- 5,939 Posts. Joined 2/2006
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohmstagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by Themorganlett85, 5/10/14
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- brandWooAudiotagged by System, 6/14/10
- productWoo Audio 2tagged by System, 12/4/11
- productWoo Audio WA22tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA3tagged by System, 3/29/12
- productWoo Audio WA5tagged by System, 4/2/11More
- productWoo Audio WA5 LEtagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA6tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 8/27/10
- productWooAudio WA7 Firefliestagged by AudioMan612, 5/26/15
- productWoo Audio WEE electrostatic energizertagged by System, 3/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD650 & Schiit Valhalla Setup? Last post on 9/18/11 at 1:18pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need an advice for setting up a closed, comfort, light weight full-size headphone set Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- SE (single-ended) Tube Amplifers Last post on 10/25/11 at 10:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I'm Woo-sey deciding which Woo to get................... Last post on 3/8/16 at 10:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
Thanks go to earphonia.com who were pleased to let me give the excellently valued Co-Donguri earphone a spin. Pairings Equipment Hidizs AP60 Chord Mojo Dac Intro My second IEM...
Kaiser Encore: Early impressions Please note: This review is posted only so I could share my (very) early impressions, as I know many are eager to hear about the latest Noble (co-) flagship....
Note: I have previously reviewed the K10 from Noble, where I covered much of Noble’s history and order process. For this reason, I will use some of the portions of that review that pertain to Noble...
Founded in 2014 in Guangzhou, China, Shinrico is a company focused on digital electronic products in the field of high-tech enterprises. Recently I reviewed their excellent D3S Digital...
For larger (1200x800) images, simply click any photoINTRODUCTIONAhhh – the portable amplifier – one of the audio enthusiast's more misunderstood tools / assets. For the beginner, there...
Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1956post #29326 of 390441/16/14 at 7:19pmWA22... I missed mine. You should try metal base GZ34 and GEC 6AS7G, it is the best combo I ever tried.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #29327 of 390441/16/14 at 7:24pmpost #29328 of 390441/16/14 at 7:26pm
^ I've been keeping an eye for gz34 metal base on ebay but the price is quite stiff. I wanna clearly internalize each tube combo first. :)
For HD800, I think I really like TS5998 + ken rad right now. I switch in 7236 for the HE500.post #29329 of 390441/16/14 at 7:31pmpost #29330 of 390441/16/14 at 7:32pmQuote:
I never tried the mouse ears.post #29331 of 390441/16/14 at 7:45pmQuote:
For me and to my ears, the difference is huge between ken rad vt231 and RCA grey glass/6SN7 GTA/B(GE, Raytheon, RCA...). I can for sure tell them apart from the ken rad vt231 even in blind tests. However, if they are same models, same grade driver tubes, I am not 100% how much of a difference I'll hear. Try it out with some cheaper VT231. Too much fun.post #29332 of 390441/16/14 at 7:49pmpost #29333 of 390441/16/14 at 7:53pmpost #29334 of 390441/16/14 at 10:32pmpost #29335 of 390441/17/14 at 3:04amQuote:I much prefer the 5998's over the 7236's with my HD800's. Not only are they more powerful but I find the bass to be fuller and better defined.Originally Posted by GrindingThud
Good is a relative term...as is upgrade. Other than how quiet the tubes are (ideally they should be silent), you won't hear significant differences across the 6080 tubes, with maybe exception of the bendix graphite plate types which many (including me) say have a better sound stage. What's good about the 7236 (and 5998) is it lowers output impedance of the amp and gets a little more thud into lower impedance phones. I think you have high impedance headphones (HD800?)...so I'll have to defer to someone with those to say if they prefer 7236, 5998, or 6080 for them.post #29336 of 390441/17/14 at 4:58amQuote:Originally Posted by Frank I
Dave I find it interesting that some tubes are completely quiet while other hum I was going to suggest trying a cheater plug in the outlet to see if that eliminates the humming issue and you may want to try that anyway. I am not familiar with using the 422A now would I know anyone even to recommend to get them from. I just changed the rectifier in the Wa 22 to the Princess 274B and using the sylvania 67n7GT tubes plus the upgraded tungol 7236 and it dead quiet and was with the stock tubes as well.
Weird one of your issue are with certain types of tubes other than rectifiers and also with rectifiers yet others are dead silent. I would try to see if you can use a cheater plug or power conditioner to see if that will help you eliminate the issue. Hum is usually the result of the tube and sometimes a low level hum can come from transformers as well but since you are getting quite response with certain tubes its telling me the tube are part of the issue or sometime using a cheater plug will help eliminate the hum.
Let me know if you try the cheater plug and see if that helps first.
I already use a pretty decent power conditioner but tried a cheater plug anyway with no change in the amount of hum. I guess I'll start looking for a replacement. I don't actually know why I'm being so anal about it. With the power switch set to the low position the hum is barely noticeable and doesn't affect the music at all. It's just that all my other rectifiers are dead quiet and I'd like a WE422a that is the same. Going forward, would it be reasonable to ask a seller to take back a tube if it hums? That is, does hum indicate a defective tube? Also, is there a list of tubes someplace of the NOS tubes Woo Audio has to sell? The pair of Sylvania 7236's that I bought from Jack were listed on the web site but I only knew about the USAF 596 that I bought from him because it was mentioned on this forum. Thanks.post #29337 of 390441/17/14 at 5:13am
Since the amp is only doing it with different types of tubes one would assume it is the tubes. Most tube sellers will replace if they are reputable but it could also be handy have a tube tester on hand. Many are on ebay and I picked up a Knight for 115.00 and it works well for basic test but check tube bases also make sure they are not loose and you ask.post #29338 of 390441/17/14 at 11:41amQuote:
any difference between the matal base and the brown base? it's much cheaper now for the brown base.post #29339 of 390441/17/14 at 11:42amQuote:
yes, the last 5-10%
The metal base is more dynamic and smoother than brown base one but you have to compare side by side to notice the difference.
Edited by jc9394 - 1/17/14 at 11:45ampost #29340 of 390441/17/14 at 1:05pmQuote:
i remember you liked it with the wa22. still like them with wa5le?
- Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 44 seconds ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 1 minute ago
- › Campfire Audio Vega (and Dorado and Lyra II) - Head-Fi TV 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Aune M1s Impressions & Discussion Thread (Aune's newest hi-res DAP... 2 minutes ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › Looking for Step up from AHD2000 3 minutes ago
- › The discovery thread.! New NiceHCK DZ7 1DD+6 BA iem impression by... 4 minutes ago
- › DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions 5 minutes ago
- › RHA CL750 by Takeanidea
- › Ocharaku Co-Donguri IEM by Takeanidea
- › Noble Audio Kaiser Encore by Sorensiim
- › Noble Audio Katana by cvbcbcmv
- › Shinrico E11 Portable Headphone Amplifier by crabdog
- › FiiO A5 Portable Headphone Amplifier by Brooko
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by HiFiChris
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Joeng Zeon
- › AKG K3003 by sanjeewasam
- › Sony MDRNC8/BLK Noise Canceling Headphone, Black by dalesky
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear