or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1917

post #28741 of 39043

I just got a WA22 last week and it pairs really well with the HD800 so far, even with just the stock tubes.  What would be the best first upgrade for it, balanced cables (already balanced to the amp) or tube upgrades?

post #28742 of 39043
Tube upgrade, there are huge difference between stock and upgrade tubes.
post #28743 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by EluamousNailo View Post
 

I just got a WA22 last week and it pairs really well with the HD800 so far, even with just the stock tubes.  What would be the best first upgrade for it, balanced cables (already balanced to the amp) or tube upgrades?

I am happy so far with sophia tube and TS7236 for power.  I am tryin out different 6SN7 to see what fits my taste the most.  Ratheon 6SN7 GTB, RCA, GE, ...

I've been watching ebay for 422A and maybe a Mullard GZ37.  No luck so far and I didn't want to push the bid too high either.  No rush.  As is now, the WA22 is already wonderful at driving dynamic headphones such as HD800 and my Akg Q701.  My HE500 sounds great on WA22 but not exceptional yet.  I still prefer HE500 on speaker amps.

post #28744 of 39043

By the way, the Hand-pick matched pair Sylvania 6SN7GT NOS tubes sold by Jack @ Woo are the brown base 6SN7WGT ones, right?  or are they VT231?   Thx.

post #28745 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post
 

By the way, the Hand-pick matched pair Sylvania 6SN7GT NOS tubes sold by Jack @ Woo are the brown base 6SN7WGT ones, right?  or are they VT231?   Thx.

 

Yes, brown base, 6SN7WGT.  Great tubes.  Best driver I've heard in the WA5LE.

post #28746 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosperone View Post
 

Woo Wa5 - headphone advice HE6 vs HD800??

 

Hello all,

 

Hoping to get some advice on purchase of HE6 vs. HD800.  I will be driving with Woo WA5.  I currently have T1 and Denon7000. I enjoy both in different contexts.  I listen to everything (rock, jazz, reggae, classical, female vocals, acoustic guitar, well mastered recordings and some not so much...).  I have listened to both the HE6 and HD800 but not out of the WA5. I enjoyed them both but was drawn a little to the HE6.  I did appreciate the detail and clarity of the HD800.   That said I haven't put in hours with these headphones so I don't really know.

Based on research thus far and listening I am leaning towards the HE6.  Seems like I get a flavor of the HD800 from the T1.  The HE6 would add something new to the stable.  

 

Decision factors: 

1) trying to find sound which is superior to what I already have in some way.  I realize this is subjective. So I guess I'm looking for peoples' impressions as to why they enjoy the HE6 or HD800 more with the WA5 (Or should I stick with the T1 and call it a day)

2) How do you find the synergy with the WA5?    

3) Any concerns about long sessions with either phone?

4) Has the HE6 or HD800 become your primary if not exclusive headphone.

5) Do you find yourself listening to HE6 or HD800 more than one another?

 

Thanks very much!

 

I agree with Frank's response. Here are my two cents since I own both (HD800 and HE) but not a WA5 but a WA5-LE. 

 

1) If I want to listen into the detail of the recording and have a bigger soundstage with excellent simulation of listening to a speakers system I gab the HD800. I am running the HE-6 out a a Threshold T50 and to me they sound more musical than than the HD800 but sacrifice some soundstage size.

 

2) The synergy of the HD800 with my WA5-LE is excellent and even the HE-6 out of the High Impedance output sounds pretty good.

so I just imagine how good they shoudl sounf out of the K1K output of the WA5.

 

3) The HD800 are clearly more comfortable than the HE-6 for longer session due to the difference in weight.

4) I rotate between the HE-6, HD800, W3000ANV and SR-009. The T1 gets less time.

5) I would say I listen to the SR-009 the most and then the HE-6 and HD800 in a close second.

post #28747 of 39043

Thanks MusicMan,

Very helpful.  Especially hearing that you listen to both the 009 and the HE6.  I had wondered about either adding a WEE to the WA5 or moving towards a dedicated 009 setup and selling the rest.  Lots to think about.  I think I'm at the point where I may need to get some longer term listening in on both. Much appreciated!

post #28748 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosperone View Post
 

Thanks MusicMan,

Very helpful.  Especially hearing that you listen to both the 009 and the HE6.  I had wondered about either adding a WEE to the WA5 or moving towards a dedicated 009 setup and selling the rest.  Lots to think about.  I think I'm at the point where I may need to get some longer term listening in on both. Much appreciated!

I am listening to the SR-009 with a 727 MkII right now but my objective is to buy a RSA A-10 Thunderbolt for them. So far that's the combo I have liked the best. The one intriguing me is the Liquid Lightning Hybrid prototype I heard at RMAF. My listening time was limited but it sounded very promising. Hopefully Alex brings it into production.

post #28749 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post
 

I am listening to the SR-009 with a 727 MkII right now but my objective is to buy a RSA A-10 Thunderbolt for them. So far that's the combo I have liked the best. The one intriguing me is the Liquid Lightning Hybrid prototype I heard at RMAF. My listening time was limited but it sounded very promising. Hopefully Alex brings it into production.


I like Ray's stuff a lot, and its nice that it is from a smaller shop.  I try to support smaller operations when the quality and value curves cross nicely with my needs.  Ray's products consistently seem to do this.  I'll try and check out the LLH.

post #28750 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

I am happy so far with sophia tube and TS7236 for power.  I am tryin out different 6SN7 to see what fits my taste the most.  Ratheon 6SN7 GTB, RCA, GE, ...
I've been watching ebay for 422A and maybe a Mullard GZ37.  No luck so far and I didn't want to push the bid too high either.  No rush.  As is now, the WA22 is already wonderful at driving dynamic headphones such as HD800 and my Akg Q701.  My HE500 sounds great on WA22 but not exceptional yet.  I still prefer HE500 on speaker amps.

We422a sounds way better than any other rectifier i tried on wa22. Only the mullard gz34 metal base came close.

I did not like mullard gz37, the older cossor gz37 is nice though...
post #28751 of 39043

 T


Edited by Frank I - 11/12/13 at 3:38pm
post #28752 of 39043

Intriguing appearing beasties.

post #28753 of 39043

Who wants to give me 16k... (knowing I will never repay you back)? :P

post #28754 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhh View Post
 

Who wants to give me 16k... (knowing I will never repay you back)? :P


i want to, sure.

being able to, though ;)

post #28755 of 39043
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

 

the WA2 is amazing but mostly suited for 150 ohms + headphones (hd 600, 650, 700, 800), 600 ohm beyers, t90, t1, etc...


Yep. It's great that it isn't good at driving those alpha dogs:D I would have to buy another amp for that reason and that is just too bothersome. Plus, I don't have anymore space on my kitchen table after amp, dac, tubes, headphones and piles of cd's:D

 

I joined up on indiegogo geek pulse train. That should have enough power to drive alpha dogs, but expected delivery date is in april. I don't mind the wait, it's a good way to slow down the shoppingspree:D

 

And gotta say, those monoblocks look just pure sex. Classy sex:D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite