Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1672

post #25066 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post


If you like the HD800, there is no amp better than the WA5. At least for all the amps I listened HD800 with.

 

confused_face.gif

 

i would still feel silly using stock tubes, a DLIII with v link, and not having a proper table/rack for a 70lb amp. if i had the funds for an endgame setup, it'd be a no brainer. WA5 maxed with double mighty 596's, and a PWD or M51

 

But...wink_face.gif you're so close. If I'm not mistaken, you already have the HD800 inside the room. And shedding your current gears (everything tongue_smile.gifmust go!) could put you that much closer to your endgame setup. I'd focus on getting the Woo because many amp designs, especially tube designs, won't change too often but DACs will. Soon as you buy one and plug that sucka in, someone on Head-Fi will be sharing a link about the next hot DAC coming down the line. rolleyes.gif

 

Then when funds permit, get a really good-to-great source!

post #25067 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post


If you like the HD800, there is no amp better than the WA5. At least for all the amps I listened HD800 with.

Totally agree. My T1 and HD800 both with Zeus cable sound amazing with my upgraded WA5-LE.

post #25068 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post


If you like the HD800, there is no amp better than the WA5. At least for all the amps I listened HD800 with.

Totally agree. My T1 and HD800 both with Zeus cable sound amazing with my upgraded WA5-LE.

 

Curiously, have you listened to your Woo with the M1? I'd like to wink_face.gif learn more...

post #25069 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

Totally agree. My T1 and HD800 both with Zeus cable sound amazing with my upgraded WA5-LE.

I use the Q and Silver Dragon, they both sound really really good with slight preference with Silver Dragon.
post #25070 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

confused_face.gif

i would still feel silly using stock tubes, a DLIII with v link, and not having a proper table/rack for a 70lb amp. if i had the funds for an endgame setup, it'd be a no brainer. WA5 maxed with double mighty 596's, and a PWD or M51

Never tried M51, but it sing with PWD MKII. I would save the money from the upgrade parts for the EML 300B and TS BGRP.

If I did not spent all my toy budget this year, I will ordered one already. Any one want a SWA built beta22??? Maybe even a maxxed WA22???
post #25071 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post

Any1 got an tube recomendations for the WA6? I just ordered one at the meet, sounded a bit more natural then my Lyr, so im really hoping my impressions are correct, so while i wait, what tubes should I try

 

WA6 combinations are many.  My favorite setup was the 6DE7 with a metal base GZ34 rectifier.  Once I got the HD 800 I went with more power on the drivers-- 6SN7 with adapters.  

 

If that's too rich for your blood (a metal GZ34 can cost up to $300) go with the Sophia Princess as a starting point.  

 

Of course there's always the 596, if you can find one-- I'm still looking for a matched pair. 

post #25072 of 30626
wa22!
post #25073 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstep Girl View Post

wa22!

 

Did you buy?

post #25074 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltime View Post

WA6 combinations are many.  My favorite setup was the 6DE7 with a metal base GZ34 rectifier.  Once I got the HD 800 I went with more power on the drivers-- 6SN7 with adapters.  

If that's too rich for your blood (a metal GZ34 can cost up to $300) go with the Sophia Princess as a starting point.  

Of course there's always the 596, if you can find one-- I'm still looking for a matched pair. 

Holy crap these tubes are ridiculously expensive! Got anything cheaper?

And which 6DE7's would u recomend?
post #25075 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Curiously, have you listened to your Woo with the M1? I'd like to wink_face.gif learn more...

But of course, the M1 feeds my WA5-LE out of its RCA output in my bedroom system. I am splitting the XLR output to send signal to my Stax SRM-727 MkII and my Threshold T2 Preamp.

IMO it is as good as it gets. All what I have described in the Bircasti thread applies to the sound with the Woo. 

post #25076 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

But of course, the M1 feeds my WA5-LE out of its RCA output in my bedroom system. I am splitting the XLR output to send signal to my Stax SRM-727 MkII and my Threshold T2 Preamp.

IMO it is as good as it gets. All what I have described in the Bircasti thread applies to the sound with the Woo. 

 

You have a tongue_smile.gif Bricasti thread?!

post #25077 of 30626
post #25078 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchGFX View Post


Holy crap these tubes are ridiculously expensive! Got anything cheaper?

And which 6DE7's would u recomend?

 

You'll get a decent stock pair of 6DE7s with the amp-- mine were RCAs (sold them with the amp).  It took a lot of tube swapping before I found the 6SN7 to be an upgrade over the 6DE7  I have a pair of 6SN7s with adapters I'd part with for $100 (low hours). I also have a pair of 6GT7s with adapters that I couldn't stand that have an hour or two on them for $100.  I'll let you try before you buy-- they're just sitting in a drawer doing nothing.

 

As for rectifiers-- any NOS Mullard GZ34 from the 50s sounds good.  You can find one for around $100.  I had a '57 standard base.  I also liked the GZ32 (Telefunken)-- those are cheaper still-- and I may have one laying around here somewhere.  

post #25079 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltime View Post

You'll get a decent stock pair of 6DE7s with the amp-- mine were RCAs (sold them with the amp).  It took a lot of tube swapping before I found the 6SN7 to be an upgrade over the 6DE7  I have a pair of 6SN7s with adapters I'd part with for $100 (low hours). I also have a pair of 6GT7s with adapters that I couldn't stand that have an hour or two on them for $100.  I'll let you try before you buy-- they're just sitting in a drawer doing nothing.

As for rectifiers-- any NOS Mullard GZ34 from the 50s sounds good.  You can find one for around $100.  I had a '57 standard base.  I also liked the GZ32 (Telefunken)-- those are cheaper still-- and I may have one laying around here somewhere.  

If you have some that I can try, driver/power or rectifiers, PM me smily_headphones1.gif I would really appreciate that biggrin.gif
post #25080 of 30626
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeltime View Post

 

Did you buy?

 

nope, tempting tho

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite