or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 2204

post #33046 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Thank again for the information!

:beerchug:

Did you also purchase your 6F8G's from this seller?

 

Hmm, thanks for the heads-up!

 

Yep - so far so good, but I have not tested my latest batch of NUs (4 pairs). Will them a burst in the WA6 tonight.

 

My earlier purchases (2 pairs) were fine with no problems at all.

post #33047 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNewman View Post
 

Yep - so far so good, but I have not tested my latest batch of NUs (4 pairs). Will them a burst in the WA6 tonight.

My earlier purchases (2 pairs) were fine with no problems at all.

Thanks…its a chance you take when buying NOS tubes from anywhere I would say. I bought almost every tube I own from eBay, and had an issue one time, but the seller and I settled it between ourselves and everything was fine.

If you don't mind, please let me know how the rest of your tubes work out.

Thank you.

 

BTW, anywhere else these are available?

post #33048 of 39043

I have 2 pairs arriving any day now. I will also test.

post #33049 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
 

I have 2 pairs arriving any day now. I will also test.

Thanks.

I've checked to see if Langrex sells them, but I don't see them.

Going to check some other tubes store I've purchased from before.

post #33050 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Thanks.

I've checked to see if Langrex sells them, but I don't see them.

Going to check some other tubes store I've purchased from before.


I sent a email to Langrex a few weeks ago. Nope. Nothing there. He said it was a US only tube. Altho I have seen a Euro tube that was basically a RCA. So they must have used them.

post #33051 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badas View Post
 

I sent a email to Langrex a few weeks ago. Nope. Nothing there. He said it was a US only tube. Altho I have seen a Euro tube that was basically a RCA. So they must have used them.

I just checked about 7 tube distributors, and no one has the NU's, but I did find some RCA and Sylvania's, but would like to hear the NU from the comment on H-F.

post #33052 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
 

 

Careful, this guy (vintubes) ripped me off. I bought 8 T-S flat plates from him that were great. Then I bought 8 NUs, they were ALL bad... terrible static at best, headphone-endangering screeches at worst. He refused to honor his own return policy, and I had to escalate the case to eBay before he came to his senses and gave me a refund (and he didn't even want me to send the tubes back... I'll let everyone draw their own conclusions from that.)

 

I have given all of my NOS NUs a few minutes in my WA6 this evening - 7 pairs - 6 pairs from Italy and 1 pair from another seller - every one of them sound pretty good right out of the box.

 

These are all NOS tubes, only removed from the box for testing as far as I know. All were free from microphonics, but had some limited harshness and lack of extension ... etc that is to be expected from a fresh NOS tube. There is a hint of the lovely sweetness that NUs deliver in some tubes already. Overall, these are some of the best sounding fresh tubes I have ever come across. Every one of them is an enjoyable listening experience right out of the box on my WA6.

 

I can only guess that you had the awful bad luck to get a bad batch. That is very unfortunate and a bit of a tube lovers nightmare :eek::(

 

Some pics - my 14 NUs stacked up after testing (the 2 empties on the right are still in the WA6):

 

 

WA6 test bed - with the Brimar rectifier it has never sounded so good.

 

 

I have compared 'Used, Tested as New' 6F8G TS RPs against 'Used, Tested as New' 6F8G NUs in the WA6 with the Brimar rectifier - and I generally prefer the NUs.

 

I think this is due to the TS RPs being a more neutral driver, and when paired with the subtle Brimar rectifier I find it lacking a little colour for my tastes. Still a stunning listen, and it takes my WA6 far beyond what I thought were its limits, but the NUs deliver some sweet magic that makes the experience something else again. Vocals on the NUs are just big mugs of velvety loveliness. Yummy.

 

With a rectifier that brings more colour to the table the TS RPs would be hard to beat. Either driver tube is a class act and will turn your audiophile crank with ease.

 

Once I get my WA5 back next week, hopefully together with some ER300Bs, I will do some more A/B with the 6F8G TS RPs and NUs. Tough job, but someone has to do it :wink_face:

 

Happy Listening :smile:

post #33053 of 39043
^

Wicked. gs1000.gif
post #33054 of 39043

Just a note, I have not bought any tubes from that particular guy, but when I got my second pair of NU VT-99, I did think it was a bad pair at first. I listened for maybe an hour, some horrible harshness, a bit of screeching, so I just put them away, was disgusted with the purchase. However, I wanted to give them 10 hours or so before I returned them, and I have since passed that 10 hours, and they are doing just fine. A lot of the bad things just went away with another hour or 2, and now, they are near dead silent. I will say, the pins are a bit picky, I have to move one of them around a bit, otherwise it finds a way to induce some scratching sounds.

 

To be expected with very old tubes though. So give the NU a bit of time before you judge them. You might have also really gotten a bad batch. No matter what quality anything is, there is always a bad one or 2 when you make a ton of it.

 

edit: Very jealous of your collection Tony. Glad you are getting the elrogs :) Very interested to see which of the NU or TS you prefer with them.


Edited by Porteroso - 3/17/15 at 6:16am
post #33055 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNewman View Post
 

I have given all of my NOS NUs a few minutes in my WA6 this evening - 7 pairs - 6 pairs from Italy and 1 pair from another seller - every one of them sound pretty good right out of the box.

Thanks for letting me know how the rest of the tubes you purchased worked out.

:beerchug:

post #33056 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Thanks for letting me know how the rest of the tubes you purchased worked out.

:beerchug:

 

Had to check them for my own sanity. Nothing worse than spending significant coin for stuff that doesn't work.

post #33057 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porteroso View Post
 

Just a note, I have not bought any tubes from that particular guy, but when I got my second pair of NU VT-99, I did think it was a bad pair at first. I listened for maybe an hour, some horrible harshness, a bit of screeching, so I just put them away, was disgusted with the purchase. However, I wanted to give them 10 hours or so before I returned them, and I have since passed that 10 hours, and they are doing just fine. A lot of the bad things just went away with another hour or 2, and now, they are near dead silent. I will say, the pins are a bit picky, I have to move one of them around a bit, otherwise it finds a way to induce some scratching sounds.

 

To be expected with very old tubes though. So give the NU a bit of time before you judge them. You might have also really gotten a bad batch. No matter what quality anything is, there is always a bad one or 2 when you make a ton of it.

 

edit: Very jealous of your collection Tony. Glad you are getting the elrogs :) Very interested to see which of the NU or TS you prefer with them.

 

I gave some of the bad ones I bought more than 24 hours burn-in with no change (the ones that weren't attempting to actively damage headphones, that is). I'm glad other people are happy, but it did not work out for me with that seller.

post #33058 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNewman View Post
 

Had to check them for my own sanity. Nothing worse than spending significant coin for stuff that doesn't work.

+1

post #33059 of 39043

I'm waiting for a seller to reply to an offer I made to split 4 1942 NIB/NOS NU-6F8G-VT99 tubes.

If not, is anyone interested in splitting the 4…1-pair each? 

post #33060 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

I'm waiting for a seller to reply to an offer I made to split 4 1942 NIB/NOS NU-6F8G-VT99 tubes.
If not, is anyone interested in splitting the 4…1-pair each? 
Is it your plan to use the 6F8G's with the Brimar rectifier?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite