Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1931

post #28951 of 31941
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dangcaonguyen View Post

 

Hi,



I am new here. I am ready to buy the WA6SE in black. Since headphone is new to me, I would like to have some questions for the experience owners:



1. Do I need a preamp with the WA6se?



2. Can I use it with the Audeze LCD-2?



3. If I dont need a preamp, then how many inputs does the WA6se have? I need to run it both with LPs and CDs.



4. What headphone is the best match with the WA6SE?



Thanks,



Calvin





1 - no

2 - yes



3 - not too sure i think 2

4 - some people really like lcd2 actually but with the right tubes i presume hd800 t1 and lots of others like grado would sound great. 


Edited by magiccabbage - 12/11/13 at 7:15pm
post #28952 of 31941

Hi, I recently purchased the WA6 and it was as quit as could be for the first few days…then I noticed the amp was humming/buzzing, (not through the headphones, they are dead silent), so I let Woo know, and I was told it could be AC/RF interference. So last night when I turned it on I could hear it from 3 feet away and it was consistent the whole time it was on, about 2hrs. So tonight I took the amp out of my system and plugged it into 3 different AC outlets with nothing connected/near it, and it immediately started to hum/buzz, and it sounds like it is coming from the transformer on top. I don't believe this should be, does anyone have this issue with their WA6, or other Woo amps? Thanks.

BTW, I'm asking before I contact Woo again, I would just like to hear what other owners have experienced, like I said I don't believe this should be! 

post #28953 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by magiccabbage View Post
 
Quote:
 
Originally Posted by Dangcaonguyen View Post

 

Hi,


I am new here. I am ready to buy the WA6SE in black. Since headphone is new to me, I would like to have some questions for the experience owners:


1. Do I need a preamp with the WA6se?


2. Can I use it with the Audeze LCD-2?


3. If I dont need a preamp, then how many inputs does the WA6se have? I need to run it both with LPs and CDs.


4. What headphone is the best match with the WA6SE?


Thanks,


Calvin


1 - no


2 - yes


3 - not too sure i think 2


4 - some people really like lcd2 actually but with the right tubes i presume hd800 t1 and lots of others like grado would sound great.

Thanks,

HD800 is over my budget now. What do you think of between HD600 or HD650? which is better?

post #28954 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Hi, I recently purchased the WA6 and it was as quit as could be for the first few days…then I noticed the amp was humming/buzzing, (not through the headphones, they are dead silent), so I let Woo know, and I was told it could be AC/RF interference. So last night when I turned it on I could hear it from 3 feet away and it was consistent the whole time it was on, about 2hrs. So tonight I took the amp out of my system and plugged it into 3 different AC outlets with nothing connected/near it, and it immediately started to hum/buzz, and it sounds like it is coming from the transformer on top. I don't believe this should be, does anyone have this issue with their WA6, or other Woo amps? Thanks.
BTW, I'm asking before I contact Woo again, I would just like to hear what other owners have experienced, like I said I don't believe this should be! 

Do you have a dimmer?
post #28955 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangcaonguyen View Post

Thanks,
HD800 is over my budget now. What do you think of between HD600 or HD650? which is better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangcaonguyen View Post

Thanks,
HD800 is over my budget now. What do you think of between HD600 or HD650? which is better?

HD650 is bass heavy, I personally prefer HD600.
post #28956 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post



HD650 is bass heavy, I personally prefer HD600.

Thank you,

Now I have the WA6SE in black and the HD600. You mentioned about the tubes, can you reccomend which tubes should I try on the amp. I listen mostly to Jazz and Classical and Vocal.

post #28957 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post
 

Do you have a dimmer?

+1   And GFI outlets?

post #28958 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post


Do you have a dimmer?

Do you mean a light dimmer switch, if so, yes, but those lights are never on, and I moved the amp to 3 different AC outlets/rooms disconnected from any other components, and it does the same thing, and this only started happening after 2 days of use, otherwise when I first received it the amp was dead silent., now I hear it from 3 feet away. What about the dimmer switch?

post #28959 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post
 

+1   And GFI outlets?

No it is not on a GFI. 

I have it plugged into an AC line enhancer (Adcom ACE-515), but it does this in any outlet, in any room disconnected from all components.


Edited by joseph69 - 12/11/13 at 8:08pm
post #28960 of 31941

To eliminate to possibility of EMI/RFI, I'd take the amp to another building (home, office, library ect) and see if the hum varies or disappears. I also wouldn't rule out the transformer itself humming, but only after changing the AC and environment.

post #28961 of 31941

Thank you for the suggestion, That was going to be my next move.

Am I correct, this should not be making any noise at all, right? Thanks.

post #28962 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph69 View Post

Thank you for the suggestion, That was going to be my next move.
Am I correct, this should not be making any noise at all, right? Thanks.
Basic question. Is the noise heard in the headphones or is it mechanical in origin from the amp chassis rather than the headphones?
post #28963 of 31941
He mentioned the noise being external; not through cans, and can hear it up to 3 feet away.
post #28964 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicbob View Post


Basic question. Is the noise heard in the headphones or is it mechanical in origin from the amp chassis rather than the headphones?

Yes, only external noise, the headphones are dead silent.

post #28965 of 31941
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangcaonguyen View Post

Thank you,
Now I have the WA6SE in black and the HD600. You mentioned about the tubes, can you reccomend which tubes should I try on the amp. I listen mostly to Jazz and Classical and Vocal.

6FD7 and Mullard GZ34 (metal base if you can afford it)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite