- 5,940 Posts. Joined 2/2006
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K701 Studio Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- productBeyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohmstagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- productGrado Statement Series GS1000i Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by Themorganlett85, 5/10/14
- productSennheiser HD 650 Headphonestagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- brandWooAudiotagged by System, 6/14/10
- productWoo Audio 2tagged by System, 12/4/11
- productWoo Audio WA22tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA3tagged by System, 3/29/12
- productWoo Audio WA5tagged by System, 4/2/11More
- productWoo Audio WA5 LEtagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA6tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 8/27/10
- productWooAudio WA7 Firefliestagged by AudioMan612, 5/26/15
- productWoo Audio WEE electrostatic energizertagged by System, 3/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sennheiser HD650 & Schiit Valhalla Setup? Last post on 9/18/11 at 1:18pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Need an advice for setting up a closed, comfort, light weight full-size headphone set Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:29am in Headphones (full-size)
- SE (single-ended) Tube Amplifers Last post on 10/25/11 at 10:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I'm Woo-sey deciding which Woo to get................... Last post on 3/8/16 at 10:20pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Woo Audio: FAQ and Product Troubleshoot
Last edited: 6/17/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
FiiO x5iii Many times, there is trepidation when you sign up for a possible tour review, at least for me. Your hope is to not only be chosen, but to give an open honest review, under the...
I would like to thank Gibson Innovations for the opportunity to review the H900M. Above: H900M top, A800 below Above: H900M Before I begin,...
Yet again (with several more to soon follow), I find myself owing a great deal of thanks (and at this point...
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1867post #27991 of 3928610/11/13 at 2:39pmNot sure if the source plays a role here, when I compare the WA22 with beta22, there are more bass with the WA22. One thing I also noticed is the WA22 response better with loseless than MP3 format.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #27992 of 3928610/11/13 at 2:54pmpost #27993 of 3928610/11/13 at 3:06pmpost #27994 of 3928610/11/13 at 3:35pmQuote:
I just thought I'd share this with all of you--
On January 30, 2010 I emailed Jack and asked him the following question before I placed my order for a WA2:
What impact does
- Black Gate output coupling capacitors, 220u/100v
- Black Gate voltage filtering capacitors, Power Tank 220uf/200V
have on WA2?; do you offer other capacitors other than Black Gates; and
can I use EZ81 rectifier as well as EZ80?On Feb 1, 2010, at 12:00 PM, Woo Audio wrote:As some of you know, I did get the Black Gate upgrades and this is the same WA2 that Ultra- sold to Mihis for me.Croatia1, Belgium 2Congratulations, Belgium, for reaching World Cup Finals.
Edited by Clayton SF - 10/11/13 at 3:40pmpost #27995 of 3928610/11/13 at 4:00pm^ If the BG caps are "fast recovery" which might lead to tighter bass, this can in effect be felt as less bass quantity, ie "less bass"
I think caps alter the sound signature, and often the sound signature is more important than technical performance. Which might in part explain why Ultra and DG differ on the wa2, and DG and I differ on the wa22.
Edited by ardilla - 10/11/13 at 4:05pmpost #27996 of 3928610/11/13 at 4:09pmQuote:
Then would a "tighter bass" (probably what the sound engineer had intended to reproduce) be preferable over "more bass" (a personal preference)?post #27997 of 3928610/11/13 at 4:11pmQuote:Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl
maybe so, but it still had some issues.
mostly cause of the amperex bugle boys or amperex holland a frames, those are still mid/entry lvl amperex. the bugle boys where a little on the lush side at times, the a frames a little too much on treble at times, but close to perfect, if i finished maxing out my tubes, with Amperex PQ whites or the rare and expensive Amperex 6922 pinched waist d-getter, might be even better. also i never got to tube roll any siemens tubes.
the rectifiers on WA2 i think i had right, but i wanted to try and find some genalex U709, rare version of the EZ80/EZ81. then it'd be perfect!
i think the WA22 can get better with different tubes, perhaps with the western electric or GEC rectifiers, but i don't think the bass will be to my liking, it definitely focuses more on the midrange, detail, and has a sort of warmth to it, while being dynamic and full. i think its tubier than WA2. rather than silky smooth and laid back yet musical and punchy, the WA22 has more of a magic tube like midrange, spacious, airy, warm, lush, and full. but it seems a little colored to me at times, a little too much. and there is more treble on WA22 than WA2, but its also warmer at times. and the bass is softer like some tube amps.
maybe the 6sn7 sound isn't for me
I'm just putting in my Amperex (Holland) 6922 PQ whites, replacing my Amperex (Holland) 6922 whites in the WA 2. I'll let you know of the change in sound (Brimar EZ80=>TS 5998=>Amperex (Holland) 6922 PQ whites with HD 800.)post #27998 of 3928610/11/13 at 4:18pmQuote:
Yup, thats the question. I know I often prefer technically inferior sound because I just like it. Bass bloom, slightly congested mids, spiced up highs, all depending..post #27999 of 3928610/11/13 at 4:35pmQuote:
Just like my food. ;)post #28000 of 3928610/11/13 at 4:39pmQuote:
In my opinion, yes! Over time, I believe a critical listener would acclimate to a purer sound and be more satisfied with the listening experience overall. YEDMV (your eardrums may vary)post #28001 of 3928610/11/13 at 5:16pmQuote:
Some critical listeners own high end gear and still enjoys less perfection due to enjoyable sound signatures. I for one, enjoy the variation of my headphone harem. Same way I can enjoy Michelin Star restaurants and Burger King, to make another metaphor....post #28002 of 3928610/11/13 at 5:27pm
Just purchased a pair of Shuguang 300bc's for my WA5, and a pair of "Preferred Series" 247's for the rectifiers (although I am not expecting a major change with the 247's). I'll let ya'll know if they are any good, as I have not seen anyone rate these tubes yet. I was gonna buy the Psvane cv181's, but i decided to see how these work out first, currently using the GE 6sn7's NOS stock tubes. Also just put in an order for a pair of Audeze LCD-2's. An expensive day indeed!
Edited by regular.guy - 10/11/13 at 5:34pmpost #28003 of 3928610/11/13 at 5:57pmQuote:
Hear, hear (no pun intended--okay, maybe). Me too. When I was in Amsterdam last August, I enjoyed a Michelin Star restaurant and meals at Febo. I the love the variety that life offers us.post #28004 of 3928610/11/13 at 6:07pmQuote:
Agreed! We experience more enjoyable distortions than we realize.post #28005 of 3928610/11/13 at 6:10pm
- Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid) 17 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX80 Bug Thread - Post Any Firmware Bugs/Issues Here 42 seconds ago
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 1 minute ago
- › The Nameless Guide To PC Gaming Audio (with binaural headphone... 1 minute ago
- › Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC 1 minute ago
- › HE560 old version (screw on connectors) with q audio balanced cable... 1 minute ago
- › Trinity Audio Q & A 2 minutes ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar... 5 minutes ago
- › DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ngoshawk
- › Onkyo Over Ear Headphone (H900MB/27) by Sonic Defender
- › Audio-technica AIR Dynamic Headphones Ath-ad1000x by Army-Firedawg
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear