Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 2066

post #30976 of 30983

I decided to go with SERPs as my endgame 300Bs. Sophia has great customer service (they just responded to an email on a Saturday) and I'm already a fan of their other tubes. I will probably alternate the SERPs with the regular Princess meshes just to keep tube replacement cost down long-term, unless there is a massive difference in SQ.

post #30977 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
 

... I will probably alternate the SERPs with the regular Princess meshes just to keep tube replacement cost down long-term, unless there is a massive difference in SQ.

 

It's a subjective thing, and everyone's ears and setup are different, but for me the difference in SQ between the regular SEP 300Bs and SERP 300Bs would be somewhere around the "substantial / very large" mark. It is immediately noticeable to me when I swap between the SEPs and SERPs - not a subtle difference at all.

 

You might find it hard to go back to the SEPs after hearing what the SERPs can do. I know I do.

post #30978 of 30983
Has anyone heard both the base Wa5 and Wa5 w/ premium parts upgrade?
post #30979 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNewman View Post
 

 

I am in a similar position with my WA5 and 300Bs. I am burning in a set of SERPs right now (have about 100 hours on them).

 

They are a big step up from SEP 300Bs, more detail, more soundstage and lot more extension at both ends (particularly the bass). I'm not sure they are worth the $1200 asking price, however they certainly sound good in my WA5.

 

I have not tried the EML 300Bs - I was tempted, but the relatively poor performance of the EML 274B mesh rectifier put me off. It is a decent tube, but to my ears it is clearly outperformed by a 1960s Mullard GZ32 costing around $80 and about half the size (important in the WA6 where space is at a premium). That really isn't good enough for a new production tube costing around $270 IMHO. That makes me think twice about going for the EML 300Bs.

 

Any WA5 owners out there who have tried both the SERPs and the EML 300Bs that can give some insight?

 

I am having some success with the Pavane new production tubes. Running the T2 grey bottle CV181s (really 6SN7s) in my WA5 and WA6. After several bad experiences with NOS driver tubes these are performing very well. Burning in some Pavane WE274B replicas now - only about 60 hours on them - but so far these are also performing well in both my WA5 and WA6. That led me to take a leap for the Pavane WE300B replicas. I don't expect the replicas to duplicate the sound of the vintage WE300B, but I am hoping for a decent sounding tube that gives a taste of the mid-range WE magic that audiophiles rave about.

Tony,

Let us know you opinion of the Psvane WE300B replicas after you get them please.

post #30980 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazsud View Post

Has anyone heard both the base Wa5 and Wa5 w/ premium parts upgrade?

Same question here.. Anyone experienced both care to comment?
post #30981 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNewman View Post
 

 

I am in a similar position with my WA5 and 300Bs. I am burning in a set of SERPs right now (have about 100 hours on them).

 

They are a big step up from SEP 300Bs, more detail, more soundstage and lot more extension at both ends (particularly the bass). I'm not sure they are worth the $1200 asking price, however they certainly sound good in my WA5.

 

I have not tried the EML 300Bs - I was tempted, but the relatively poor performance of the EML 274B mesh rectifier put me off. It is a decent tube, but to my ears it is clearly outperformed by a 1960s Mullard GZ32 costing around $80 and about half the size (important in the WA6 where space is at a premium). That really isn't good enough for a new production tube costing around $270 IMHO. That makes me think twice about going for the EML 300Bs.

 

Any WA5 owners out there who have tried both the SERPs and the EML 300Bs that can give some insight?

 

I am having some success with the Pavane new production tubes. Running the T2 grey bottle CV181s (really 6SN7s) in my WA5 and WA6. After several bad experiences with NOS driver tubes these are performing very well. Burning in some Pavane WE274B replicas now - only about 60 hours on them - but so far these are also performing well in both my WA5 and WA6. That led me to take a leap for the Pavane WE300B replicas. I don't expect the replicas to duplicate the sound of the vintage WE300B, but I am hoping for a decent sounding tube that gives a taste of the mid-range WE magic that audiophiles rave about.

 

i have no problems with EML 300B in my WA5, but im sure there are certainly better tubes nout there.. not sure how the more expensive $1200 SERPs compare. I too feel that the EML 274B offers decent quality but lackluster performance when compared to NOS Tubes of similar pricing.

post #30982 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post
 

Tony,

Let us know you opinion of the Psvane WE300B replicas after you get them please.

 

Will do. I will complete putting 300 hours in the SERPs, then put the Psvanes in for 300 hours. That's going to take quite a few weeks.

 

There are comments out there from folks slagging the Psvanes after 50 or so hours of use - that is not giving these tubes a fair chance - they need lots of burn in to settle down.

post #30983 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNewman View Post
 

 

Will do. I will complete putting 300 hours in the SERPs, then put the Psvanes in for 300 hours. That's going to take quite a few weeks.

 

There are comments out there from folks slagging the Psvanes after 50 or so hours of use - that is not giving these tubes a fair chance - they need lots of burn in to settle down.

I'm guessing we're not neighbors! :tongue_smile:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite