Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 2054

post #30796 of 30909

That's some beautiful looking glass!

post #30797 of 30909

Streolab42,

 

Great toys!

 

Don't worry about the missing stock tubes.  You'll never miss them once you've heard the upgraded tubes/

 

Enjoy!

post #30798 of 30909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post

I'm in with a WA6SE stock currently using the Sophia Princess rectifier and NOS Sylvania fat bottle 6EW7 power tubes.

Headphones:
high impedance jack = HD600's with Moon Audio Blue Dragon v3
low impedance jack = D2000's recabled by Drew with a Blue Dragon v3

I leave both plugged in all the time to show off the matching Furutech plugs.

I am using a Zu Birth power cable.

The source is a Paradisea+ DAC connected with Grover SC 1M RCA's.

Here's the pic, so people can't claim this thread is useless.


 

I have the same Sony CDP!  The WDS-1 great improves CD playback on this player.

 

Reply
post #30799 of 30909

Tube Depot offers these options on driver tubes, which of them is recommended:

 

Balanced Triodes (add $2.00 each)
High Gain (add $2.00 each)
Low Noise & Microphonics (add $4.00 each)
Matching (up to 5 tubes) (add $2.00 each)

 

When buying pairs I assume "Matching" is absolutely desired. "Low Noise", sure. Unsure about the other two.

post #30800 of 30909
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversurfer616 View Post

Thanks for quoting my old post and yes, the Lorenz is a good tube and I alternated it with the Sophia.
But as it is a very old post I have sold the Woo in the meantime and have a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEL-Lorenz-GZ32-5V4G-CV593-German-NOS-high-quality-rectifier-MILspec-tubes-/201072593867?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2ed0dc4bcb

 

did yours also have 4 pins? does it needs an adapter for the wa6-se?

 

post #30801 of 30909

Something I wanted to share with other woo-ites. I have been tube rolling with some new production 300Bs and 6SN7s in my WA5. One thing to be careful with is the fat bottle 6SN7s from Shuguang and PSVANE. These beasties push the available space to the limit. Picture below shows the PSVANE CV181s (really 6SN7s) in my WA5. The tubes are pressed right up against the SERPs - and I cannot fully seat the SERPs. They are very, very close to fully seated, so I'm not bothered, but other Woo owners might have a problem with the tight fit and tubes pressing against each other.

 

Picture says it better than I can:

 

 

The Sophia 6SN7s are smaller and don't touch unless the 300B is off-centre (as one of my mesh SEPs was).

 

If the 6SN7 sockets were placed slightly forward of where the are in the WA5 this wouldn't happen, but I'm guessing monster sized 6SN7s weren't very common back when the WA5 was designed.

 

Anyway, SQ appears to be unaffected. The SERPs + PSVANE TIIs sound excellent (burn in has just started today - and they already sound great). :) 

 

EDIT - just found some 300B socket extenders on EBay. These will raise the 300B tubes and fix the issue. I had no clue such things existed. Paint me stupid :blink:

 

For anyone interested in 300B tube extenders the link is given below.

 

Link


Edited by TonyNewman - 8/26/14 at 3:23am
post #30802 of 30909

it seem like the SERP tubes are fatter at the bottom then the EML and EAT that I have. My Mullard ECC32 and the CV181Z that I used to own were tight like that but the 4 tubes were able to sit properly in the sockets.

post #30803 of 30909
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post
 

it seem like the SERP tubes are fatter at the bottom then the EML and EAT that I have. My Mullard ECC32 and the CV181Z that I used to own were tight like that but the 4 tubes were able to sit properly in the sockets.


The SEP 300Bs use the same glass envelope as the SERPs - as do the SEP 274Bs - big fat bastard things.

 

New production audio tubes seem to be reversing the miniaturisation trend - getting bigger and bigger...

 

Can't argue with the SERP sound though - noticeable step up from the SEP 300Bs.

post #30804 of 30909

I have just read 1054 pages. :eek: Started at page 1000.

 

It took me a week. I mainly just looked at the really cool photos. Damn well done some of you. There is some amazing pics.

 

When I get my Woo I don't think I will even bother to take a picture. It will look rubbish compared to your shots.

 

Also picked up on some tube comments. I will ask for some help in that department once I get rolling (pun intended). It looks like my wallet is still going to continue to get a beating. :darthsmile:

 

Thanks all for your efforts.

post #30805 of 30909
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNewman View Post
 

Something I wanted to share with other woo-ites. I have been tube rolling with some new production 300Bs and 6SN7s in my WA5. One thing to be careful with is the fat bottle 6SN7s from Shuguang and PSVANE. These beasties push the available space to the limit. Picture below shows the PSVANE CV181s (really 6SN7s) in my WA5. The tubes are pressed right up against the SERPs - and I cannot fully seat the SERPs. They are very, very close to fully seated, so I'm not bothered, but other Woo owners might have a problem with the tight fit and tubes pressing against each other.

 

Picture says it better than I can:

 

 

The Sophia 6SN7s are smaller and don't touch unless the 300B is off-centre (as one of my mesh SEPs was).

 

If the 6SN7 sockets were placed slightly forward of where the are in the WA5 this wouldn't happen, but I'm guessing monster sized 6SN7s weren't very common back when the WA5 was designed.

 

Anyway, SQ appears to be unaffected. The SERPs + PSVANE TIIs sound excellent (burn in has just started today - and they already sound great). :) 

 

EDIT - just found some 300B socket extenders on EBay. These will raise the 300B tubes and fix the issue. I had no clue such things existed. Paint me stupid :blink:

 

For anyone interested in 300B tube extenders the link is given below.

 

Link

 

 

thanks for the info/link.  i didn't know socket extenders exist.  anybody has any experience with those?  i have some psvane 6sn7 and always wonder how they would sound with kr 300 balloon

post #30806 of 30909

Can somebody explain to a photography moron how to take pictures of tube amps that emphasize the glow in the tubes? I have a tripod and a decent digital camera, but every attempt to use "low-light" mode or no-flash mode results in a scene that's way too dark without much tube glow. What's the trick?

post #30807 of 30909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post

Can somebody explain to a photography moron how to take pictures of tube amps that emphasize the glow in the tubes? I have a tripod and a decent digital camera, but every attempt to use "low-light" mode or no-flash mode results in a scene that's way too dark without much tube glow. What's the trick?

the tube glow would anyway be too dim compared to any environmental light or strobes so the "trick" won't be in the taking but in the shopping. Just overlay your glowing in the dark photo on top of the photo of the amp with your desired lighting and unmask only the tube glow....
post #30808 of 30909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
 

Can somebody explain to a photography moron how to take pictures of tube amps that emphasize the glow in the tubes? I have a tripod and a decent digital camera, but every attempt to use "low-light" mode or no-flash mode results in a scene that's way too dark without much tube glow. What's the trick?

Is your cam a dslr with "Manual" control? If so, you could shoot in long exposure mode (bulb) and it would bring out the dimly lit glow in the glass.

post #30809 of 30909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

Is your cam a dslr with "Manual" control? If so, you could shoot in long exposure mode (bulb) and it would bring out the dimly lit glow in the glass.

 

Not a dslr, one of those $300 pocket-sized ones. I'm guessing it's not going to do the job and I need to spend more. Head-Fi strikes again!

post #30810 of 30909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereolab42 View Post
 

Not a dslr, one of those $300 pocket-sized ones. I'm guessing it's not going to do the job and I need to spend more. Head-Fi strikes again!

Do you by chance have a Canon Point & Shoot camera? I have hyped-up software on an SD card for mine and it mimics a few features of dlsr's but doesn't overwrite the camera's own software. Though, I do have a Nikon dlsr. :D Taking longer exposures than normally possible with a P&S is one of the features I enjoy most with the lil' Canon.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite