Recent Images In This Thread
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by Themorganlett85, 5/10/14
- brandWooAudiotagged by System, 6/14/10
- productWoo Audio 2tagged by System, 12/4/11
- productWoo Audio WA22tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA3tagged by System, 3/29/12
- productWoo Audio WA5tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA5 LEtagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA6tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 8/27/10
- productWoo Audio WEE electrostatic energizertagged by System, 3/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SE (single-ended) Tube Amplifers Last post on 10/25/11 at 10:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I'm Woo-sey deciding which Woo to get................... Last post on 10/1/10 at 6:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 7/17/14 at 1:10am in High-end Audio Forum
- Need an advice for setting up a closed, comfort, light weight full-size headphone set Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:29am in Headphones (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 7/10/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1912
Gear mentioned in this thread:
The left tube looks normal. I have had tubes that glowed blue as well. This is a good read about the blue glow: http://www.thetubestore.com/Resources/Matching-and-other-tube-info/Blue-Glow
In the beginning, I playfully and affectionately dubbed the USAF-596 "Mighty" because it's the High-Altitude version of the 1641/RK60 tubes.
Should be the same on both sides, as far as I know. Maybe it does not matter? Here is mine.
Edited by Redcarmoose - 11/4/13 at 8:45pm
NOS tubes will last very long time, if you don't roll tubes as much you can get two set of the very best tubes and they will last longer than the amp. Not saying WA5LE will not last you forever.
NOS, I personally prefer EML 5U4G and 300B mesh over regular Sophia's offering. I have not tried the Carbon Princess yet. It is the sound signature, details, and soundstage, the EML just do everything better.
The only current production 6SN7 I tried is the Shuggies CV181Z and I like them but just not as much as NOS' offering.
Hope this helps
Couldn't agree more.
I had the Shuguang 300B + 5U4G combo. Definitely entry level compared to the EML 300B + EML 5U4G Mesh combo.
I have a pair of Mighty 596's. I've tried them for stretches of time, but they don't bring the bass the way the EMLs do. They do outshine the EMLs on clarity.
I've had the PSVane 181 drivers, nice, but unremarkable (they fit by the width of an index card). I drift back to the Sylvania 6SN7 brown base every time. The Sylvanias just sound more robust. The PSVanes don't sound bad-- just not as good as the Sylvania.
Edited by reeltime - 11/5/13 at 12:05am
Hello All, my WA2 just shipped out today! WooHoo! I've also ordered the Tung Sol 7236 power and Mullard rectifier upgrades (I'll likely be using what I have for the drivers-- Western Electric or Phillips). Looking forward to it...
wait till you hear hd800 and t1 on the WA2. Its amazing stuff.
jack wu still offers mullard rectifiers?
what drivers btw? i didn't know western electric made drivers for WA2... u sure u don't mean general electric or some other company?
His stock seems to vary on a regular basis...Er sorry, I meant the Westinghouse. (I can't spring for the more expensive Amperex he has right now). As a relative tube newbie, I'm still trying to keep all these straight.
oh i would of gone for the RFT EZ80 online, they're like $25 and some of the best rectifiers. as for drivers, any of the amperex are good. the orange globes, the bugle boys, and if you got the money, the PQ whites.
Welcome to the club! I'm enjoying mine...
- Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Moon Audio Ambassadors Program! 4 seconds ago
- › Looking for a <100$ headphones *Looks like beats solo hd* 19 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX100:24 bit for bit, PG 1> Reviews & Impressions,... 34 seconds ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog Revealed! - The World's First Production... 41 seconds ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 42 seconds ago
- › DGS100 Appreciation thread. The game changing budget-fi two-way... 46 seconds ago
- › Large and soft open circumaural headphones? 1 minute ago
- › Looking for Amplifier or Receiver To Improve Streamed Music from PS3 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X1, the new start of the high-res DAP with individual DAC and... 2 minutes ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 2 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M9-BK Hi-Fi Sound-Isolating Earphones (Black) by lin0003
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by twister6
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by Michaelc136
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Kamakahah
- › Comply Custom Wraps by ClieOS
- › Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones by twister6
- › FiiO E17 by DwightLooi
- › FIDUE A81 In-Ear Noise Isolating Earphones Heaphones with High-End... by Brooko
- › Audeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphones by monitorlove
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by ballbarn
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)