Fellow Head-fi'er 'kchew' has offered me very kindly to send me two valves to try in my WA6 which has been a bit problematic lately. How kind is that?!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by Themorganlett85, 5/10/14
- brandWooAudiotagged by System, 6/14/10
- productWoo Audio 2tagged by System, 12/4/11
- productWoo Audio WA22tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA3tagged by System, 3/29/12
- productWoo Audio WA5tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA5 LEtagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA6tagged by System, 4/2/11
- productWoo Audio WA 6 SEtagged by System, 8/27/10
- productWoo Audio WEE electrostatic energizertagged by System, 3/29/12
Related Forum Threads
- WooAudio 2 and Denon AH-D5000 Last post on 10/14/11 at 8:16pm in Headphones (full-size)
- SE (single-ended) Tube Amplifers Last post on 10/25/11 at 10:09pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- I'm Woo-sey deciding which Woo to get................... Last post on 10/1/10 at 6:08pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- HD800 + $1,000-$2,500 Amp = Sonic Bliss? Last post on 6/4/14 at 3:18am in High-end Audio Forum
- Need an advice for setting up a closed, comfort, light weight full-size headphone set Last post on 5/24/11 at 6:29am in Headphones (full-size)
Having those for 5 months, I am very impressed as they openned up really with my senheiser momentum after some burn in. I use them with my laptop (pc). This review will be about the VERY good...
Sony XB90EX Review This is not gonna be super in depth but just a small review and a comparison to the Sony XBA30. Ok so first thing I noticed when unboxing, wow they are big! Definitely much...
first review. yayyyyyyyyyy, so here we go. I am no super expert in headphones, but heres what I think the bass is very rumbling. I think that it wasn't as thumping or hard hitting as i would like...
I currently had done a review for the Fostex HP-A3 DAC/amp unit, which is a couple years old, but none the less one of the best units in the price range from experience and reading material...
Bought these in an airport as my other earbuds had stopped working. Even though I bought these in an emergency I immediately regret this purchase. They are definitely worse than the old apple...
Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1671
Gear mentioned in this thread:
Any WA5 owners have some experience pairing with Zu Audio speakers care to share their thoughts, I just ordered on a pair of Soul Supreme speakers but they're a few weeks off and I couldn't audition them in store. Just crossing my fingers and hoping for some good synergy when they arrive for now.
Also I've been getting some loud sparodic popping coming from my left channel, this is my first tube amp so I'm not quite sure, but I think it would be the driver tubes. The popping stopped when I swapped back to the stock tubes.
Sounds like a noisy tube. I'd stay away from the that one.
Guys and ladies,
I am reducing my rectifier and driver tube collection. Please check my posts at the accessories for sale forum.
Edited by musicman59 - 4/20/13 at 9:23am
"Woozies" are a tight-knit group. Cheers to kchew!
Recently I decide to buy a wa5le to go with my HD800.
Now the question is whether or not I should spend another thousand to take the part upgrade. I will go for tubes upgrades for sure, as Jack pointed out that tubes can improve the sonic performance greatly. but he did not mention how parts upgrade can influence the sound in real hearing.
Has anyone who has heard both the stock and Maxxed? I would appreciate it very much if you can share your thoughts.
Or, to those who are the current owner, is your wa5le stock or with parts upgrade?
I am new here, and I appreciate your ideas. Thanks !
i knew i like different amps, different headphones with different moods and music and that's why i chose not to do the upgrade parts last year when i got my wa5. the saved money, i picked up a gsx-mkii
LCD-3 and DNA 2A3/WA5-LE won't happen. not enough money and i'd be stuck with stock tubes. also my DLIII might prove to be not enough with these amps (will it be good for WA22?)
the WA22 all i would need to do is buy 6SN7's since i already have a good selection of 5U4G (black mullard GZ34, mighty 596, miss sophia, and the eml) and some 6080 (RCA 6AS7, TS 5998 and Sylvania 7236).
im totally for buying the WA22, but i wanted to be sure its a sure improvement in soundstage/imaging/detail/ transparency over the WA6-SE and WA2. and also, i would not want to lose any magic with the T1. the WA2 is almost primarily for the T1, its just smooth, musical, and well awesome, but it can be a little dull at times still. thats why i was considering tube rolling, maybe updating JAN-Sylvania 7308's to some nice CCa's or something would bring the last bit of improvement for it to be a perfect setup, for me, its really close already.
as for the WA6-SE, i'm enjoying it with HD 800 and LCD-2, the HD 800 just sound so right on it, detailed, open, energy, bass, but it still gets a tad bit too hot sometimes. i was considering 6SN7 because theres no perfect combination with the other tubes, either they're too harsh, or too dull, and i wanted to see if 6SN7 would give me some sweetness and tonality while still maintaining control and transparency. the T1 doesn't do too well with WA6-SE, too bright.
of course, my worries with the WA22 are these:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/632848/wa2-or-wa22-for-beyerdynamic-t1 this one about T1 not having power
and also http://www.head-fi.org/t/615810/the-beauty-and-the-beast-woo-wa2-vs-wa22 this one, seems i could basically replace WA6-SE with WA22 and the review would be exactly the same.
and a few other things of course, however, if its enough of an upgrade to get the WA22, then i'd definitely buy it. i would expect it to be better than either WA2 and WA6-SE to a noticeable degree, and to be not as lush as WA2, but not as bright and aggressive as a WA6-SE (ive actually read somewhere that WA6-SE was more tubish and musical). also, it would have to be magical with the T1 similar to WA2. (ive read somewhere also that the WA22 was better with T1 than some other similarly priced amps, that there is synergy).
dubstep girl, are you sure you're really set on t1? and want to build your headphones rig around t1?
i build(ing) around my headphones rigs around t1 and on most days i just love the way wa5 sound with t1. well some days my balanced rudistor rp010b(a ss amp with a touch of tube sound). more like, 7 of 10 i'd pick the wa5. the lushness, the tubey romantic sound. just make the t1 perfect(i sometimes want more bass though). 300b has a special way of presenting vocal and that's probably why t1 sound so prefect with t1.
and for the stock tubes, people just blown out of proportion. i sure can't live with the stock tubes now but i remember a stock wa5 was the best amp i've heard at the time. you don't really need to change all the tubes right away. and i remember playing wa2, wa22 and wa5, all stock tubes, last year at the local dealer and wa5 was still the best amp i'd heard at the time.
also, t1 is more amp dependent than other headphones. maybe it's the 600ohm or what ever. get the amp first and worry about the source, the tubes and everything else later.
p.s.: wa2 ain't bad though with t1 so no hurry/necessary to get other amp unless you feel you need to.
not just the T1, also the HD 800. i really like my HD 800s, in fact, i feel the HD 800s are better than the T1 in many ways, but the T1 is a better all rounder. i find myself using both quite a bit.
If you like the HD800, there is no amp better than the WA5. At least for all the amps I listened HD800 with.
i would still feel silly using stock tubes, a DLIII with v link, and not having a proper table/rack for a 70lb amp. if i had the funds for an endgame setup, it'd be a no brainer. WA5 maxed with double mighty 596's, and a PWD or M51
Edited by Dubstep Girl - 4/20/13 at 2:51pm
i like my new toy, gsxmkii, a lot with hd800. new toy maybe?
- Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › The new IEM of Vsonic VSD 3S ( impression updated by smailbz) 52 seconds ago
- › USB Cable popularity check 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 2 minutes ago
- › O2 AMP + ODAC 2 minutes ago
- › Best $200 IEMS? 3 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 Pro 5 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 5 minutes ago
- › New Onkyo ES-FC300 / HF300? 6 minutes ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 7 minutes ago
- › DacMagic XS USB DAC Headphone Amp by Davidoffdgh
- › SONY MDR-XB90EX | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese Import) by kevms89
- › M-Audio Studiophile Q40 Closed-back Dynamic Headphones by classycans
- › Audio Poutine CDAC+ by WhiskeyJacks
- › Hama HK-3063 by Blanejmc
- › Calyx Audio M by Currawong
- › Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro - 600 ohms by MrTechAgent
- › T-PEOS H-100II by mark2410
- › Yulong Audio D200 32bit 384khz DSD DAC by customNuts
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by Wyd4
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)