Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1900

post #28486 of 31643
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4music View Post
 

There is not really a technical advantage at all, it ultimately is just cheaper (cost/ real-estate) because your not using two transformers/ dual taps etc.  I agree with Glenn on this one, series heaters although used in earlier designs is NOT the best way to run heaters.

Cheaper (cost/real estate) is not good. Especially when an amp starts to blow out expensive rectifiers because of that. Glenn is good at spotting ways to improve amp schematics. When I sent him one of my commercial amps in for mods (not a Woo) he discovered several errors in the wiring and fixed it. I really trust Glenn's expertise in understanding amp designs be it his or others. The proof has always been in the pudding; his amps sound great.


Edited by Clayton SF - 10/27/13 at 12:40pm
post #28487 of 31643

Jack cannot see the problem with EML glass after revision. I have asked him twice.

post #28488 of 31643

Would a single rectifier be a better choice then?  Why the two rectifiers?

post #28489 of 31643
Well, let's let the 2 designers/builders duke it out and take it elsewhere. This is a woo appreciation thread. When I m ready to upgrade from the wa22, both will be on my list to consider but I personallly just dislike car salesman like picking at other products.
post #28490 of 31643
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

I personallly just dislike car salesman like picking at other products.

Agreed.

 

I hope everyone understands my questions are out of curiosity, not as an attempt to fan the flames.

 

I have, and enjoy, a WA-5.  I have been curious as to why there are two rectifiers.

post #28491 of 31643
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiloco View Post

Well, let's let the 2 designers/builders duke it out and take it elsewhere. This is a woo appreciation thread. When I m ready to upgrade from the wa22, both will be on my list to consider but I personallly just dislike car salesman like picking at other products.

You probably kind of new here, we discuss and welcome almost all topics as long as no personal attacks.
post #28492 of 31643

Is that the thread's custom?  If so, go right ahead.  I found that in other appreciation threads, people don't seem to like it.  I don't mind as long as both sides keep it the way it should be.  Either way, it's kind of hard not to take things personal (from Woo's point of view, not mine) when reading negative things being said by another designer/builder about the double rectifier design in the WA5/LE.  Yes, it might just be one person view point but no doubt it will cast doubt on people who are potentially looking into WA5/LE as the next upgrade including myself.  Pure technical debate?  Sure, if you say so. Personal gain from bringing up such point?  why not.  I am just stating what I see and take from the post.  No more no less...

post #28493 of 31643
I knew about the issue and still buy a WA5LE. I rather know about it than not know about it.

The reason this thread is so sucessful is we are a brunch of friendly woo owner or not woo owner.
post #28494 of 31643
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

I knew about the issue and still buy a WA5LE. I rather know about it than not know about it.

The reason this thread is so sucessful is we are a brunch of friendly woo owner or not woo owner.

Good enough for me.  Btw, what is your experience about the double rectifier on the WA5LE?  Any issues?  The reason I ask is because I might consider going the WA5LE route.  I find the WA22 great for dynamic HPs but not quite there for my HE500 though I am happy with the sound quality I am getting.  For only a few hundred $, if the WA5LE can drive the HE500 a touch better, I am willing to invest.

I enjoy tube-rolling awhile back with pro-audio stuffs but honestly don't want to get back too much into that expensive habit.  :)  I will try the WA22 with some recommended tubes to see if I can get the sound I am after.  Then, I will decide.


Edited by koiloco - 10/27/13 at 5:14pm
post #28495 of 31643
did u try 7236 power tubes on high gain, enough for he-500
post #28496 of 31643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

did u try 7236 power tubes on high gain, enough for he-500

I  have 7236 in now but haven't listened extensively on "high" imp. setting. (that's what you refer to, right?); always been on low.  Let me try now and see.  I am talking about a very touch less in bass then what I am used to.  On my Q701 however, I find it very balanced.

post #28497 of 31643
its also higher gain. u will get more power. it will work then
post #28498 of 31643

^  Got it.  Thx vm.  I just tried it.  On high imp. settin, there's indeed an increase in the low range but it also changes the overall sound and makes it a touch less relaxing to my ears.  A trade-off, I guess.

post #28499 of 31643

should be a little fuller sounding actually, though maybe the amp isn''t fully burned in, you just got it recently, right?

 

also what other tubes are you running?

post #28500 of 31643
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post
 

should be a little fuller sounding actually, though maybe the amp isn''t fully burned in, you just got it recently, right?

 

also what other tubes are you running?

Today, it is 5 day old.  :)

Sophia princess rectifier, 7236 upgrade tubes from Jack.  The drivers are still stock.  I am looking for some good driver tubes to get a fuller bottom end and maybe a touch more air in the mid.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite