Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread - Page 647

post #9691 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by stvc View Post

Debit card will do, No need to credit card. I order from JH web as well, Jaben price are way higher.
I gather that you need a bank account to do this? I can't use my a/c cos it's a children's a/c so it locked until I'm 18. I can't tell my parents either cos they would be like : oh Sean you're wasting so much money on this. You will have less pocket money from now on. ( yes the torture of having asian parents ) so basically I can't use debit. If only there's a way to anonymously deliver money to JH

Edit: my bad. I forgot about money orders. Does anyone know how a money order works and if JHA will accept a money order?
Edited by lookingforIEMs - 10/14/13 at 7:11am
post #9692 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforIEMs View Post


I gather that you need a bank account to do this? I can't use my a/c cos it's a children's a/c so it locked until I'm 18. I can't tell my parents either cos they would be like : oh Sean you're wasting so much money on this. You will have less pocket money from now on. ( yes the torture of having asian parents ) so basically I can't use debit. If only there's a way to anonymously deliver money to JH

Edit: my bad. I forgot about money orders. Does anyone know how a money order works and if JHA will accept a money order?

No idea.. i order with credit card.. get someone that you know and order for you?

post #9693 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforIEMs View Post

I gather that you need a bank account to do this? I can't use my a/c cos it's a children's a/c so it locked until I'm 18. I can't tell my parents either cos they would be like : oh Sean you're wasting so much money on this. You will have less pocket money from now on. ( yes the torture of having asian parents ) so basically I can't use debit. If only there's a way to anonymously deliver money to JH

Edit: my bad. I forgot about money orders. Does anyone know how a money order works and if JHA will accept a money order?

In the US you can buy pre-paid debit cards from companies like Visa. You buy it at retail like a gift card, but it is processed as a debit card so it works anywhere that accepts credit cards. Perhaps that's an option where you live?
post #9694 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattwardfh View Post

In the US you can buy pre-paid debit cards from companies like Visa. You buy it at retail like a gift card, but it is processed as a debit card so it works anywhere that accepts credit cards. Perhaps that's an option where you live?
I'm not sure yet cos in Singapore the main mode of payment is through the National Electronic Transfer System ( NETS) and NETS is linked to our bank accounts. Perhaps I will enquire with the card companies here if I could purchase a debit card from them. Btw guys is it safer to buy from jaben or to buy from JH directly? Cos I can save about $800 if I buy directly from JH during the Black Friday sale next year
post #9695 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by fkrieger View Post
 

First post: 

I have been following this thread for a while and recently (beginning of Sept) ordered a pair of JH13 Pro IEMs. When I recently read about the Roxanne there was hesitation to perhaps change my order, but from everything I read it sounds like the JH13 should suit me just fine. Thanks to all who post on here re: the JH13. Really very helpful information and adds to the anticipation of finally getting a pair! I'll post a pic when they arrive (hopefully soon!). Thanks again.

 

Re: the post by songmic... I'd be interested in the board's thoughts on this as well. I plan to drive the JH13's with my iphone or an iPod Classic 5. I will be in Japan in November, so am wondering if I can pick up a Sony PHA-2 perhaps. Not sure if it will be available at that point. 

 

This "hobby" is addictive isn't it? More like "obsession" now that the JH13's are pending... ;) 

 

 

Mine arrived today. There have been many write ups on how well these sound, so I'll spare the group too much. I really wanted to thank everyone. Reading this board has been so cool. This post is meant to provide some insight for those who may be on the fence for a purchase of JH 13's (and have nothing to compare the sound to, as we have not trialed multiple high end IEMs).

 

Background:

I am coming from Shure e4c's that I've had for some time. Primary listening has been my iPhone or an older iPod (Gen 5? 160GB) that I loaded only with lossless content. Genres range from Jazz (Modal, Bebop, Ellington) to Electronica (Oakenfold, Jimmy van M, Paul van Dyke) to Rock (Wolf Parade, Broken Social Scene, Animal Collective, etc.) to more vocal (Moonface <-Spencer Krug, Beach Boys, etc.).

 

When I first purchased the e4c's they were so cool. I remember walking the dog and being a little freaked that I could hear myself breathe. The sound was great. I have been happy with both the light weight and toughness of them ever since. They are a really good product (have used them for years for running, in planes, etc.)

 

Today

Ummm. How do I put this? 

 

It's not even close. The sound out of the JH13's is so clear that I am now listening to albums I have not in years.. and am not bored in the least. Whereas music that I have heard 600 times in the past once comprised of familiar sound... now has a "newness" about it. Instruments that once existed in the song almost as filler for whatever had the lead in the song now actively participate. The entire band has purpose and drive and direction within the song itself. It's really cool.

 

Caveat:

Given the comparison of Shure E4c's to JH13's isn't fair. I get that. But again, what I am trying to do is relate to those that have read about the JH 13 and can not compare versus other TOTL IEMs.

 

Example:

First album I listened to was "Moon Safari" by the French Band Air. "Air" begins with "A" so that's where I started. ;) 

Source was a rip of my CD from years ago and probably my first lossless rip to my Gen 5?6? ipod.

 

In La Femme d'Argent when the "rain" comes in (around minute 4) and the bass is lightly playing in front of it... I can hear an extremely slight tap of the cymbals to the left- as if the drum was keeping time within that segment. WHAT?! I've listened to this album so many times and never had such clarity.

 

Smiles. That's all I can say. All smiles with these things on. It's just so fun to listen to music that has been un-loved for so many years with a new sense of focus. 

post #9696 of 10487

wait 100+hours :bigsmile_face:

post #9697 of 10487

Edited


Edited by TenMoonsNorth - 10/15/13 at 5:42am
post #9698 of 10487

4 years with my JH13s and I remember the day I first heard them.

 

Still glad I have them.  Glued the TWaG cable to the shell for fear of losing them.  I would cry if I lost one.

 

Fit and seal is still great. Just wonder if I need the Freq sync upgrade??

 

Enjoy your new listening pleasure.  Doesn't it feel like there is an armature for each instrument?

 

Regards

 

Sceptre

post #9699 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMoonsNorth View Post
 

Got my JH13s today and I have a problem. My left Jh13 is noticeably quieter than my right one.

 

I have tested this by doing the following:

 

Using a 1khz test tone I hold the ciem up to my right ear (not inserting it) and compare the volumes. The left one is quieter and in general all audio seems as if it is shifted right of center which is what you expect to happen if the right ciem is louder than the other.

 

I have tested this with my O2/ODAC and Clip+ and the left ciem is consistently quieter than the right one. Secondly, there is no ear wax build up or anything blocking the tubes.

 

Really, I'm quite disappointed because I've had to wait more than a month for these and they have a loudness imbalance.

 

Edit: Hand Held audio have been very accommodating so far. It looks as if it may be a manufacturing fault.

Use another source just to certain but it's likely a bore. Happens more than you think on first CIEM use. Make sure you didn't already block one with wax and if not, physically manipulate the low one to see if you can get more sound. That would indicate your ear geometry requires a different length nozzle or bore placement. It could just be down from shipping but it's less likely than what are unfortunately, common fit issues for all IEMs.


Edited by goodvibes - 10/15/13 at 5:46am
post #9700 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes View Post
 

Use another source just to certain but it's likely a bore. Happens more than you think on first CIEM use. Make sure you didn't already block one with wax and if not, physically manipulate the low one to see if you can get more sound. That would indicate your ear geometry requires a different length nozzle or bore placement. It could just be down from shipping but it's less likely than what are unfortunately, common fit issues for all IEMs.


It's not a fit issue and I deliberately accounted for this. I tested by listening to them outside my ears at the same distance from my ear hole. The left one is noticeably quieter and the nozzle length appears to be about the same. I did the same test for 500hz and 3khz and the left CIEM is noticeably quieter. Could it possibly be a cable issue? The connectors are strongly connected inside the CIEMs.

 

On closer inspection of my left JH13 there appeared to be a small bubble of liquid in the middle pipe. With some careful work I removed this and the balance seems to have shifted back to the center. How that bubble of liquid managed to get so far up that tube is beyond me but the very important lesson I have learnt is always have completely dry ears.


Edited by TenMoonsNorth - 10/15/13 at 6:36am
post #9701 of 10487

:bigsmile_face:

post #9702 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforIEMs View Post

I'm not sure yet cos in Singapore the main mode of payment is through the National Electronic Transfer System ( NETS) and NETS is linked to our bank accounts. Perhaps I will enquire with the card companies here if I could purchase a debit card from them. Btw guys is it safer to buy from jaben or to buy from JH directly? Cos I can save about $800 if I buy directly from JH during the Black Friday sale next year

I'm from HK and bought directly from JH Audio, transaction was smooth and used my credit card without any problem.
post #9703 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenMoonsNorth View Post
 


It's not a fit issue and I deliberately accounted for this. I tested by listening to them outside my ears at the same distance from my ear hole. The left one is noticeably quieter and the nozzle length appears to be about the same. I did the same test for 500hz and 3khz and the left CIEM is noticeably quieter. Could it possibly be a cable issue? The connectors are strongly connected inside the CIEMs.

 

On closer inspection of my left JH13 there appeared to be a small bubble of liquid in the middle pipe. With some careful work I removed this and the balance seems to have shifted back to the center. How that bubble of liquid managed to get so far up that tube is beyond me but the very important lesson I have learnt is always have completely dry ears.


I generally keep my SE5 sound tubes facing down just to make sure no crude makes its way up the sound tubes. This is of course when not using them. Also consider getting a dryer. I used it on my 1Plus2 and it definitely improved them. I had never used the dryer on them and when I did the sound opened up more. Seemed more balanced than before. Like as if the sound was getting duller for some reason? I've had this happen before especially on the IE8/IE80s.


Edited by lee730 - 10/22/13 at 9:23pm
post #9704 of 10487

Hi all, 

 

I'm planning on making the JH13Pro my first CIEM very soon, and I was hoping y'all could help me out with a few quick questions:

 

- Assuming a good fit, how comfortable are the JH13Pros compared to supra-aural headphones like the DT1350? The reason I ask is because I am coming from the DT1350, which I found were a little uncomfortable after long periods of use. I understand it might be difficult to compare the comfort levels of such differently designed headphones though...

- Is the JH13Pro great with the AK120? If so, I will pick up the AK120 too

- Lastly, how good is the stock cable that comes with the JH13Pro? Should I get an aftermarket cable? If so, which would you recommend? 

 

I would really appreciate any help with the above questions. Cheers in advance!  

post #9705 of 10487
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyston23 View Post
 

Hi all, 

 

I'm planning on making the JH13Pro my first CIEM very soon, and I was hoping y'all could help me out with a few quick questions:

 

- Assuming a good fit, how comfortable are the JH13Pros compared to supra-aural headphones like the DT1350? The reason I ask is because I am coming from the DT1350, which I found were a little uncomfortable after long periods of use. I understand it might be difficult to compare the comfort levels of such differently designed headphones though...

- Is the JH13Pro great with the AK120? If so, I will pick up the AK120 too

- Lastly, how good is the stock cable that comes with the JH13Pro? Should I get an aftermarket cable? If so, which would you recommend? 

 

I would really appreciate any help with the above questions. Cheers in advance!  

FWIW I keep my new JH13's in my ear most of the day. I bought the cable with the mic about 3 days after getting them (and the original cable) in order to use them for conf. calls, etc. I am on the phone much of the day and travel for work a bunch... so I think that cable will be my primary pretty much. That said, I still have the original cable and keep it in the metal case that the JH13's came in.

 

Net: The fit of the ear phone is really good. It's comfortable. The earphones are not too heavy. I take them out when not on calls (or leave one ear in) to provide my ears a rest, but for the most part I just leave them in b/c they block out a lot of sounds that can distract me when working at my desk at home.

 

Source: Sort of like you I'm starting to do my due diligence on the source. The immediate slap in the face on how clear music can be has now got me thinking- what could it be if I listened with a better source? I currently use an iPhone 4S which plays .flac files via a free player I downloaded out of iTunes. These flacs are cut down by the internal DAC... so aren't the 24-bit that they could be... The decision now: Buy an external DAC+AMP (i.e. something like the Sony PHA-2, hifi-M8, etc.) or get a dedicated DAP (AK120, etc.).

 

Cable: Although a complete noob (take whatever I say with a grain of salt) I *think I can* hear a difference between the cable that does not have the mic (that which came with the IEMs originally) and that which I bought a few days later from JHA. I am probably the last person who should be writing an A/B compare, but the cable without the mic sounds a little more "full" or brings a little more sound stage to the music. The cable with the mic sounds a little more thin.

- The compare I am using is a flac of Radiohead "Everything in Its Right Place" ... samples of Thom Yorke's voice -> when the bass imitates-> where the drums start -> voice

Although both present the music clearly, the original cables seem more fun. Less surgical perhaps?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread