyasMax View Post

I'm sure the X3 2nd Gen will be way better than the 1st Gen, and also the DAC implementation should be better. Build quality is superior and also better looking,IMO.

If a chance for an audition is possible, it should be taken no questions asked. Here's hoping that the next gen X5 would be my next target DAP, if and when it comes about.

Hope so. The build quality of the old is also pretty good. But I like the new gunmetal finish of the 2nd gen. Matches with the E12A ;).
I'm also saving up for the next gen X5.

post #2030 of 4120

Any fans of Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles on here?

 

I'm on a nightmarish quest to find the best recordings I can for these bands.

 

I've got a friend with the remastered Beatles USB, which from what I'm told is as good as it gets. So might just buy this unless someone has something better to suggest.

 

Given the time period in which these artists played I understand that there might be limitations on how good their recordings (remastered or otherwise) could be. I don't expect them to sound as good as a modern recording of a classical or jazz piece, but I want to know I'm dropping my money on something that's "as good as it gets" for these bands. HDTracks and other such sites offer a lot of high res albums but are they really more than just an up-scaled version of the recordings....some of them are frightfully expensive.

post #2031 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleOnRed View Post
 

Any fans of Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles on here?

 

I'm on a nightmarish quest to find the best recordings I can for these bands.

 

I've got a friend with the remastered Beatles USB, which from what I'm told is as good as it gets. So might just buy this unless someone has something better to suggest.

 

Given the time period in which these artists played I understand that there might be limitations on how good their recordings (remastered or otherwise) could be. I don't expect them to sound as good as a modern recording of a classical or jazz piece, but I want to know I'm dropping my money on something that's "as good as it gets" for these bands. HDTracks and other such sites offer a lot of high res albums but are they really more than just an up-scaled version of the recordings....some of them are frightfully expensive.


You can find the dynamic range of different releases at http://dr.loudness-war.info

post #2032 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleOnRed View Post
 

Any fans of Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles on here?

 

I'm on a nightmarish quest to find the best recordings I can for these bands.

 

I've got a friend with the remastered Beatles USB, which from what I'm told is as good as it gets. So might just buy this unless someone has something better to suggest.

 

Given the time period in which these artists played I understand that there might be limitations on how good their recordings (remastered or otherwise) could be. I don't expect them to sound as good as a modern recording of a classical or jazz piece, but I want to know I'm dropping my money on something that's "as good as it gets" for these bands. HDTracks and other such sites offer a lot of high res albums but are they really more than just an up-scaled version of the recordings....some of them are frightfully expensive.

 Me, me! I have 320s for all of them. Had some FLACs as well but I didn't notice any difference between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC files. Maybe my hardware isn't up to a scale to go into intricate details.

 

There is another issue of old recording though. They won't reach to a level that recent years technologies manage. Best old recording I've ever heard has to be Nina Simone's 'Sinnerman'. 

post #2033 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleOnRed View Post
 

Any fans of Zeppelin, The Who, The Rolling Stones and the Beatles on here?

 

I'm on a nightmarish quest to find the best recordings I can for these bands.

 

I've got a friend with the remastered Beatles USB, which from what I'm told is as good as it gets. So might just buy this unless someone has something better to suggest.

 

Given the time period in which these artists played I understand that there might be limitations on how good their recordings (remastered or otherwise) could be. I don't expect them to sound as good as a modern recording of a classical or jazz piece, but I want to know I'm dropping my money on something that's "as good as it gets" for these bands. HDTracks and other such sites offer a lot of high res albums but are they really more than just an up-scaled version of the recordings....some of them are frightfully expensive.

That's my bread and butter. I am slowly replacing all of my recoredings. For Led Zep and the Who I have got some 24/96 AIFFs from HDtracks... I've got CD rips for the Beatles. What is this remastered Beatles USB and where do you think I can get it (willing to pay of course).

post #2034 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1990 View Post
 

 

Wolfson fanboys might still prefer the WM8740 over the CS4398 :D 

 

& in that case, the D-zero MK2( a DAC/Amp) has one WM8740 for each channel. That is something for the price.

post #2035 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

 

& in that case, the D-zero MK2( a DAC/Amp) has one WM8740 for each channel. That is something for the price.


Pricewise, its looks like a very good deal. It also kinda reminds me of their DX90. Dual ES9018 at an unmatched price.

post #2036 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman1990 View Post

 


You can find the dynamic range of different releases at http://dr.loudness-war.info
Thanks, will take a look at the site over the weekend. Swamped at work at the moment frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by EISENbricher View Post

 
 Me, me! I have 320s for all of them. Had some FLACs as well but I didn't notice any difference between 320kbps mp3 and FLAC files. Maybe my hardware isn't up to a scale to go into intricate details.

There is another issue of old recording though. They won't reach to a level that recent years technologies manage. Best old recording I've ever heard has to be Nina Simone's 'Sinnerman'. 
That's what I'm worried about too. Spending money on something that's not really better. 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

 
That's my bread and butter. I am slowly replacing all of my recoredings. For Led Zep and the Who I have got some 24/96 AIFFs from HDtracks... I've got CD rips for the Beatles. What is this remastered Beatles USB and where do you think I can get it (willing to pay of course).
I'm trying to do the same thing. I'm quite pleased with my Beatles and Zeppelin stuff. Would really like to buy some of The Who albums next.

The green apple shaped USB stick was a limited edition release in 2009. Its DRM free MP3 (320 kbps) and FLAC (44.1khz), all in stereo, no mono unfortunately. It's still available on Amazon (US and UK) and eBay for anywhere between 200 to 300 USD.
Edited by Ritvik - 3/26/15 at 12:55pm
post #2037 of 4120

Further listening sessions with the Titan 1, I actually find many similarities with the JVC HA-FXT-90. Both of them have a very similar signature, but the FXT-90 do vocals more justice and more obvious spitting of details in treble.

 

They are going for $73 in Amazon that makes it a better deal than the Titan 1s to be honest.

 

If anyone is thinking of getting the Titan 1 but they fall just out of your budget, the FXT-90 is a better choice.

post #2038 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayaflo View Post
 

Further listening sessions with the Titan 1, I actually find many similarities with the JVC HA-FXT-90. Both of them have a very similar signature, but the FXT-90 do vocals more justice and more obvious spitting of details in treble.

 

They are going for $73 in Amazon that makes it a better deal than the Titan 1s to be honest.

 

If anyone is thinking of getting the Titan 1 but they fall just out of your budget, the FXT-90 is a better choice.


VSD5 will serve better.

post #2039 of 4120
OK posting after a long time. Anyone have any experience carrying an headphone amplifier on a flight. I mean a desktop HP amp not portable. (Schiit Vali to be precise)

Am moving to Mumbai in 2 weeks.

OT: if I last 1 month in Mumbai, I will have lived 1 month at least in all 5 big metropolitans of India within the last one year. tongue.gif
post #2040 of 4120
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddington View Post

OK posting after a long time. Anyone have any experience carrying an headphone amplifier on a flight. I mean a desktop HP amp not portable. (Schiit Vali to be precise)

Am moving to Mumbai in 2 weeks.

OT: if I last 1 month in Mumbai, I will have lived 1 month at least in all 5 big metropolitans of India within the last one year. tongue.gif

Welcome to Mumbai : D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS