Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite - Page 892

post #13366 of 30978

I see Vcaps for the coupling caps.  That will sound clear as a bell in an isolation chamber once burned in. 

 

Did Glenn change the cathode bypass caps to something different?

post #13367 of 30978



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

I see Vcaps for the coupling caps.  That will sound clear as a bell in an isolation chamber once burned in. 

 

Did Glenn change the cathode bypass caps to something different?


Which ones are the cathode bypass caps?

 

I've been reading that V-Caps need 400 hours burn-in time.  What do you think?
 

 

post #13368 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalter View Post



 


Which ones are the cathode bypass caps?

 

I've been reading that V-Caps need 400 hours burn-in time.  What do you think?
 

 



When I had my WA6 maxxed, I heard no changes after 500 hours.  No sure on WA22 since I got it used.

post #13369 of 30978



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcalibur255 View Post

I see Vcaps for the coupling caps.  That will sound clear as a bell in an isolation chamber once burned in. 

 

Did Glenn change the cathode bypass caps to something different?



Yes I removed the bypass caps from the board and used Sprague Atom caps for bypass the two big blue caps those are for the 6AS7s

500uf 100 volt

and the two black caps at the bottom center of the board 250uf 25 volt

 Removing the two bypass caps from the board gave room for the 2 yellow poly caps that I added to bypass the last electrolytic

 capacitors in the power supply that supply power to the 6AS7s.

also changed the 4 6SN7 plate resistors removed the cheep 33000 ohm 5% 1/2 watt resistors with Caddock non inductive

33000 ohm 1% 7 watt resistors

 

post #13370 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton SF View Post



Wow. You can still get BGs? That's great.
 

 


 

I replaced em with BGs , got  help from a friend who's a post doc in EE, he manage to find some supplies through school and the used/broken equipment they got there. 

Frankly as ignorant about EE or amp as I do, I've got no idea what he has done o.O. But I really trust his knowledge lol. 

 

Although what other mod his done with his amp lol 

 

Frankly I didn't notice any difference with mine, since I only had very little time with the stock one.... but I really didn't think the whole mod thing worth my friend's time.....

post #13371 of 30978

  Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentOne View Post




Last week I started looking to buy my first WA22 (used). But it would require liquidating a couple of pieces first. Then a new member appears in this thread this afternoon (with cash) seeking to buy a WA22 from any of you current members. He's standing where I recently stood 'cause I ain't got no cash. biggrin.gif  (to the back of the line, Silent one!)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post




They do come up from time to time...good luck!

 


Sorry Silent, you are correct.  I'm new here and happily get behind you in line for a used WA22.  biggrin.gif  I just bought a par a of LCD-2's rev1 from a fellow member and using them with a Little Dot MKIII.  It's a nice modest setup however I would like to go to a balanced setup.  After reading all of the great review and posts regarding the WA22 I figured I would though my hat in the ring.  

 

MacedonianHero - Thanks for the encouragement but it looks like have some competitionsmile.gif

 

post #13372 of 30978

 

I have a little more time and can post some nicer pictures.

 

 

Pre-mod

DSC_0679.jpg

 

 

Complete mod at a glance

DSC_0096.jpg

 

 

Bones:

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

 

Details of the innards (L then R)

DSC_0104.jpgDSC_0105.jpg

 

DSC_0097.jpgDSC_0098.jpg

 

DSC_0099.jpgDSC_0106.jpg

 

Details of replacement wireing on headphone outputs.  Balanced outputs send a balanced signal and are disconnected from the single ended

1/4 inch jack by a switch.  That switch will activate when a 1/4 inch jack is plugged in which will then make all output single ended.  The net

effect of this wiring is that the amp is now fully balanced back to front and the default is a balanced output through the balanced headphone

jacks in the front.  If you have a single ended headphone, you plug it into the 1/4 inch jack and then you get a single ended output.  The

sonic effects of this part of the modification are that highs are less congested.  This was an experiment as it's effects were unknown given

the strength of Woo's design.  The sonic impact to me was minimal, and it seems to me that it would not be worth it to just get this done only, however

if you are getting other things done, then it would we worth it.

DSC_0100.jpgDSC_0101.jpg

 

I don't have a lot to say about the differences in sound at this point as I have read that the V-Caps take 400 hours to breakin and the sound is

all over the map.  However, I would like to give a cooking analogy.  I have this dish I like to make for Sunday lunch, with fried onions, green

and orange peppers, a jalipano, lots of white mushrooms and a single very large crimini mushroom. 

 

Cooking with just some salt and a little pepper and it's a really good dish and hits the spot.  However when I use some of Chef Paul's vegetable

magic seasoning, all of a sudden the contrast of the sweet and salty notes start playing off of each other.  The peppers taste really sweet

and their flavor becomes more pronounced.  So at this early stage, this mod is like my sunday lunch, it was really good before (as everyone knows

how good the WA22 is natively), and the mods just took the excellence of what was there and made it more pronounced, and as a result there

is more dimensionality and depth.

 

As the hours pass, I'll post every so often as changes occurr.  I am hearing flashes of something really nice.

post #13373 of 30978

Very nice looking.  It is every bit as clean looking as the stock build.  Also, thanks to Glenn for elaborating a bit on the changes.  I was considering having the Nichicon Muse or Elna Silnic II substituted for the stock cathode bypass caps when it came time to get mine, but your mod takes it to another level over that.  That and I'm definitely getting the stock coupling caps replaced with something else, but what else I haven't decided yet.  It's still a long way off (had to spend the money I was putting aside for it to replace my PC instead) but I enjoy laying the plans out ahead of time.

 

As for the Vcaps........ I can't confirm or deny the 400 hour number, but there is wide consensus that Vcaps need time to open up.  Cheers, and I hope you enjoy your new WA22+  Mike!  :)

post #13374 of 30978

WA22+

 

That's a great way to look at the enhanced '22', Xcalibur255! And 2359glenn, great job!!! mikemalter, you'e in for a beautiful autumn. I agree that the numbers for different caps reaching full bloom are all over the street. However, in my own conservative view, though caps may begin to show some early improvement up through 500 hours, at minimum I'm looking at 1,000 hours. Vcaps, Black Gates and a few others will all need to crash the 1k mark to be at full sonic bloom (my opinion, of course). 

 

After further thought though, I'm basing this on a new amp. But what if an amp is previously broken, perhaps that time could/should be cut? Something to ponder over breakfast...

 

My projection? December, if his play-in schedule accounts for a single 8-10 hour effort each day. Also considering September will be a split month for him as well. If he decides to run split 8 hour shifts each day (2 a day), he will reach nirvana on Friday, 28 October. He'll be celebrating his Woo in full-bloom, I'll be celebrating the first day of Eggnog season!. biggrin.gif


Edited by Silent One - 8/31/11 at 4:56am
post #13375 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamrut View Post


Sorry Silent, you are correct.  I'm new here and happily get behind you in line for a used WA22.  biggrin.gif  I just bought a par a of LCD-2's rev1 from a fellow member and using them with a Little Dot MKIII.  It's a nice modest setup however I would like to go to a balanced setup.  After reading all of the great review and posts regarding the WA22 I figured I would though my hat in the ring.  

 

MacedonianHero - Thanks for the encouragement but it looks like have some competitionsmile.gif

 



adamrut ~

 

Welcome to head-fi and the 'Unite' thread in particular!

beerchug.gif

post #13376 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by strannik View Post

Wow, how old is your Sophia? Few thousand hours? I know they darken with use over time but.. I've never seen anything like that.
 


 

 



I had my Sophia Princess about eight months and she started to darken rather quickly, beginning in month three. But her performance was never affected.

post #13377 of 30978
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemalter View Post

 

I have a little more time and can post some nicer pictures.

 

 

Pre-mod

DSC_0679.jpg

 

 

Complete mod at a glance

DSC_0096.jpg

 

 

Bones:

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

 

Details of the innards (L then R)

DSC_0104.jpgDSC_0105.jpg

 

DSC_0097.jpgDSC_0098.jpg

 

DSC_0099.jpgDSC_0106.jpg

 

Details of replacement wireing on headphone outputs.  Balanced outputs send a balanced signal and are disconnected from the single ended

1/4 inch jack by a switch.  That switch will activate when a 1/4 inch jack is plugged in which will then make all output single ended.  The net

effect of this wiring is that the amp is now fully balanced back to front and the default is a balanced output through the balanced headphone

jacks in the front.  If you have a single ended headphone, you plug it into the 1/4 inch jack and then you get a single ended output.  The

sonic effects of this part of the modification are that highs are less congested.  This was an experiment as it's effects were unknown given

the strength of Woo's design.  The sonic impact to me was minimal, and it seems to me that it would not be worth it to just get this done only, however

if you are getting other things done, then it would we worth it.

DSC_0100.jpgDSC_0101.jpg

 

I don't have a lot to say about the differences in sound at this point as I have read that the V-Caps take 400 hours to breakin and the sound is

all over the map.  However, I would like to give a cooking analogy.  I have this dish I like to make for Sunday lunch, with fried onions, green

and orange peppers, a jalipano, lots of white mushrooms and a single very large crimini mushroom. 

 

Cooking with just some salt and a little pepper and it's a really good dish and hits the spot.  However when I use some of Chef Paul's vegetable

magic seasoning, all of a sudden the contrast of the sweet and salty notes start playing off of each other.  The peppers taste really sweet

and their flavor becomes more pronounced.  So at this early stage, this mod is like my sunday lunch, it was really good before (as everyone knows

how good the WA22 is natively), and the mods just took the excellence of what was there and made it more pronounced, and as a result there

is more dimensionality and depth.

 

As the hours pass, I'll post every so often as changes occurr.  I am hearing flashes of something really nice.



Bones? Brilliant play! You got that Nikon charged up just in time - great shots! Although, I'm just starting to dig the Sunday Brunch analogy... too close to breakfast! biggrin.gif

post #13378 of 30978

Mike, I think that you've voided the WA22's warranty.

post #13379 of 30978

Of course we'll never know but I'd love to hear what Woo would say about the upgraded mod.   

post #13380 of 30978

I'm sure Glenn provides a warranty for his work.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite