Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › My new Joseph Grado HP2i & HP2is
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My new Joseph Grado HP2i & HP2is - Page 8

post #106 of 173

Yes I like them very much.

 

I discovered HD414-bowls combination when tweaking to reduce bass on my SR100 (with HP-1000 driver, not in their respective headphone, which I thought this was an issue because this plastic body wasn't optimized for the driver itself). I realized only months later that this bass is actually part of the sound signature of the HP-1000 (HP1-2-3) themselves, when I finally got my hands on it.

 

My pads accentuate highs a lot (like just like if you would lift the headphone a bit and create more distance), which shifted the balance too much on my SR100, but on the HP-1000, which are very much has bassy, but since they have a thicker steel rod headband (will keep the driver pressed closer to your hear), to me, make up for the perfect balance (while on my SR100 highs became a bit too prominent with the mod) that I was initially seeking for my SR100. I wish I had PS-1000 pads to compare them with. Maybe my pads are only a poor man's G-cush, but I don't think they put as much distance between your ears and the drivers. But I would like to have someone else's opinion.


Edited by devouringone3 - 5/13/12 at 5:04pm
post #107 of 173

interesting, thanks. I looked at your image, isnt the 414 pad covering part of the driver?
 

post #108 of 173

Yep it does, but that's a hole I did using a quarter coin... it's a random size really, I could have paid more effort into matching the 40 mm diameter of the driver, but the change in sound wouldn't have changed much at all. There could be no hole also, but it muffles the highs a bit so it's better with one (any size you want).

 

I like to have a bit of an edge because sometimes my ear gets real close to the driver inside the pad, so the edge stops my ear from going further and let it sit gently.


Edited by devouringone3 - 5/13/12 at 6:13am
post #109 of 173
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcf View Post

And he has to take break from time to time for health reasons.

By the way, are you going to get the new earpads Nik? Good to see you back in this now legendary thread. 

Yes, I'll contact Joe for some pairs of new earpads...

Thanks...

Nik

post #110 of 173

The HP-1000 are still my favorite Grado, although I do have 5-6 phones I prefer more.  Nevertheless, I do regret selling mine a while back. I'd much rather have an HP-1000 than my HF-2 #24 (no typo).  

 

The only phones that I DON'T already own, but would want more than an HP-1000, are SR-omega, HE-90 and R-10.

post #111 of 173

I didn't even know there were typo-free HF-2s, cool! I have read, only the first 24, so you have a nice number.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguru View Post

Doesn't surprise me, I prefer the r10 to the sr-007 and he90 myself. 

 

originally I had my list as as something like this

1) R10

2) he90

3) Sr-omega

3) sr-007 mk1

4) hd800

4) hp-1000 w/ultra-wide signature cable

 

But after the upgrades and the new pads I have the hp-2i as #1.

 

Wow, that's saying something!


Edited by devouringone3 - 5/13/12 at 5:17pm
post #112 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post

The HP-1000 are still my favorite Grado, although I do have 5-6 phones I prefer more.  Nevertheless, I do regret selling mine a while back. I'd much rather have an HP-1000 than my HF-2 #24 (no typo).  

 

The only phones that I DON'T already own, but would want more than an HP-1000, are SR-omega, HE-90 and R-10.

 

Problem for me with the stock hp1000 is that it is a bit congested compared to some other top tier headphones. It sounds a bit slow, instruments are not as well separated. Compared to the hd800, the hd800 seems so much clearer.

The strength of the hp1000 is that the sound of the instruments have actual weight, you can feel the notes. Solo recordings are thick and throaty. This is coupled with its total-lack of any coloration is why it does so well with jazz, opera and acoustic genres. 

 

The upgraded hp1000 with new pads, is significantly clearer, with higher and lower extension - the separation between instruments is now defined. I wouldn't say that it bests any of the top tier, but it matches them and that coupled with it's already impressive dynamics and neutrality - it is a perfect vision of what headphones (vs speakers) are capable of. 

 

This is why I now regard the hp2is (as it is been nicknamed), above the srO, He90 and R10. I love all of those headphones though, and wish they were all in production :(.

 
post #113 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguru View Post

 

Problem for me with the stock hp1000 is that it is a bit congested compared to some other top tier headphones. It sounds a bit slow, instruments are not as well separated. Compared to the hd800, the hd800 seems so much clearer.

The strength of the hp1000 is that the sound of the instruments have actual weight, you can feel the notes. Solo recordings are thick and throaty. This is coupled with its total-lack of any coloration is why it does so well with jazz, opera and acoustic genres. 

 

The upgraded hp1000 with new pads, is significantly clearer, with higher and lower extension - the separation between instruments is now defined. I wouldn't say that it bests any of the top tier, but it matches them and that coupled with it's already impressive dynamics and neutrality - it is a perfect vision of what headphones (vs speakers) are capable of. 

 

This is why I now regard the hp2is (as it is been nicknamed), above the srO, He90 and R10. I love all of those headphones though, and wish they were all in production :(.

 

 

I've spent a bit of time with a stock HP-1000 and those same phones with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable, and the congestion cleared up nicely with the silver cable.  Comparing those same re-cabled HP-1000 vs my HF-2 made the HF-2's upper mids sound more colored and less natural/realistic, with a smaller soundstage despite bowls with HF-2 and flats with the HP-1000.

 

My ranking in order of preference, with a few ties, might be as follows (subject to change upon a whim)...

 

1) SR-009

2) SR-omega

3) SR-007

3) HE-90

4) R-10

5) HE-60

5) HD-800

6) HP-1000

6) HE-6

6) K1000

7) LA7000

7) HE-500

8) LCD-2

8) HE-5 LE

8) RS-1

9) PS-1000

10) HF-2

10) HD600

post #114 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

Wow, that's saying something!

 

Even though I listed them 1-4, I sort of feel like they're all just one big group of headphones I really enjoy. I forgot to add the 010 in there but I never had a great head fit and I tend to think it sounds a bit tin.

 The hp1000 was in that group, it had its weak points and its strong points. A reason to like it and a reason to like something better - just like any of the others. The r10 and he90 are pretty colored. The sr-Omega is not as accurate as the sr-omega II, the sr-omega II is a little bit too warm... hd800 is too bright .... hp1000 is a little slow and congested... but they're all excellent headphones that do something no other headphone can replicate as well.

But now that the hp1000 has corrected most of its issues, it is that slight click better overall.\

post #115 of 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chefguru View Post

Even though I listed them 1-4, I sort of feel like they're all just one big group of headphones I really enjoy. I forgot to add the 010 in there but I never had a great head fit and I tend to think it sounds a bit tin.

 The hp1000 was in that group, it had its weak points and its strong points. A reason to like it and a reason to like something better - just like any of the others. The r10 and he90 are pretty colored. The sr-Omega is not as accurate as the sr-omega II, the sr-omega II is a little bit too warm... hd800 is too bright .... hp1000 is a little slow and congested... but they're all excellent headphones that do something no other headphone can replicate as well.

But now that the hp1000 has corrected most of its issues, it is that slight click better overall.\

 

I think my HD414-bowl pads could help on that.

post #116 of 173

To me the different between the stock HP1000 and upgraded HP1000 are very, very noticeable. So much so that a gentleman in a meet thought that they were too " forward" compared to his stock HP1. I have done that AB many times at home. Everything seems to have more clarity with the upgrade: the bass has more texture; the mid has more body. The imaging also improved. That is without the new earpads. I can't do that comparison anymore since I sent my last (fourth) stock pair to Joe for the upgrade. I should receive them with the new earpads soon. Can't wait. 

I think comparing top headphones is a tricky business. They all sound different. The HP1/2i is high up on my list on sound quality but I can't wear them all day- they are heavy!

post #117 of 173
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

 

 

 

Congested? The HP2? I can't believe... they are the most open (real open) dynamic cans I have owned to date...
All the others Grados are congested in comparison, think to the RS1 f.e.and others...
Most of the new headphones have a "artificial soundstage" that give the false sensation fo openess, but they are totally unnatural (for example the HD800) (IMHO)... 

Edited by Nik - 5/14/12 at 1:15am
post #118 of 173

Dear Nik,  Im starting to get sorrow that I never give them enough time to understand /learn them better, but to me K1000 are the most realistic ear speakers I tride, but because we are talking about Grado, I must say I trust you and your ears, because I know this, not from somebody else, from my own. If you may remember, when you post about AVVT 300B C37 tubes, you wrote that they were the best for Cary amp and I fully agree, thanks for that, I found an pair and compared to differ tubes and my conclusion is the same. 

 

Good to see you around again:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post

 

 

post #119 of 173
Thread Starter 
Thanks, dear!
As you know I had one of the most outstanding K1000 setup, yes they was incredibile, but especially for those who do not have speakers, when I bought speakers, I have sold the K1000 setup and built a new setup around the fantastic HP2is, the HP1000 are HEADPHONES, nothing more ... !!
Best!
Nik
post #120 of 173

My dear Nik, same here, sold my lovely K1000 after I bought Tannoys and now I am going to listen to you my friend, will look for an pair of the HEADPHONES to compliment my British friends.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik View Post

Thanks, dear!
As you know I had one of the most outstanding K1000 setup, yes they was incredibile, but especially for those who do not have speakers, when I bought speakers, I have sold the K1000 setup and built a new setup around the fantastic HP2is, the HP1000 are HEADPHONES, nothing more ... !!
Best!
Nik
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: High-end Audio Forum
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Summit-Fi (High-End Audio) › High-end Audio Forum › My new Joseph Grado HP2i & HP2is