Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 893

post #13381 of 30962

This upgrade looks like an obvious improvement over the stock components.  It's been an eye opener for sure.  

post #13382 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post

Mike, I think that you've voided the WA22's warranty.



Yes, he did.



Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt View Post

Of course we'll never know but I'd love to hear what Woo would say about the upgraded mod.   


Jack will be fine as long as the spec of upgrade are all checked out.  He will service it if necessary but you will have to pay for it.  It happened to my WA22 during shipping from HK and I have to ship it to Jack to fix it for me.  The upgrade parts are shook loose during shipping and I did not notice and fried something.  Jack took good care of it for a very reasonable charge.

post #13383 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post


Jack will be fine as long as the spec of upgrade are all checked out.  He will service it if necessary but you will have to pay for it.  It happened to my WA22 during shipping from HK and I have to ship it to Jack to fix it for me.  The upgrade parts are shook loose during shipping and I did not notice and fried something.  Jack took good care of it for a very reasonable charge.


 

I didn't mean wether or not he would approve of the mod, just his philosophical view on it.    I've had designers mod their own equipment for me in the past, and it's always interesting to hear their updated views on new components and why they were or were not considered prior.    

post #13384 of 30962

Jack said he did not offer the upgrade on WA22 because he can't source the parts.  BGs are very hard to come by these days and the price/SQ is not justifiable.  

post #13385 of 30962


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

Jack said he did not offer the upgrade on WA22 because he can't source the parts.  BGs are very hard to come by these days and the price/SQ is not justifiable.  



The justifiable price point is an interesting point of contention for sure. 

post #13386 of 30962
Well if Mike likes it. Then perhaps I would consider it as well.

Hey Mike, I know you're using the DAC-2 with your WA22 (pre-mods) with good results but I've recently come across this:

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products_zodiac.html

are you aware of this one? Has anyone else auditioned the Zodiac DAC with their Woo?
post #13387 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post

Well if Mike likes it. Then perhaps I would consider it as well.

Hey Mike, I know you're using the DAC-2 with your WA22 (pre-mods) with good results but I've recently come across this:

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products_zodiac.html

are you aware of this one? Has anyone else auditioned the Zodiac DAC with their Woo?

 

I'm on this for a while but my wallet said "stay away or you will be sorry".  I'm interest in too if any Woo owners using it.
 

 

post #13388 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorAnt View Post


 



The justifiable price point is an interesting point of contention for sure. 


I can justify them last year but not this year, the price of BGs are almost double than last year.  

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-GATE-NH-series-electrolytic-capacitor-220u-160V-/220670164225

 

That is crazy price increase.

 

post #13389 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post




I can justify them last year but not this year, the price of BGs are almost double than last year.  

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-GATE-NH-series-electrolytic-capacitor-220u-160V-/220670164225

 

That is crazy price increase.

 


Is there any way to make sure you're not getting counterfeits. I'm not sure if they counterfeit caps though but if they can do it to headphones, tubes, etc. well... they can with caps I guess.
post #13390 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn View Post



 



Yes I removed the bypass caps from the board and used Sprague Atom caps for bypass the two big blue caps those are for the 6AS7s

500uf 100 volt

and the two black caps at the bottom center of the board 250uf 25 volt

 Removing the two bypass caps from the board gave room for the 2 yellow poly caps that I added to bypass the last electrolytic

 capacitors in the power supply that supply power to the 6AS7s.

also changed the 4 6SN7 plate resistors removed the cheep 33000 ohm 5% 1/2 watt resistors with Caddock non inductive

33000 ohm 1% 7 watt resistors

 


hello glenn, why the need for the 10uf bypass cap? was the noise factor that bad? what are your thoughts of the sprague atoms compared to elna silmic2's? (nonpolar nx bg's would've been nice for that position...)

 

post #13391 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post



Is there any way to make sure you're not getting counterfeits. I'm not sure if they counterfeit caps though but if they can do it to headphones, tubes, etc. well... they can with caps I guess.


I personally can't that is why I don't do mod myself and let the professional does their magic.

post #13392 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalter View Post

 

I have a little more time and can post some nicer pictures.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Details of the innards (L then R)

 

 

 

 

DSC_0099.jpgDSC_0106.jpg

 

Details of replacement wireing on headphone outputs.  Balanced outputs send a balanced signal and are disconnected from the single ended

1/4 inch jack by a switch.  That switch will activate when a 1/4 inch jack is plugged in which will then make all output single ended.  The net

effect of this wiring is that the amp is now fully balanced back to front and the default is a balanced output through the balanced headphone

jacks in the front.  If you have a single ended headphone, you plug it into the 1/4 inch jack and then you get a single ended output.  The

sonic effects of this part of the modification are that highs are less congested.  This was an experiment as it's effects were unknown given

the strength of Woo's design.  The sonic impact to me was minimal, and it seems to me that it would not be worth it to just get this done only, however

if you are getting other things done, then it would we worth it.

 

 

 


Mike, can you please post a pic of the switch from the outside?  I'm really interest in this mod.

post #13393 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post

I'm sure Glenn provides a warranty for his work.



Who's Glenn btw? 

post #13394 of 30962
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post


I can justify them last year but not this year, the price of BGs are almost double than last year.  

 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-GATE-NH-series-electrolytic-capacitor-220u-160V-/220670164225

 

That is crazy price increase.

 



Yeah, the price is going unbelievably high.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post


Is there any way to make sure you're not getting counterfeits. I'm not sure if they counterfeit caps though but if they can do it to headphones, tubes, etc. well... they can with caps I guess.



You're right, too. I bought some fake BHC caps months ago from a China website.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc9394 View Post

I personally can't that is why I don't do mod myself and let the professional does their magic.



There is no magic at all my friend just some rarely found component. biggrin.gif

 

post #13395 of 30962
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannie01 View Post


There is no magic at all my friend just some rarely found component. biggrin.gif

 



Should I say soldering skill?  beerchug.gif  Are you done with the WA5 mod?  We need to see some glamour shots.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite