Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 515

post #7711 of 30522
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

I'm very pleased it worked out Braver, a relief for you not having to send that huge lump of metal back, I'm made up for you.

 

I am feeling a little pleased with myself this evening as I managed to set up my slick wireless feed from my PC. Not a big deal for a lot of you guys but for me, hmmm. I now have my PC running my lossless itunes library to an Apple TV box then optical into a DACmagic and into the WA6. My library is controlled wirelessly by my ipod Touch, its all very slick and to my ears (first listen tonight) it sounds mighty fine. Another plus is the volume level which with my imod straight into the WA6 was pretty much maxxed out, now the pc and itunes volume levels can be adjusted to suit.

 

I'm chilling now with my notebook on my lap and a glass of Irish by my side feeling good. That is, until I think about having spent most of my WA22 fund on all the above. Ho hum....


From where I sit (inside my listening room at this writing), you'd be luxuriating either way. Difference being your approach. You're destined to have a brilliant night!

post #7712 of 30522
Grats, Braver! Glad it is all sorted.

Pics!? wink.gif
post #7713 of 30522


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braver View Post





 

Lol, yeah, I've a bunch of tubes lying around ever since ordering the wa6, waiting to be rolled biggrin.gif Anyway, it works now, not sure what did it... Just followed Jack's tips on reinstalling and reconnecting everything... Let me just repeat my reaction to Jack: "I do not comprehend why, because I changed tubes this morning, reconnected it twice, and it didn't help. But now it's fixed. And my god, it sounds wondrous. Thank you, thank you, thank you! "w00t cool.gif


You've not heard much anything yet.  After some break-in you will be more amazed.  Enjoy! beyersmile.png

post #7714 of 30522
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

I'm very pleased it worked out Braver, a relief for you not having to send that huge lump of metal back, I'm made up for you.

 

I am feeling a little pleased with myself this evening as I managed to set up my slick wireless feed from my PC. Not a big deal for a lot of you guys but for me, hmmm. I now have my PC running my lossless itunes library to an Apple TV box then optical into a DACmagic and into the WA6. My library is controlled wirelessly by my ipod Touch, its all very slick and to my ears (first listen tonight) it sounds mighty fine. Another plus is the volume level which with my imod straight into the WA6 was pretty much maxxed out, now the pc and itunes volume levels can be adjusted to suit.

 

I'm chilling now with my notebook on my lap and a glass of Irish by my side feeling good. That is, until I think about having spent most of my WA22 fund on all the above. Ho hum....


Spud,

 

Sounds like quite the setup, glad the music sounds good and you feel like you accomplished something.


 

post #7715 of 30522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

Just note that if the impedance switch is just changing the output impedance of the amp, this isn't going to have a huge sonic impact on the LCD-2 in the way it would a dynamic headphone, since the LCD-2 isn't subject to damping factor issues like a dynamic-driver would be.


Nope, it changes which transformer tap is being used for the headphones - one setting is for low impedance phones and the other for high impedance phones, like the switch on the back of the WA6.


Changing the output transformer tap is exactly how to change the output impedance wink_face.gif


My understanding was it changed the ratio of voltage reduction from the tubes via transformer, so that the tubes output voltage wouldn't be loaded down too much with too low of a headphone impedance.  I thought the WA6 had a fairly low output impedance regardless of which transformer tap you used.  Thanks for edumacating me.

post #7716 of 30522


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

My understanding was it changed the ratio of voltage reduction from the tubes via transformer, so that the tubes output voltage wouldn't be loaded down too much with too low of a headphone impedance.  I thought the WA6 had a fairly low output impedance regardless of which transformer tap you used.  Thanks for edumacating me.


Well, there are different ways to skin a cat, but typically the output transformer is providing different taps of different impedance.  I'm not certain this is what the Woo switch does, but I would be surprised if it doesn't switch taps.

post #7717 of 30522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmantom View Post
You've not heard much anything yet.  After some break-in you will be more amazed.  Enjoy! beyersmile.png


I know! beyersmile.png It's already showing so much more resolution on the HD580 than I was used to though. The Arietta I had never displayed the difference between my CDP and Ipod as clearly as this thing does: appreciating the NAD a lot more now ;)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerico View Post

Grats, Braver! Glad it is all sorted.

Pics!? wink.gif


I won't do the unpacking thing (kinda looks like all other WA6's anyway), but I will update my avatar in a sec :)

post #7718 of 30522

Sweet.  It's nice to them "in the wild" (ie in your/a system)!

post #7719 of 30522

Any of you guys streaming wirelessly?

 

I had quite a listening session last night with my new set up and on a number of tracks with quiet passages I could hear a very faint ticking/clicking, barely audiable but you know how it is and now I'm listening out for it all the time. Any ideas guys?

post #7720 of 30522
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

Any of you guys streaming wirelessly?

 

I had quite a listening session last night with my new set up and on a number of tracks with quiet passages I could hear a very faint ticking/clicking, barely audiable but you know how it is and now I'm listening out for it all the time. Any ideas guys?


What is the pattern and duration of the clicking?  Is it a cycling ticking, or a ticking that is the same volume all the time?
 

post #7721 of 30522

It's difficult to descibe because it's so quiet. I listen to a lot of Ambient Trance/Chillout which can have this type of sound effect. At first I thought that's what it was, a transient detail that I hadn't picked out before maybe? Unfortunately I can hear the same ticking on almost everything and it's the same volume and speed.

 

Maybe interference or something coming from my pc?

post #7722 of 30522
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

It's difficult to descibe because it's so quiet. I listen to a lot of Ambient Trance/Chillout which can have this type of sound effect. At first I thought that's what it was, a transient detail that I hadn't picked out before maybe? Unfortunately I can hear the same ticking on almost everything and it's the same volume and speed.

 

Maybe interference or something coming from my pc?



This sounds more like a DAC issue to me.  Either that, or something in the ripped files themselves.  What resolution are these files ripped to, and what software and box did you use to rip them?

post #7723 of 30522

Regarding the hi/lo taps on the WA6(SE) when using the LCD-2:  For some odd reason I get better results coming from the High tap off of my WA6SEm.  It seems to give the midrange a bit of a slight bump to my ears, whereas the low tap, in comparison occurs to me as a bit flatter.  I've gone back and forth on several different cuts of music, and on a few occasions now, and with two different DACs in place.  It seems consistent to me, in spite of the actual impedance of those cans being low.  I'm not doing a controlled experiment by matching levels though  - this is just a gut response and my wee brain could be playing tricks on me.   Anyone else with a WA6(SE) experience that?  I don't know if the standard WA6 implements the same specs to the switching in back, and thereby yields similar results, but that's what I've been hearing. 

post #7724 of 30522
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudHarris View Post

It's difficult to descibe because it's so quiet. I listen to a lot of Ambient Trance/Chillout which can have this type of sound effect. At first I thought that's what it was, a transient detail that I hadn't picked out before maybe? Unfortunately I can hear the same ticking on almost everything and it's the same volume and speed.

 

Maybe interference or something coming from my pc?



This sounds more like a DAC issue to me.  Either that, or something in the ripped files themselves.  What resolution are these files ripped to, and what software and box did you use to rip them?

 

Everything I have is either Apple Lossless ripped from my own CD's or a few downloads origionally Flac or Wav but converted to Apple Lossless everythings been fine untill now so I'm assuming it's something in the chain of my new set up.

 

Just for clarity this is: PC (itunes) > Apple TV > Dacmagic > WA6.

 

I'm going to have another listen tonight but use my backup hard drive as my itunes media feed. I read somewhere that the hard drive could be passing this down the line....

 

post #7725 of 30522

Maybe try changing the WIFI broadcast channel on your router?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite