Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread - Page 662

post #9916 of 10418
BBI (brain burn in). Looking forward to mine they should be delivered this Friday. Here's to hoping for a perfect fit out of the gate.
post #9917 of 10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by palm101 View Post

I received my JH13 Pro over the weekend and I am underwhelmed. 



 



Firstly, there is excessive cable noise, be it walking (thump, thump from my footsteps) or just turn my head even slightly. Not sure if it is due to fit issues or otherwise. The seal is good, meaning I cannot hear sound around me. I did wear them as instructed, twisting the earpiece in and then pushing it into the ears.



 



Next, the sound quality is not what I expected. I'm not sure how to explain it, perhaps the best word is, it sounds congested. Not the airy, sparkly sound when I demo the universal JH13. Also, the mids sounds recessed. I listen them from an iPhone 5s. Again, this might be fit issues.



 



Bear in mind, I came from Westone4 (the older ones without replacement cable) and with comply largest and longest foam tips.



 



What should I do next, refit?

 



Really hard to say, I personally dont blame every possible fault on refits like some do (not implying you, but others here on head-fi.)

I have compared the w4 with the jh13 and the jh13 is definately more foreward and "close" to you compared to the w4, which could be the cause of the "congested" sound. The w4's more "distant" sound could offer the interpretation of more room to breath and space in the sound, or less congestion. But while the jh13 is a "full"
sounding phone that hase a close presentation, i wouldn't describe it as congested.

I was underwhelmed with the jh16 the first time i had it, and it was because i had built up an expectation in my mind that it was going to be miles ahead of my jh5, and it was only slightly better. WELCOME TO THE GRAND ILLUSION! While the jh13 and jh16 are better than my jh5, it is only very slightly better and could be attributed fully to preferance rather than technical ability (in my opinion). The same could be said for the w4 vs jh13.

Id say give it some more time. Only send for refit if it breaks seal or gets uncomfortable after long periods.
post #9918 of 10418

The First and The Only in Indonesia (and probably in the world): Super Special Order "One Sided" JH13Pro !! 

 

 

"One-Sided" JH13Pro

 

"One-Sided" JH13Pro

 

 

p.s: Yeah, it has 12 drivers inside and produce stereo sound.

post #9919 of 10418
I'm so confused. What's the point of stereo sound in one ear? and what's the point of only one side with 2 sets of drivers?
post #9920 of 10418
Maybe not much for a point. It is possible that maybe the poster is unable to hear in the other ear?
post #9921 of 10418
You still get mono sound but at least you get both sides. Pretty cool of JH to do this for them if that's the case.
post #9922 of 10418
It appears that it is playing stereo sound, both left and right however only in one ear. If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it does it make a sound...??? This would be similar to placing a set of stereo speakers in a room the sound is still stereo coming from the speakers and also is from the ciem, however if the person can only hear in one ear...
post #9923 of 10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernel8888 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by palm101 View Post
 

I received my JH13 Pro over the weekend and I am underwhelmed. 

 

 

 

Firstly, there is excessive cable noise, be it walking (thump, thump from my footsteps) or just turn my head even slightly. Not sure if it is due to fit issues or otherwise. The seal is good, meaning I cannot hear sound around me. I did wear them as instructed, twisting the earpiece in and then pushing it into the ears.

 

 

 

Next, the sound quality is not what I expected. I'm not sure how to explain it, perhaps the best word is, it sounds congested. Not the airy, sparkly sound when I demo the universal JH13. Also, the mids sounds recessed. I listen them from an iPhone 5s. Again, this might be fit issues.

 

 

 

Bear in mind, I came from Westone4 (the older ones without replacement cable) and with comply largest and longest foam tips.

 

 

 

What should I do next, refit?

 



Really hard to say, I personally dont blame every possible fault on refits like some do (not implying you, but others here on head-fi.)

I have compared the w4 with the jh13 and the jh13 is definately more foreward and "close" to you compared to the w4, which could be the cause of the "congested" sound. The w4's more "distant" sound could offer the interpretation of more room to breath and space in the sound, or less congestion. But while the jh13 is a "full"
sounding phone that hase a close presentation, i wouldn't describe it as congested.

I was underwhelmed with the jh16 the first time i had it, and it was because i had built up an expectation in my mind that it was going to be miles ahead of my jh5, and it was only slightly better. WELCOME TO THE GRAND ILLUSION! While the jh13 and jh16 are better than my jh5, it is only very slightly better and could be attributed fully to preferance rather than technical ability (in my opinion). The same could be said for the w4 vs jh13.

Id say give it some more time. Only send for refit if it breaks seal or gets uncomfortable after long periods.

I guess it's all preference but I wouldn't automatically lump the 13 and 16 together. For instance, every reviewer in the CIEM challenge that heard both generally thought the 13 best of all tried at the time and the 16 out of the running. I would enjoy the 5 more than as the 16 due to to the 16 having a less natural balanced, even though it can be more informative. When I purchased, my decision was to either save some money and get one of the best values on the market in the JH5 or get what I felt was the best phone at the time, JH13. The 16 was never a consideration of mine, though I do understand why some like so much.

post #9924 of 10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post

It appears that it is playing stereo sound, both left and right however only in one ear. If a tree falls in the woods and no one hears it does it make a sound...??? This would be similar to placing a set of stereo speakers in a room the sound is still stereo coming from the speakers and also is from the ciem, however if the person can only hear in one ear...

Most DAPs/phones don't have a mono button. How else to hear everything? :smile:

post #9925 of 10418
I only lumped them together because of the fact that they are incredibly similar (apart from the bass) but that was exactly my point, is that you can enjoy and prefer the jh5 and w4 to "totl" models based on preference.
post #9926 of 10418

Hey guys, going to order my CIEM from JH soon :D, about time. Anyone have any suggestions on good designs? I've been trying these two and I think they look nice. Not very good, but not that bad either.

 

Which one should I go with?

 

I also see that TheMiddleSky's single-sided iem has a goldish flavor. That looks pretty cool imo

 

 

 

Anyone have actual photos of their JH CIEM lying around? :beerchug:

post #9927 of 10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernel8888 View Post

I only lumped them together because of the fact that they are incredibly similar (apart from the bass) but that was exactly my point, is that you can enjoy and prefer the jh5 and w4 to "totl" models based on preference.


You can like anything more than another based on preference but the W4 and jh5 are not in the same qualitative league as a jh13fp IMO.

post #9928 of 10418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaheadlin View Post
 

Hey guys, going to order my CIEM from JH soon :D, about time. Anyone have any suggestions on good designs? I've been trying these two and I think they look nice. Not very good, but not that bad either.

 

Which one should I go with?

 

I also see that TheMiddleSky's single-sided iem has a goldish flavor. That looks pretty cool imo

 

 

 

Anyone have actual photos of their JH CIEM lying around? :beerchug:

 

Not sure this helps, but I thought about this for a while prior to choosing mine. And it came down to two thoughts:

1) Do I want to try and hide that they are in?

 - See James from Metallica at the recent Grammy performance (not sure that these are JHA's but you get the idea)

metallica-grammy-awards-performance-2014.jpg

 

2) .. or if I don't go that route... do I want them to be a conversation piece or more remain subtle? It's all a matter of preference I guess.

 

I went with black transparent with black sirens... kind of like removing the model number from your car. 

You know. And people that know ... know.

post #9929 of 10418

I think someone should take a picture of their ear opening and make it the custom artwork, LOL.

post #9930 of 10418

Just reporting back.

 

Sound quality is great. Great clarity. Previous impression of congestion could be due to poor source. Perhaps inherent in the CD.

 

Existing dac/amp iBasso d7 has too high gain for the jh13. At 9 o'clock, it is just soft enough for my comfort without getting into channel imbalance. Tried the JDS C5D yesterday and liked it with mid bass boast and iPhone 5s and CCK.

 

Cable noise still bothering me. Any recommendations for nice replacement cable with low mechanical noise? Perhaps something without memory wire.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread