Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1972

post #29566 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post

Just find a plastic base with the same insides as the metal base.  Normally they have DD getters.  They are a much better value.

Probably it is the placebo effect but to me the smoothest and slight bass extension on the metal base one that plastic base don't have.
post #29567 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by dminches View Post
 

 

Just find a plastic base with the same insides as the metal base.  Normally they have DD getters.  They are a much better value.

That is exactly what I ordered, thanks.

post #29568 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post
 

 

Jack don't offer these upgrade anymore and his upgrade parts is not as extensive.  The WA22 is modified personally pieces by pieces by Dannie01, it took him a while to gather all the parts.  This amp actually makes me hold back upgrading to WA5/LE for a long time and I missed it so much.  If my tea tin is not emptied recently with another big purchase and still have all the tubes I used to had, I will bring her right back.

This could make for a very romantic story with a wonderful ending... over tea no less. :wink:

post #29569 of 30983
Indeed it would be a very romantic ending, unfortunately I sold most of my prized single rectifiers and all three pairs of GEC 6AS7G. It will be too time consuming and pricy to get them all back.
post #29570 of 30983

 

Soooo, tried to order a GZ32 from Upscale yesterday. Woke up today to see this :( 

post #29571 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post

 

Soooo, tried to order a GZ32 from Upscale yesterday. Woke up today to see this :( 

 

That's certainly retarded.

post #29572 of 30983

That's messed up... sorry to hear about that! I was at Kevin's home a few months back - great host! Let my send you a PM to determine where on the planet you might be, if he actually has stock but won't ship it to your location and if I'm able to step in the middle.


Edited by Silent One - 3/7/14 at 10:04pm
post #29573 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I just purchased this tube for the WA6;

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151227004794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

 

I see 8 out of 10 were sold, has anyone on this forum purchased one, or has anyone heard this tube with the WA6, any impressions? Thanks

 

I had the metal base version, and it was nice and warm and tube'y sounding, but I really only liked it with my HD800 and Grados, and I had a better amp for those (ZDT) so I sold it for like $100.  The going price at the time turned out to be closer to $200. I still really like the Sophia Princess 274b for it's greater sense of space and soundstage.

post #29574 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
 

 

I had the metal base version, and it was nice and warm and tube'y sounding, but I really only liked it with my HD800 and Grados, and I had a better amp for those (ZDT) so I sold it for like $100.  The going price at the time turned out to be closer to $200. I still really like the Sophia Princess 274b for it's greater sense of space and soundstage.

This is supposed to be made right after the metal base and sound very similar. For $150.00 U.S. I figured I'll see how I like it. I also have the S/P-274B and a NEW Mullard 5V4G/GZ32 that I paid $45.00U.S. for, and it is a good sounding tube. I haven't put the S/P back in since I got the Mullard (about a week now), but tonight I'm going to put the S/P back in, I do believe I like the S/P better than the Mullard-5V4G/GZ32, it is much warmer and fuller sounding with no sibilance in the highs and a wider sound-stage/depth…but for the money, the NEW Mullard isn't bad at all! But I really can't wait to hear the 1950's Mullard-5AR4/GZ34 that I just ordered, I read a lot of good things about this tube, and people really seem too enjoy its sound, I hope I do.

Thanks for the input.


Edited by joseph69 - 3/8/14 at 6:33am
post #29575 of 30983

The 'Mullard' branded GZ34 / 5AR4 is actually a 'Made in Holland' Philips production tube, even though the E-Bay ad says it is UK production. The 'X' code is Dutch production with smooth plates, & double 'D' getters. It was the first version made after the metal base and side by side, the internals are identical. I own both but have not done an official A-B comparison.

 

Great tube for WAY less $$$ than the metal base version at any rate!

post #29576 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwavesailor View Post
 

The 'Mullard' branded GZ34 / 5AR4 is actually a 'Made in Holland' Philips production tube, even though the E-Bay ad says it is UK production. The 'X' code is Dutch production with smooth plates, & double 'D' getters. It was the first version made after the metal base and side by side, the internals are identical. I own both but have not done an official A-B comparison.

 

Great tube for WAY less $$$ than the metal base version at any rate!

Thank you for your knowledge on this tube, and I'm very glad to hear this, can't wait too receive it! Also what is the double D mean? And I please don't tell me breast size:normal_smile :.

Do you own the Sophia Princess 274B? If so, have you ever done a comparison?

Thanks

post #29577 of 30983
post #29578 of 30983

Here is a good history of the various Philips GZ34 / 5AR4:

 

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20GZ34/GZ34.htm

post #29579 of 30983
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwavesailor View Post
 

Hi Joseph,

 

Doube 'D' refers to the shape and quantity (2) of the getters mounted on the top of the tube:

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getter

 

No, I don't have a Sophia 274B rectifier for comparison.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwavesailor View Post
 

Here is a good history of the various Philips GZ34 / 5AR4:

 

http://www.tube-classics.de/TC/Tubes/Valvo%20GZ34/GZ34.htm

Thank you very much for the links you posted…going to do some reading, thanks again.

post #29580 of 30983

Glad to do it.................

 

I started down the tube 'rabbit hole' a few years ago and there's no going back!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite