Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 1542

post #23116 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman59 View Post

 

IMO the tube upgrades are a must specially the 300B and rectifiers. The one I audition before ordering mine had Sophia with RCA drivers and sounded very good. I am running EML 300B, Tugnsol 6F8G and USFA 596 and IMO sound great.

 

I did go all the way with parts upgrades, sockets upgrade and even send Jack the wire for internal wiring (OCC Copper Neotech) and Cards Eutectic solder. Later I upgraded the umbilical cord to one made out of the same Neotech OCC Copper chassis wire.

 

I love my WA5-LE.

This is a serious definition of "Hobby" how cool is it that the builder will accomodate the buyer with specific changes of even internal wire....I love this stuff!

post #23117 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

This is a serious definition of "Hobby" how cool is it that the builder will accomodate the buyer with specific changes of even internal wire....I love this stuff!

When you are dealing with small companies and mainly handmade or assembled products there is more flexibility.biggrin.gif

post #23118 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

What could you tell us about the power supply? Thanks.

 

Even less.  Sorry.

post #23119 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

What could you tell us about the power supply? Thanks.

 

Even less.  Sorry.

 

Was the separate power supply in view - what does it look like?

popcorn.gif

post #23120 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Was the separate power supply in view - what does it look like?

popcorn.gif

 

No idea.  All I cared about was the sound and didn't think to look under the table.

post #23121 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

OK, OK, you almost convinced me to go for the WA5 instead of the EDBA.

Congrats, the WA5 is on my very short list of single-ended dream amps. The Balancing Act is also right up there, and besides versatility, don't forget to consider whether or not you have a preference between SE and balanced configurations/cabling options.
Edited by grokit - 10/17/12 at 6:10pm
post #23122 of 30978


My first brand new Woo!
post #23123 of 30978

WEE-eeee!!!

beerchug.gif

post #23124 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent One View Post

 

Was the separate power supply in view - what does it look like?

popcorn.gif

 

No idea.  All I cared about was the sound and didn't think to look under the table.

 

You're making me sounddt880smile.png suspicious! Thanks for your time and excellent contribution, at any rate - felt as if I was walking the floor myself. 

post #23125 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post


My first brand new Woo!

congrats - nice color cool.gif

post #23126 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

 

Jack Wu told us over dinner Friday night, and I forget what he said, but either Fang Bian or Ray Samuels said they were very good tubes.  It's not tubes used in previous amps.  I do know it's a class-A single ended triode amp.  I'd actually want to know more about the DAC.


Interesting.  It is probably another sweep tube used in TVs that nobody has commercialized yet.  The plates just looked like pentodes from the picture, which it could still be.  They could be running them as strapped triodes.

post #23127 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichels View Post

OK, OK, you almost convinced me to go for the WA5 instead of the EDBA.

 

But....is it really necessary with the WOO to get the tube or parts upgrade ? Dose it make à real " sonic différence " ? If yes, what are the most usefull recommended upgrade  (All the upgrades together add to + 3000$, which bring the WOO above the Electrostatic solution !!  so, which one are really recommended ) ?

Many thanks

 

As others have said the best upgrades are tube upgrades, however these can be upgraded later, its simpler to get any parts upgrades earlier whilst the unit is being built than returning and retrofitting later on.

 

As for the parts themselves, I prefer Mundorf SIO coupling caps over the V-Caps. Personally I don't think much of the Woo teflon socket upgrade (Mine have become very loose after light tube rolling!)

 

In my experience an amp is only ever as good as its power supply so I'd advise PSU cap upgrade if your budget will stretch.

 

As an FYI, on the tube front I use Takatsuki 300B, EML 5U4G mesh and either Tungsol 12SN7 or RCA 12SX7 or Shuggy CV181 depending on my mood :) (I have an adapter that allows me to use 12V tubes)

post #23128 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Raal View Post

 

As others have said the best upgrades are tube upgrades, however these can be upgraded later, its simpler to get any parts upgrades earlier whilst the unit is being built than returning and retrofitting later on.

 

As for the parts themselves, I prefer Mundorf SIO coupling caps over the V-Caps. Personally I don't think much of the Woo teflon socket upgrade (Mine have become very loose after light tube rolling!)

 

In my experience an amp is only ever as good as its power supply so I'd advise PSU cap upgrade if your budget will stretch.

 

As an FYI, on the tube front I use Takatsuki 300B, EML 5U4G mesh and either Tungsol 12SN7 or RCA 12SX7 or Shuggy CV181 depending on my mood :) (I have an adapter that allows me to use 12V tubes)

If I was to order A W5LE again I would get the volume knob upgrade if it still offered. It seems the entire signal travels through it, if I have my facts down straight. I also would not order it with the stock tubes. They were OK and all but you can put a little extra money towards tube upgrades as to keep the original tubes can be redundant if you never use them. Just put the money into the tubes your going to use all the time.

 

 

Edit..

 

Not seeing a stepped attenuator upgrade so maybe they are not available now days?


Edited by Redcarmoose - 10/18/12 at 4:01am
post #23129 of 30978

Like any other store or restaurant, if you don't see it, ask for it. wink_face.gif

post #23130 of 30978

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have bought a Woo Audio WA5-LE (and a Woo Wes is here in 3 weeks) and I am wondering which tubes give a warm signature? I have read loads of threads about tube rolling but I don't understand all these numbers and letters. Could someone please explain this to me? Or better yet, is there a place where I can read up on the different tubes kinda like tubes 101.

 

Again, sorry for hijacking the thread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite