Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1991

post #29851 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I picked up the first production NOS 1950's black base Mullard GZ34 after the metal base was discontinued, and it sounds great!!!

I would never spend the $ some of these tubes are going for…I can almost buy my amp again for some of these prices!

You will definitely enjoy this tube, and especially for its price!!! 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151227004794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

 

A few years ago I sold a Mullard GZ34 metal base for $150.  Mistake?  nah...

 

I liked the Sophia Princess 274b more.

post #29852 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
 

 

A few years ago I sold a Mullard GZ34 metal base for $150.  Mistake?  nah...

 

I liked the Sophia Princess 274b more.

I also like my S/P 274B, but not more, I like them both for what they are... different sounding in their own ways, and both have their strong points, so I enjoy them both.

From what I've read, a few years ago I don't think the metal base was as expensive then as it is now. And maybe its just that there getting harder to come buy these days being there so old, I don't know, but I do know I'm not paying that kind of money for one.

post #29853 of 31939
post #29854 of 31939

With the WooAudio WA 6 Special Edition, Miss Sophia showed promise but didn't always deliver. Next, the EML 5U4G brought forth details and dynamics previously hidden in Miss Sophia's dressing room. However, when the USAF-596 rectifier showed up for audition, it was over, Johnny! :tongue_smile:

 

Admittedly it's both circuit dependent; system synergy. But the Mighty 596 paired with the much storied TS-BGRP VT-231s was the best tube complement my Woo seen pumping the balanced D7000!

post #29855 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

With the WooAudio WA 6 Special Edition, Miss Sophia showed promise but didn't always deliver. Next, the EML 5U4G brought forth details and dynamics previously hidden in Miss Sophia's dressing room. However, when the USAF-596 rectifier showed up for audition, it was over, Johnny! :tongue_smile:

 

Admittedly it's both circuit dependent; system synergy. But the Mighty 596 paired with the much storied TS-BGRP VT-231s was the best tube complement my Woo seen pumping the balanced D7000!

I've never heard one, but I've heard it is called "the mighty 596". I don't even see any for sale!

post #29856 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I've never heard one, but I've heard it is called "the mighty 596". I don't even see any for sale!

:wink_face: Though, I can often be seen not heard, I'll speak up and confess: I'm the one gave it the moniker originally and hyped the glass. Due to scarcity and gouging we now have a few members trying to run me out of town! :normal_smile : (It won't work)

 

I still have a few in storage but not for sale. Perhaps a member will step forward and sale or loan you one of these recs.

post #29857 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

:wink_face: Though, I can often be seen not heard, I'll speak up and confess: I'm the one gave it the moniker originally and hyped the glass. Due to scarcity and gouging we now have a few members trying to run me out of town! :normal_smile : (It won't work)

 

I still have a few in storage but not for sale. Perhaps a member will step forward and sale or loan you one of these recs.

what would one of those tubes go for anyway?

post #29858 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

what would one of those tubes go for anyway?

I haven't kept up with the Market on those, sorry. Maybe you could check the last round of sales for them on ebay...actually a few members active in this thread would know and will respond in the morning.

post #29859 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

what would one of those tubes go for anyway?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716330/fs-usaf-596

post #29860 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716330/fs-usaf-596

Wow! That is crazy. I remember I bought my pairs for $40 each tube when we started with them.

post #29861 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

Wow! That is crazy. I remember I bought my pairs for $40 each tube when we started with them.

My first pair was $40.
post #29862 of 31939
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

I haven't kept up with the Market on those, sorry. Maybe you could check the last round of sales for them on ebay...actually a few members active in this thread would know and will respond in the morning.

Thank you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by punit View Post
 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716330/fs-usaf-596

Thanks for the link. I thought these were priced like some of the Metal Base GZ34's. By me this is a fair price too pay for a tube these days, being this is about what I paid for most of my rectifier tubes. Thanks again. 

post #29863 of 31939
Quote:
I'd need an adapter for my WA6 wouldn't I?
post #29864 of 31939
post #29865 of 31939
Thanks for the link punit. $23.00 is cheaper than what I would expect a dedicated Woo Audio 596 adapter to be.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite