Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread - Page 306

post #4576 of 10335
I just got my refits yesterday and noticed that they did a little more than what I asked by making the stems real short. I wanted a tiny bit reduction on right side but they had a major hair cut on both sides. On a positive note it is now extremely comfortable, like I am not wearing anything...It only takes a second to insert or remove the ear pieces, too.

I may have lost some of the seals as my stems are really short but I didn't notice any difference in bass response but I need more time to examine...

Can I ask is it normal to have microphonics with jh13? What's the best way to reduce it? (I do run or walk a lot with ear phone on)
post #4577 of 10335
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj-kun View Post
so were u guys(aussies) hit with customs fees at all when u got jh|13's?
I heard it's not that bad, because Jerry marks the monitors as really low in price. So you don't get charged much.
post #4578 of 10335

No irritation at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
I would be asking myself - how badly does it irritate skin after constant contact?
It is orderless and smooth. The chinese are covering submarines with it and I put it on my Brown Jordash lawn furniture 10 years ago and it looks new. I know it will also seal concrete and wood. It can be used as a stain guard for furniture and carpet. I put it on some steel and it won't rust. I put it on my tools and nothing sticks to them.
post #4579 of 10335
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSatelliteGuy View Post
It is orderless and smooth. The chinese are covering submarines with it and I put it on my Brown Jordash lawn furniture 10 years ago and it looks new. I know it will also seal concrete and wood. It can be used as a stain guard for furniture and carpet. I put it on some steel and it won't rust. I put it on my tools and nothing sticks to them.
So how are you planning on applying this? Isn't it kinda risky b/c the liquid may flow through the holes?
post #4580 of 10335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post

Can I ask is it normal to have microphonics with jh13? What's the best way to reduce it? (I do run or walk a lot with ear phone on)
Most the microphonics come from the memory wire part rubbing against the side of your head, ears, or as in my case, the temples of glasses.

Try bending them out a bit, so that they are not directly touching, or rubbing up against anything.

-Ed
post #4581 of 10335
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
So how are you planning on applying this? Isn't it kinda risky b/c the liquid may flow through the holes?
Just use a small brush, rag, or sponge. You just want the surface to be clean as it will always look just like it looked when you put it on. Put it on a dirty cable and there you go, dirty cable for ever. It is water based so when the water evaporates it leaves a rubber silicone coating. Just on the cables not on the ear pieces. Just do not get it on the jacks. It will not conduct. The owner also sells this stuff to electronic component companies that seal finished pc boards with it for a water seal. I was going to work with them but I was not willing to give up what I had to run with their business plan and structure. Small company mentality.
post #4582 of 10335
Where can I get this solution? So once it's on, you can never take it off? Are you planning on covering the entire ear pieces? I may consider applying around the stem to make tighter seal.

btw - @edwood, tks for your tips.
post #4583 of 10335
Just got these a few hours ago.

First impressions aren't blowing me away, but that's expected considering my background. I've worked in high end studios with world class monitoring/acoustics.

My home setup is humble by comparison, but I've put some effort into getting an accurate mixing environment. The image at the mixing position is very tight and focused and the sound is extremely punchy and fast. Based on some of the reviews here, I was expecting something similar but that's not the case.

With that said, these are definitely the most accurate and revealing IEMs I've ever heard (or any other phones for that matter). I believe I'll be able to use them as an additional mixing reference once I get used to their sound signature. Definitely a pleasure to listen to casually too. Worth the asking price? I'll have to think about that one, but that's just me.

Other impressions so far: Seems a little edgy around 7-8K with some material, but on most recordings I'm not hearing it. Does not sound flat to me frequency response-wise, but I need to hear it on other equipment to make a firm judgment. I'm not hearing as much content below 30Hz as some full range speaker systems. However, it's there and seems very tight and controlled. Easy to drive. Doesn't seem dependent on specialized amplification but I haven't listened to many yet.

They are not as forgiving as some have said on these boards, but that's fine by me!! However, I agree with others about the listener's perspective of distance. They don't sound as "in your head" as much as I would have expected, which may or may not be a good thing in my case. I tend to prefer that up-front sound, so I may have to compensate for that for mixing purposes. Otherwise, the less up-front sound is less fatiguing sometimes, so I'm on the fence with it.

Materials:

Asked for a black cable, got a silver one.
No problems with fit; they seal well and there's no pain.
The finish on them is very smooth; no bumps felt or visible bubbles.
Specified transparent blue. Was lighter than expected but looks fine.
Cable's too short as is the "Y" distance from the ear pieces.
Travel case is much more durable than expected; very nice.
The cleaning tool was included, as was the pouch.
Total time from sending impressions to getting the product was 15 days.
post #4584 of 10335
I see someone have jh13 nozzle with one hole and someone with two holes. What is better?
post #4585 of 10335
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_sure View Post
I see someone have jh13 nozzle with one hole and someone with two holes. What is better?
Who has them with one sound tube??
post #4586 of 10335
This was dealt with earlier in the thread.
It depends on how narrow your ear canal is.

Two is preferred.

Regards

Sceptre
post #4587 of 10335
Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTan View Post
Just got these a few hours ago.

First impressions aren't blowing me away
Yep, my first impression also. After 20 hours or so my impression changed. I find them very flat and neutral and revealing of amp and source. It will be interesting to read of your further interpretation of the sound you are hearing. Yes, I agree, the Y is too short and the cable could be a little longer.

Listening to Buddy Guy, "Blues Singer", excellent.
post #4588 of 10335
My JH13Pro didn't blow me away at first either (but neither did my ES3X), but over time I found that they are both better than the majority of full size dynamic headphones. The JH13Pro were too neutral and flat and natural sounding to impress one right away with "big bass" or "shimmering highs"; but after I spent time with them with some of my best sources and amps it was very clear that they were not coloring the sound but simply presenting it as it should be with utter clarity, transparency and realism. Now I can close my eyes and be transported to the performance when listening to them. They definitely scale up with your gear, and will let you hear the improvements as your gear is upgraded.
post #4589 of 10335
Wow - I got lucky.
Jerry's JH13's dropped my jaw the very first day
(must have had my 4G Nano / ALO SXC LOD / Mustang rig set up just right for them)

- changing to JH13 from my beloved W3's!

My first impression was that the JH13's (in my rig / to my ears-brain) simultaneously brought the lows, mids, and highs "into complete focus".

Sounded (to me) like I was in a state-of-the-art mixing studio, listening to the final production mix.

I remember, early on, being "hit" with the way the JH13's render percussion (especially Tom-Toms & Kick drum shots) - it's astounding - the impact is surreal.

The tips on my 13's did however, seem "sharp" for the first day or two (during insertion) - then, fit well with no discomfort thereafter (think my ears adjusted to the tips - no other explanation seems to make sense)
post #4590 of 10335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 View Post
Wow - I got lucky.
Jerry's JH13's dropped my jaw the very first day
(must have had my 4G Nano / ALO SXC LOD / Mustang rig set up just right for them)

- changing to JH13 from my beloved W3's!

My first impression was that the JH13's (in my rig / to my ears-brain) simultaneously brought the lows, mids, and highs "into complete focus".

Sounded (to me) like I was in a state-of-the-art mixing studio, listening to the final production mix.

I remember, early on, being "hit" with the way the JH13's render percussion (especially Tom-Toms & Kick drum shots) - it's astounding - the impact is surreal.

The tips on my 13's did however, seem "sharp" for the first day or two (during insertion) - then, fit well with no discomfort thereafter (think my ears adjusted to the tips - no other explanation seems to make sense)
I was listening to some Grateful Dead last night that had drums that shook my head. The bass went so low and so resounding I couldn't believe it. It was far superior to any of my headphones and I am still amazed at the depth and articulation of the bass with absolutely no smearing into the upper bass or loss of speed to the sound.

From source to amp: iRiver H140 in lossless, iBasso D10, RSA Shadow, JH 13 Pro.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread