Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1543

post #23131 of 30722

Woo in Print!

 

I was looking through Home Theater this morning and discovered the back page devoted to Woo's mono block amp!

There is a nice shot of the WA234s with the transport-D2A combo in the background.  Very favorable review.
 

 

What's interesting is they don't seem to have actually listened to it!  Go figure...


Edited by SeeHear - 10/18/12 at 11:23am
post #23132 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

Like any other store or restaurant, if you don't see it, ask for it. wink_face.gif

beerchug.gif

post #23133 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeHear View Post

Woo in Print!

 

I was looking through Home Theater this morning and discovered the back page devoted to Woo's mono block amp!

There is a nice shot of the WA234s with teh transport=D2A combo in the background.  Very favorable review.
 

 

What's interesting is they don't seem to have actually listened to it!  Go figure...

I noticed that as well....Funny it is eye candy only since every mag seems to be hopping on the Headphone train lately.

post #23134 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeHear View Post

Woo in Print!

 

I was looking through Home Theater this morning and discovered the back page devoted to Woo's mono block amp!

There is a nice shot of the WA234s with teh transport=D2A combo in the background.  Very favorable review.
 

 

What's interesting is they don't seem to have actually listened to it!  Go figure...

I noticed that as well....Funny it is eye candy only since every mag seems to be hopping on the Headphone train lately.

 

Marketing. And Jack Wu is working it. biggrin.gif

post #23135 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle View Post

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have bought a Woo Audio WA5-LE (and a Woo Wes is here in 3 weeks) and I am wondering which tubes give a warm signature? I have read loads of threads about tube rolling but I don't understand all these numbers and letters. Could someone please explain this to me? Or better yet, is there a place where I can read up on the different tubes kinda like tubes 101.

 

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread.

You are in no way thread hijacking.  this is exactly one of the things this thread is for.

Congrats on the awesome amp.

wish i could help you, but welcome to the club!

someone will surely come along with help.

post #23136 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcarmoose View Post

If I was to order A W5LE again I would get the volume knob upgrade if it still offered. It seems the entire signal travels through it, if I have my facts down straight. I also would not order it with the stock tubes. They were OK and all but you can put a little extra money towards tube upgrades as to keep the original tubes can be redundant if you never use them. Just put the money into the tubes your going to use all the time.

 

 

Edit..

 

Not seeing a stepped attenuator upgrade so maybe they are not available now days?

 

I don't think he was offering a stepped attenuator but he can install a RK50 for about $700. The chassis needs some modification in order to fit it. When I was about to order mine I aske Jack if the improvement was significant to justified the $700 premium. His answer was that I would notice a difference in the mechanical movement (smoother) but woul dbe very difficult to hear a signifficant difference.

I decided to put the money in other improvement.

post #23137 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle View Post

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have bought a Woo Audio WA5-LE (and a Woo Wes is here in 3 weeks) and I am wondering which tubes give a warm signature? I have read loads of threads about tube rolling but I don't understand all these numbers and letters. Could someone please explain this to me? Or better yet, is there a place where I can read up on the different tubes kinda like tubes 101.

 

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread.

From the rectifiers I have tried probably the Mullard GZ37 is the warmer one I have tried.

http://thetubestore.com/mullardgz37.html

 

I have not tried other 330B than my EML 300B Mesh and I really like them.

 

For drivers there is many you can try. The Mullard ECC32 are very nice but expensive (in the $600 range for a pair). I personally really like the Tungsol round plates/black glass 6F8G (you need an adaptor for these) or 6SN7GT. IMO some good cheaper options are the RCA Gray Glass 6SN7 or the RCA Red Base 5692.

 

You can read some about the different sounds of 6SN7 tubes here:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6sn7.htm

post #23138 of 30722

Hi,

 

I'm interested in the WA2.

I like the idea that it can be used as a preamp.

But when I mailed Woo, they don't offer any other upgrades then tubes anymore...

...is the WA2 great as it is? (I was quiet interested in the stepped volume pot. and maybe a power supply upgrade if that was available.)

 

What do you guys think? = ) 

post #23139 of 30722
Have you emailed Jack to see if upgrades are available. Last January when I ordered my WA2 upgrades were said to not be available but Woo was able to deliver an upgraded WA2 just the same.
post #23140 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

 

I don't think he was offering a stepped attenuator but he can install a RK50 for about $700. The chassis needs some modification in order to fit it. When I was about to order mine I aske Jack if the improvement was significant to justified the $700 premium. His answer was that I would notice a difference in the mechanical movement (smoother) but woul dbe very difficult to hear a signifficant difference.

I decided to put the money in other improvement.

Here is an example of the stepped attenuator option installed. There may be others like Alps that could be purchased.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/552339/woo-audio-wa6se-completely-maxxed-out

 

They used to be offered on the Woo site when I ordered mine.

 

Edit...

 

I got ya the RK50 is an Alps!


Edited by Redcarmoose - 10/18/12 at 9:05pm
post #23141 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Csericks View Post

Have you emailed Jack to see if upgrades are available. Last January when I ordered my WA2 upgrades were said to not be available but Woo was able to deliver an upgraded WA2 just the same.

Yes, I've even asked twice ;D

 

What upgrades do you have on yours?

 

The lates reply I got was: "the internal parts are no longer available since the Black Gate caps was out of production for years."

 

They could however upgrade the volume control to a DACT stepped attenuator.

 

I also might be interested in a remote volume control, but I don't know if its worth it(?) and I'm also thinking "less extra features, better sound quality and durability". 

post #23142 of 30722

I'm sad, one of my Sylvania VT-231 in my maxed WA6 is dying.  The right one has started inserting a random low volume crackling sound into the music, intermittently, and when I swap the tubes the sound moves to the opposite side with the tube.  I'm using Glenn's adapters with them, and the VT-231 are a bit more detailed than my old RCA 6DE7.  

 

I have a set of 6FD7 somewhere, that Jack sold me, so once I find them I can put them in and see how they go.  Skylab had recommended that tube to me.  Otherwise I'm back to my old RCA 6DE7.  I have the older WA6 that can't take the 6EW7, but I do have some spacers that will raise the tubes.  So, if the spacers move the 6EW7 tubes ABOVE the holes in the top plate, then the fatter 6EW7 can be used, right?

post #23143 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calle View Post

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have bought a Woo Audio WA5-LE (and a Woo Wes is here in 3 weeks) and I am wondering which tubes give a warm signature? I have read loads of threads about tube rolling but I don't understand all these numbers and letters. Could someone please explain this to me? Or better yet, is there a place where I can read up on the different tubes kinda like tubes 101.

 

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread.

 

I've personally feel that the Shuguang CV181 (A 6SN7 equivalent) has a very warm presentation and will add a good dollop of cream to any roll. The Mullard CV181 is also good in this department though prices for these is on the hike!

 

Of the 300B's I've tried all are warm, just in different shades, if that makes sense? ;-) On the rectifier front, the Mullard GZ34 have a great warm tone without sounding mushy.

post #23144 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorkfan View Post

Hi,

 

I'm interested in the WA2.

I like the idea that it can be used as a preamp.

But when I mailed Woo, they don't offer any other upgrades then tubes anymore...

...is the WA2 great as it is? (I was quiet interested in the stepped volume pot. and maybe a power supply upgrade if that was available.)

 

What do you guys think? = ) 


I use my WA2 as a preamp at least as much as a headphone amp.  I am very pleased with it's performance in both roles.  Mine is stock except for second set of preout (to send signal to subwoofer) and a custom pre-out switch.  I've not heard the other volume control options, but the current one does not leave me wanting.  I understand current production units now have a standard switch to turn off the pre-out. 

 

I'm still waiting for mine - Hint-hint, Jack :^)

post #23145 of 30722
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeHear View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorkfan View Post

Hi,

 

I'm interested in the WA2.

I like the idea that it can be used as a preamp.

But when I mailed Woo, they don't offer any other upgrades then tubes anymore...

...is the WA2 great as it is? (I was quiet interested in the stepped volume pot. and maybe a power supply upgrade if that was available.)

 

What do you guys think? = ) 


I use my WA2 as a preamp at least as much as a headphone amp.  I am very pleased with it's performance in both roles.  Mine is stock except for second set of preout (to send signal to subwoofer) and a custom pre-out switch.  I've not heard the other volume control options, but the current one does not leave me wanting.  I understand current production units now have a standard switch to turn off the pre-out. 

 

I'm still waiting for mine - Hint-hint, Jack :^)

 

When using the WA2 as a headphone amp, have you ever used an external preamp (separate component from stereo or stand alone unit) out into the Woo?


Edited by Silent One - 10/19/12 at 9:43pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite