Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 2005

post #30061 of 30962

Infact when I decided to move up from the WA6, the one thing that was a deal breaker for me regarding the WA6 SE was that I couldn't use my 6SN7 tubes.

post #30062 of 30962

@ DG:  Bling on, bay-bay! :D 

post #30063 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 I thought in general she just didn't like the sound of them.

So the sound of the tubes can vary that much from amp to amp? Thanks.

 

mostly I find its hard to find good 6SN7, on most of the amps i have tried, they introduce noise and microphonics, the tubes themselves are more sensitive overall.

 

im happy to say though that the WA5 right now doesn't seem to have any issues with the 6SN7/6F8G, dead silent, its amazing it can do that, the Wa22 sucked at doing that.

post #30064 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

mostly I find its hard to find good 6SN7, on most of the amps i have tried, they introduce noise and microphonics, the tubes themselves are more sensitive overall.

 

im happy to say though that the WA5 right now doesn't seem to have any issues with the 6SN7/6F8G, dead silent, its amazing it can do that, the Wa22 sucked at doing that.


Hmm.. I never had a problem with 6sn7 noise on my WA22 except when with one Ken Rad VT 231, but the tube itself was bad & has noise in all amps I tried it with.

 

Did you try the HE 6 on the WA5 yet ?

post #30065 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

mostly I find its hard to find good 6SN7, on most of the amps i have tried, they introduce noise and microphonics, the tubes themselves are more sensitive overall.

 

im happy to say though that the WA5 right now doesn't seem to have any issues with the 6SN7/6F8G, dead silent, its amazing it can do that, the Wa22 sucked at doing that.

Told you they were excellent tubes in the WA5. Glad you having a blast with the amp and tubes.

post #30066 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 

Infact when I decided to move up from the WA6, the one thing that was a deal breaker for me regarding the WA6 SE was that I couldn't use my 6SN7 tubes.

So you didn't buy it?

I realize this after I ordered my amp…but it wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me anyway.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

mostly I find its hard to find good 6SN7, on most of the amps i have tried, they introduce noise and microphonics, the tubes themselves are more sensitive overall.

 

im happy to say though that the WA5 right now doesn't seem to have any issues with the 6SN7/6F8G, dead silent, its amazing it can do that, the Wa22 sucked at doing that.

Oh, so the issue was just noise with that particular amp, I see.

Glad too hear you don't have this issue with the new amp, because I think they sound really good, but unfortunately I can't use mine any more.


Edited by joseph69 - 5/24/14 at 12:11pm
post #30067 of 30962

^ curious how 6DR7 compares to 6DE7  and to  6EM7

 

I am under  the impression 6EM7 is an upgrade 

 

gotta love the activities on the woo thread :)

post #30068 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapple10 View Post
 

^ curious how 6DR7 compares to 6DE7  and to  6EM7

 

I am under  the impression 6EM7 is an upgrade 

 

gotta love the activities on the woo thread :)

The 6GL7/6EM7 are the same tubes. I tried them from Woo and found they had way too much bass for my taste and drowned out all of the detail/clarity, IMO. Despite it is an upgrade according to Woo's site, I felt it was a downgrade for me

post #30069 of 30962
good for me , I enjoy fun bass
My Grados does not seem as bright as I remember them on the woo or maybe am not as sensitive to brightness
post #30070 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapple10 View Post
 

^ curious how 6DR7 compares to 6DE7  and to  6EM7

 

I am under  the impression 6EM7 is an upgrade 

 

gotta love the activities on the woo thread :)

The 6GL7/6EM7 are the same tubes. I tried them from Woo and found they had way too much bass for my taste and drowned out all of the detail/clarity, IMO. Despite it is an upgrade according to Woo's site, I felt it was a downgrade for me


I find that the 6FD7s have all of the "goodness" of the 6GL7s without the bass bloat the GLs have with a lot of combinations of rectifiers and headphones. It took me a while to get past my own bias that the more expensive tubes had to be better and transition to the FDs as my primary tubes.

596 + 6FD7 + LCD3 = :-) for me.
post #30071 of 30962

About 10 hours into my new WA6-SE, and it sounds good to me. It feels like I'm in a big room inside my K701s, and I've never heard anything quite like it. My first tube amp, so I've only got solid state to compare it with, but I'm liking the journey so far. The next couple of hundred hours should be interesting!

 

Planning to go with the stock tubes up to 20 hours, then switch to the upgrades. Gonna have to dust it soon, too!

post #30072 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post


I find that the 6FD7s have all of the "goodness" of the 6GL7s without the bass bloat the GLs have with a lot of combinations of rectifiers and headphones. It took me a while to get past my own bias that the more expensive tubes had to be better and transition to the FDs as my primary tubes.

596 + 6FD7 + LCD3 = :-) for me.

I have the 6FD7's also, and can't wait to take out the stock tubes in the 6-S/E and hear the 596/6FD7 combo…I think I'll do it in about another 10hrs or so. But I must say, even with the stock tubes the 6-S/E sound nice.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feedbacker View Post
 

About 10 hours into my new WA6-SE, and it sounds good to me. It feels like I'm in a big room inside my K701s, and I've never heard anything quite like it. My first tube amp, so I've only got solid state to compare it with, but I'm liking the journey so far. The next couple of hundred hours should be interesting!

 

Planning to go with the stock tubes up to 20 hours, then switch to the upgrades. Gonna have to dust it soon, too!

Agreed, it sounds great right out of the box…where in the same boat waiting to change the tubes! 

I tried listening to mtg Adcom GFP-710 (SS) pre-amp after using my WA6 for about 4-5 months exclusively, and I couldn't believe the difference…I sold the Adcom the next day!

post #30073 of 30962

FD for me!

post #30074 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

 

Agreed, it sounds great right out of the box…where in the same boat waiting to change the tubes! 

I tried listening to mtg Adcom GFP-710 (SS) pre-amp after using my WA6 for about 4-5 months exclusively, and I couldn't believe the difference…I sold the Adcom the next day!

 

Waiting for my DAC fund to reach a level that will allow for further expenditure, and then more headphones... Oh, and tubes, obv...!

post #30075 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

mostly I find its hard to find good 6SN7, on most of the amps i have tried, they introduce noise and microphonics, the tubes themselves are more sensitive overall.

 

im happy to say though that the WA5 right now doesn't seem to have any issues with the 6SN7/6F8G, dead silent, its amazing it can do that, the Wa22 sucked at doing that.

My WA22 is pretty quiet with 6F8Gs.  The transformers are not quiet, but the tubes definitely are.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite