- 5,940 Posts. Joined 2/2006
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohmstagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by Themorganlett85, 5/10/14
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- brandWooAudiotagged by System, 6/14/10
- productWoo Audio 2tagged by System, 12/4/11
- productWoo Audio WA22tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA3tagged by System, 3/29/12
- productWoo Audio WA5tagged by System, 4/2/11More
- productWoo Audio WA5 LEtagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA6tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 8/27/10
- productWooAudio WA7 Firefliestagged by AudioMan612, 5/26/15
- productWoo Audio WEE electrostatic energizertagged by System, 3/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD650 & Schiit Valhalla Setup? Last post on 9/18/11 at 1:18pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need an advice for setting up a closed, comfort, light weight full-size headphone set Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- SE (single-ended) Tube Amplifers Last post on 10/25/11 at 10:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I'm Woo-sey deciding which Woo to get................... Last post on 3/8/16 at 10:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
Introduction I have owned these headphones for four years now. These were my first decent pair that I researched before buying. Before this I had just bought inexpensive headphones that happened...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we're going to be checking out a wireless Bluetooth speaker from Archeer, the A320. Archeer sells a pretty wide variety of products like cellphone cases, headphones,...
Introduction – Everyone knows earbuds, those cheap, tinny sounding throwaways included with almost every mp3 player. So then, it may come as a surprise that earbuds are making a comeback and not...
The Oriveti BASIC: A dark and inviting entry-level offering into higher level audio BASIC was provided to me free of charge in exchange for feedback and review -- I am in no way affiliated with...
Focal Utopia By: Dillan Archer Photographs by: Regan Hulvey Introduction I have spent the greater part of my evenings the last few days (and this morning) listening and...
Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1956post #29326 of 394251/16/14 at 7:19pmWA22... I missed mine. You should try metal base GZ34 and GEC 6AS7G, it is the best combo I ever tried.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #29327 of 394251/16/14 at 7:24pmpost #29328 of 394251/16/14 at 7:26pm
^ I've been keeping an eye for gz34 metal base on ebay but the price is quite stiff. I wanna clearly internalize each tube combo first. :)
For HD800, I think I really like TS5998 + ken rad right now. I switch in 7236 for the HE500.post #29329 of 394251/16/14 at 7:31pmpost #29330 of 394251/16/14 at 7:32pmQuote:
I never tried the mouse ears.post #29331 of 394251/16/14 at 7:45pmQuote:
For me and to my ears, the difference is huge between ken rad vt231 and RCA grey glass/6SN7 GTA/B(GE, Raytheon, RCA...). I can for sure tell them apart from the ken rad vt231 even in blind tests. However, if they are same models, same grade driver tubes, I am not 100% how much of a difference I'll hear. Try it out with some cheaper VT231. Too much fun.post #29332 of 394251/16/14 at 7:49pmpost #29333 of 394251/16/14 at 7:53pmpost #29334 of 394251/16/14 at 10:32pmpost #29335 of 394251/17/14 at 3:04amQuote:I much prefer the 5998's over the 7236's with my HD800's. Not only are they more powerful but I find the bass to be fuller and better defined.Originally Posted by GrindingThud
Good is a relative term...as is upgrade. Other than how quiet the tubes are (ideally they should be silent), you won't hear significant differences across the 6080 tubes, with maybe exception of the bendix graphite plate types which many (including me) say have a better sound stage. What's good about the 7236 (and 5998) is it lowers output impedance of the amp and gets a little more thud into lower impedance phones. I think you have high impedance headphones (HD800?)...so I'll have to defer to someone with those to say if they prefer 7236, 5998, or 6080 for them.post #29336 of 394251/17/14 at 4:58amQuote:Originally Posted by Frank I
Dave I find it interesting that some tubes are completely quiet while other hum I was going to suggest trying a cheater plug in the outlet to see if that eliminates the humming issue and you may want to try that anyway. I am not familiar with using the 422A now would I know anyone even to recommend to get them from. I just changed the rectifier in the Wa 22 to the Princess 274B and using the sylvania 67n7GT tubes plus the upgraded tungol 7236 and it dead quiet and was with the stock tubes as well.
Weird one of your issue are with certain types of tubes other than rectifiers and also with rectifiers yet others are dead silent. I would try to see if you can use a cheater plug or power conditioner to see if that will help you eliminate the issue. Hum is usually the result of the tube and sometimes a low level hum can come from transformers as well but since you are getting quite response with certain tubes its telling me the tube are part of the issue or sometime using a cheater plug will help eliminate the hum.
Let me know if you try the cheater plug and see if that helps first.
I already use a pretty decent power conditioner but tried a cheater plug anyway with no change in the amount of hum. I guess I'll start looking for a replacement. I don't actually know why I'm being so anal about it. With the power switch set to the low position the hum is barely noticeable and doesn't affect the music at all. It's just that all my other rectifiers are dead quiet and I'd like a WE422a that is the same. Going forward, would it be reasonable to ask a seller to take back a tube if it hums? That is, does hum indicate a defective tube? Also, is there a list of tubes someplace of the NOS tubes Woo Audio has to sell? The pair of Sylvania 7236's that I bought from Jack were listed on the web site but I only knew about the USAF 596 that I bought from him because it was mentioned on this forum. Thanks.post #29337 of 394251/17/14 at 5:13am
Since the amp is only doing it with different types of tubes one would assume it is the tubes. Most tube sellers will replace if they are reputable but it could also be handy have a tube tester on hand. Many are on ebay and I picked up a Knight for 115.00 and it works well for basic test but check tube bases also make sure they are not loose and you ask.post #29338 of 394251/17/14 at 11:41amQuote:
any difference between the matal base and the brown base? it's much cheaper now for the brown base.post #29339 of 394251/17/14 at 11:42amQuote:
yes, the last 5-10%
The metal base is more dynamic and smoother than brown base one but you have to compare side by side to notice the difference.
Edited by jc9394 - 1/17/14 at 11:45ampost #29340 of 394251/17/14 at 1:05pmQuote:
i remember you liked it with the wa22. still like them with wa5le?
- Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Denon AHD2000 help wanted service for new input jack 10 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX200 Firmware Modification Project 31 seconds ago
- › Echo Indigo 45 seconds ago
- › Headphone upgrade that pounds - upgrade from Philips X2 1 minute ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears X Effect Audio Giveaway // 2017 EMPIRE SPRING SALE 2 minutes ago
- › Meze 99 Classics Discussion + Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › NEW! Fostex TH610 Premium Reference Closed-Back Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K240 MKII Headphones by Napalmhardcore
- › ARCHEER 25W Bluetooth Home Speakers with Huge Bass and Superior... by B9Scrambler
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by ryanjsoo
- › ORIVETI BASIC - Whole Aluminium Body, High Fidelity, Cable... by ustinj
- › Focal Utopia by Dillan
- › Shure SRH840 by Russell Folland
- › Seahf Metal Housing In-Ear Earbuds Headphones Noise Cancelling... by Byran
- › Fostex TH500RP by bagwell359
- › FLC Technology FLC 8S by Hisoundfi
- › Meze 99 Classics by dany111777
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear