or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1932

post #28966 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Hi, I recently purchased the WA6 and it was as quit as could be for the first few days…then I noticed the amp was humming/buzzing, (not through the headphones, they are dead silent), so I let Woo know, and I was told it could be AC/RF interference. So last night when I turned it on I could hear it from 3 feet away and it was consistent the whole time it was on, about 2hrs. So tonight I took the amp out of my system and plugged it into 3 different AC outlets with nothing connected/near it, and it immediately started to hum/buzz, and it sounds like it is coming from the transformer on top. I don't believe this should be, does anyone have this issue with their WA6, or other Woo amps? Thanks.

BTW, I'm asking before I contact Woo again, I would just like to hear what other owners have experienced, like I said I don't believe this should be! 

 

My WA6 hummed just like yours when I first got it in 2009. I could hear it from a foot away. A friend suggested that I open the top of the transformer box and tighten the screw to the transformer and only if I knew what I was doing. So I didn't do anything. The hum got louder and softer depending on the rectifier I used. It still hums but I just ignore it. It doesn't bother me anymore after owning it for almost 4 years.

post #28967 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post
 

 

My WA6 hummed just like yours when I first got it in 2009. I could hear it from a foot away. A friend suggested that I open the top of the transformer box and tighten the screw to the transformer and only if I knew what I was doing. So I didn't do anything. The hum got louder and softer depending on the rectifier I used. It still hums but I just ignore it. It doesn't bother me anymore after owning it for almost 4 years.

Thank you, after I try it out in a different house all together, if the amp is still noisy I'll open the top cover  and see if the screws are loose, because this just should not be humming like this one is, maybe a slight hum, maybe, but not this loud, thanks .

post #28968 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Yes, only external noise, the headphones are dead silent.

Most of the suggestions you have received address electrical sources of noise which would be heard in the headphones. Clayton SF is on the right track for addressing a mechanical issue, which is what you have. Something, most likely the transformer, is vibrating causing a mechanically generated noise to be emitted.

post #28969 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

Thank you, after I try it out in a different house all together, if the amp is still noisy I'll open the top cover  and see if the screws are loose, because this just should not be humming like this one is, maybe a slight hum, maybe, but not this loud, thanks .


Almost all 50/60hz transformers have a slight hum. I don't think trying it in another house is going

to make a bit of difference. It is a issue with the power transformer.

post #28970 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbob View Post
 

Most of the suggestions you have received address electrical sources of noise which would be heard in the headphones. Clayton SF is on the right track for addressing a mechanical issue, which is what you have. Something, most likely the transformer, is vibrating causing a mechanically generated noise to be emitted.

I'm actually going to use the advise given to Clayton SF's advise and remove the transformer cover and see if the transformer itself is loose, thank you.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post
 


Almost all 50/60hz transformers have a slight hum. I don't think trying it in another house is going

to make a bit of difference. It is a issue with the power transformer.

Thanks for the info, I believe it is also the power transformer, thank you.

post #28971 of 39044

Please make sure you know what you're doing before opening up your amp.  I know it isn't a terribly difficult task, but there can be lethal voltages on transformers and caps can hold charge for a long time after you have unplugged the unit.  Just sayin'.

post #28972 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGuy View Post
 

Please make sure you know what you're doing before opening up your amp.  I know it isn't a terribly difficult task, but there can be lethal voltages on transformers and caps can hold charge for a long time after you have unplugged the unit.  Just sayin'.


Yes. Thanks for that warning, GalaxyGuy. That the reason that I didn't open my WA6. A bit of a chicken when it comes to electronics. I leave that to the experts.

post #28973 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGuy View Post
 

Please make sure you know what you're doing before opening up your amp.  I know it isn't a terribly difficult task, but there can be lethal voltages on transformers and caps can hold charge for a long time after you have unplugged the unit.  Just sayin'.

Thank you for your warning, I was an elevator repair/maintenance person for 18 years…believe me I've had my share of experience with being ZAPPED from the control boards when I was green, and it can be deadly, and it isn't too pleasant being ZAPPED either, LOL!!!

Anyway before I opened it, I was in contact with Jack from Woo, so I'm going to resolve this with him, I'm just waiting to hear back from him, thank again. 

post #28974 of 39044

My WA6 has always been dead quiet no matter where it sits or what it's plugged into.  It does sound like the power transformer could be loose.  Good luck!

post #28975 of 39044

Woo Audio Wa5 + Hifiman HE-6 = Luscious Goodness

 

Well after months of contemplation I finally picked up a pair of HE-6.  I strongly considered the HD800, and thought about waiting for one of next year's offerings  (AKG K812, Senn's next flagship, a new Hifiman, the Oppo PM1...). 

 

Before getting on to the sound, just a few observations on the decision making process especially as it relates to Head-fi.  I spent countless hours literally reading every post of every thread relating to these and other contenders.  I went through the same with other sites.  Sifting through the good, the bad, the hype and the truth was no small task.  That said, I do think in large part, the truth can be ferreted out on this site. 

 

I think what makes deciding on A vs. B difficult though is distinguishing between how a headphone is on the whole, and what really amount to small (however valid) criticisms.  At the level of the HE-6 and other high level headphones I have found the sound to be exceptional (LCD, Senn, Hifiman, BD T1, Denon 7000...).  Are some better than others? Clearly and generally their price seems to reflect this.  Different flavors?  Absolutely!  Some much more suited to certain situations?  100%, I love the Denon ADH7000 for movies, the T1 for all around extremely comfortable listening, and  now the HE-6 for really hearing the music really come alive. 

 

That said some of the critiques of headphones at this level seem to focus on one small but measurable flaw.  I feel that perhaps this overly clouds the decision making process, when in its absence you would clearly lean in one direction or the other.  In other words sometimes I feel like a glorious headphone gets tainted by some small critique.  Once however its listened to, the shortcomings may exist, but largely drop out of view (unless you have ears which are sensitive to treble spikes, or your amp isn't well matched to the load).  I think the criticisms of headphones are very important.  However, I think its equally important to develop an ability to put them in proper context.  Something I keep reminding myself of.

 

In short I guess what I'm trying to convey to those who find themselves similarly gripped when trying to decide between headphone A&B is - buy the one you are leaning towards and see if you like it.  If you've done your research on here, you probably have a pretty good answer in hand.  At the end of the day though nothing beats sitting down and listening. 

 

With that, thanks to all who make this site so rich with information. 

 

Now onto my impressions... Big picture, I love this headphone!!!

 

1) Can the Woo Audio WA5 drive the HE-6?  In my opinion absolutely 100% yes.  I'm running them out of the K1000 jack.  I'm barely turning the dial.  I'm hearing details in the music that have otherwise escaped me on recordings I've listened to for years.  I don't think there should be any doubt in any one's mind that this is the case. Could it be better?  My pocket book hopes not.  Lets put it this way, I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.   I can't speak for the WA5LE which does not have the K1000 jack.

2)  How is the sound?  Its early in the listening process now.  Top to bottom it feels smooth, detailed, neutral to slightly warm.  I can hear every little detail.  The headphone is quite fast, every note starts and stops within its designated space within the recording.  The layering is fantastic, I can hear cymbals, guitar strings and voices all in the same beat very distinctly.  Each instrument is easy to follow individually and as a group.  On jazz recordings its as if you are at the front table, the trumpet is in your ear ( in a good way) (Sonny Side Up).  On Dire Straits Love over Gold the same all held true.  You could hear the gravel in Mark's voice, fingers sliding down guitar strings between notes, cymbals sounded right, drums good...  The tonality of instruments is very good, saxaphones take on the right shape (Dodo Green, My Hour of Need).  Voices are round and open.  Base strings, voice and piano play well together - clear distinctive notes, right tone, speed, dynamics, very very clean (Armstrong & Ellington - The Great Summit).  Very very enjoyable sound.

3) Comfort.  At first felt a little tight, but head adjusted quickly.  I'm conscious its on my head though.  Whereas the T1 dissappears and the DH7000 pretty much float on your head.  The sound quality outweighs the comfort issues.  That said, I can see myself reaching for the T1s if I'm just in for a comfortable ride.  I'm not sure I could wear these for 8hrs a day.  With the T1s I could. 

4) Open Questions - How much difference would the HD800 sound stage make to me??? Trade offs...

5) Small nags - The stock cord if you are just running XLR is quite short.  Hifiman and others offer longer cords but at a steep price. An option of a longer XLR cord at initial purchase, or a slightly longer cord would be nice.  (You get a couple extra feet if you are running 1/4 inch). 

 

Thx all - peace and good listening...

post #28976 of 39044

^gratz! you got a killer combo there.  Enjoy your music.

post #28977 of 39044
Just ordered the Wa6se in black directly from Woo Audio Website. So excited. Now i am shopping for the headphone. Now I am a 5 years old waiting for my Christmas presents.
post #28978 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangcaonguyen View Post

Just ordered the Wa6se in black directly from Woo Audio Website. So excited. Now i am shopping for the headphone. Now I am a 5 years old waiting for my Christmas presents.

HE-500 :D or the AD or HD800 ...Abundant choices.  Your amp will come fast.

post #28979 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead View Post
 

My WA6 has always been dead quiet no matter where it sits or what it's plugged into.  It does sound like the power transformer could be loose.  Good luck!

I'm between e-mails with Jack about this, and he did say someone else was having the same issue, unfortunately I my send it back to him, I just can't win lately with my amp purchases, LOL!!!

 BTW, is anyone using SAFARI having quitting issues when replying/quoting to Head-Fi? 

post #28980 of 39044
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post
 

I'm between e-mails with Jack about this, and he did say someone else was having the same issue, unfortunately I my send it back to him, I just can't win lately with my amp purchases, LOL!!!

 BTW, is anyone using SAFARI having quitting issues when replying/quoting to Head-Fi? 

SAFARI? Mac?  I did have some problem with quoting yesterday.  It's all good today though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite