Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread - Page 205

post #3061 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigon_ridge View Post
Oh yeahh. Thanks for reminding me. Now I remember Ricey's impression/comparison. Wow... I think I've partially come to my conclusion of my purchase decision. It's probably going to be the JH - nope, the ES3X. Seems like while the JH13 is technically superior, a few are noting that they don't emphasize the mids like the ES3X does (Westone meant for the ES3X's function to be somewhere in between for studio monitoring and audiophile listening); and I recall at least a couple ES3X owners (HPA and someone else) commented on the ES3X's magical mids. Most of the music that I listen to is oriental and is vocal-centric. The oriental string instruments in my favorite music vibrate mostly in the mids. Pila, I can imagine that from all of these impressions in this thread, you'd probably have enjoyed the JH13's more. :P

I haven't totally made up my mind, at least, until the good man posts his impressions and comparisons.
That sounds like a very reasonable decision making process.
post #3062 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post
Oh, I think I've finally solved the puzzle:

JH13 --> meant for those aged 13+
ES3X --> meant for those aged 30+ and the elderly :-) <---- smiley
kids have more $$$ these days anyways... mommy jh-13's for christmas???? PWEEEASSEEE!!?!??!?!?!
post #3063 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 View Post
Oh, I think I've finally solved the puzzle:

JH13 --> meant for those aged 13+
ES3X --> meant for those aged 30+ and the elderly :-) <---- smiley
ES3X = Smarter, more thoughtful and with higher qualities???
JH13 = Funnier and less complicated???
post #3064 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elluzion View Post
kids have more $$$ these days anyways... mommy jh-13's for christmas???? PWEEEASSEEE!!?!??!?!?!
"MOMMM!!!! IT"S GOT SIX DRIVERS AND AND AND AND AND UM IT"S A THREE WAY CROSSOVER WITH LASER GUNS THAT SHOOT ALIENS THAT CAN KEEP OUT BURGERS SO THE HOUSE IS SAFE AND AND IT"S ONLY $700 more THEN THE JH-5!!!!" Elluzion
post #3065 of 10479
Dave I am linking you're post to the first post right now.
post #3066 of 10479
Interesting, not many have posted lately after receiving their 13's.

Listening right now with the Monica II dac, lossless and it is like listening to silk, Lucinda Williams, West, "Rescue".
post #3067 of 10479
lol music that was funny.....too bad I can't listen to my rig right now because of my wisdom teeth surgery I had yesterday. Guess I won't be able to have more aural sex for a day or two.
post #3068 of 10479
Can anyone compare the JH-13 with the ER4P?

I've owned the Etymotic ER4P for almost a decade, but for various reasons haven't used them much in years. I've always wanted a custom-fit monitor, but I've never felt it was a justified expenditure until recently. I've read this whole thread and have done my homework, and I feel this is a specific enough question to warrant asking. Let me try to explain what I like about the ER4P as a frame of reference, and then I'm hoping some folks who own the JH-13 can help me with a comparison.

I listen mostly to classical, and mostly through speakers. For me, classical of all genres is the most difficult to "get right". The ER4P I find to be extremely good. I dug my pair out recently and gave it a whirl with a Vierne organ symphony (Ben van Oosten on MD&G), and it all came back to me. That symphony can sound "mushy" through a less-than-perfect audio system or with any background noise interfering. But with the isolation and detail of the ER4P, I could hear all the nuances of the instrument through the reverberation of the church. The movement of the stops, the subtle shading of the registers, and so forth. For music like this, being able to resolve all of that information makes the difference between truly listening to it and not listening to it at all, if you know what I mean. I am one of those folks who thinks that the ER4P is very bass-deficient. For me, bass is the Achilles Heel of the Etys. But I would much much rather headphone/speakers to lack bass then to have too much of it or for it to be at all muddy or loose. With the ER4P I feel like I'm getting a nearly transparent window into the recording, except that it's blocking out the bass. I'm not an equipment nut and haven't heard too many other headphones, but the ones I have heard are unsatisfying compared to the ER4P. Sennheiser HD600: horribly veiled. Beyerdynamic DT880: better but still quite veiled. Grado SR225: one of the most obviously colored transducers I've ever heard. AKG K501 (own): nothing special. Sony MDR-SA5000 (own): the most Ety-like of the lot and with better bass, but somehow colored.

So that brings me to my question. Will the JH-13 have the transparency (resolving power, lack of coloration, harmonic correctness, "nothing added") that I like about the ER4P? While reading this thread I've occasionally come across words like "warm", "fun", "forgiving", "laid-back", etc. For me these are usually (but not always) bad words. But then of course there have also been raves that would lead me to believe that the JH-13 puts the Etys quite in the shade in every single aspect of sound reproduction.

I'm sure someone will ask why I'm considering the purchase at all if I'm so happy with the Etys. In short, three reasons: (1) comfort, (2) microphonics, (3) bass.
post #3069 of 10479
Out of all the custom iem's out there I don't think there is any that are less colored or more neutral then the jh-13. I would not call them warm or laid back. Though forgiving I think is going to be used in the way of how they can sound amazing out of pretty much anything.
post #3070 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ephemere View Post
Can anyone compare the JH-13 with the ER4P?

I've owned the Etymotic ER4P for almost a decade, but for various reasons haven't used them much in years. I've always wanted a custom-fit monitor, but I've never felt it was a justified expenditure until recently. I've read this whole thread and have done my homework, and I feel this is a specific enough question to warrant asking. Let me try to explain what I like about the ER4P as a frame of reference, and then I'm hoping some folks who own the JH-13 can help me with a comparison.

I listen mostly to classical, and mostly through speakers. For me, classical of all genres is the most difficult to "get right". The ER4P I find to be extremely good. I dug my pair out recently and gave it a whirl with a Vierne organ symphony (Ben van Oosten on MD&G), and it all came back to me. That symphony can sound "mushy" through a less-than-perfect audio system or with any background noise interfering. But with the isolation and detail of the ER4P, I could hear all the nuances of the instrument through the reverberation of the church. The movement of the stops, the subtle shading of the registers, and so forth. For music like this, being able to resolve all of that information makes the difference between truly listening to it and not listening to it at all, if you know what I mean. I am one of those folks who thinks that the ER4P is very bass-deficient. For me, bass is the Achilles Heel of the Etys. But I would much much rather headphone/speakers to lack bass then to have too much of it or for it to be at all muddy or loose. With the ER4P I feel like I'm getting a nearly transparent window into the recording, except that it's blocking out the bass. I'm not an equipment nut and haven't heard too many other headphones, but the ones I have heard are unsatisfying compared to the ER4P. Sennheiser HD600: horribly veiled. Beyerdynamic DT880: better but still quite veiled. Grado SR225: one of the most obviously colored transducers I've ever heard. AKG K501 (own): nothing special. Sony MDR-SA5000 (own): the most Ety-like of the lot and with better bass, but somehow colored.

So that brings me to my question. Will the JH-13 have the transparency (resolving power, lack of coloration, harmonic correctness, "nothing added") that I like about the ER4P? While reading this thread I've occasionally come across words like "warm", "fun", "forgiving", "laid-back", etc. For me these are usually (but not always) bad words. But then of course there have also been raves that would lead me to believe that the JH-13 puts the Etys quite in the shade in every single aspect of sound reproduction.

I'm sure someone will ask why I'm considering the purchase at all if I'm so happy with the Etys. In short, three reasons: (1) comfort, (2) microphonics, (3) bass.
Though you may not be interested in the ES3X, you may find the following post by Rdr. Seraphim intersting/ useful -- he listens mostly to Classical music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim View Post
..... interesting that you should ask about a ER4 comparison. Another Head-Fi’er asked a similar question just after I received my ES3X. I meant to post something to this thread, so thanks for piquing my memory. Below are some of my observations of the ER4.

I started with the ER4P and later added the ER4P-24 adaptor cable that converts the 4P to a 4S. Comparisons between the 4P and 4S are very interesting, and deserve their own evaluation. Suffice to say, I only listen to the ER4 in its “S” configuration because--at least to these ears--they are more even, extended, and balanced, especially in that all important mid-range. However, I know that many people prefer the P version. If you can, try to audition them both ways.

Basically, I would describe the ER4 as an audiophile bargain. These still garner considerable attention on Head-Fi. There are seeming endless comparisons with other vendor’s IEMs, including Phonak Audeo, IE8, Shure, and yes, the veritable ES3X. A reference product? Certainly from the point of view of their longevity!

Driving the ER4's can be a challenge. These reminded me of my former Audio Physic Step SLE’s, a wonderful small loudspeaker that needed a bunch of current to get ‘em going. The ER4 (regardless of P or S version) need a good amp. I’m using my Pico DAC/Amp as I write this with wonderful results. (I switched over to the ER4S to write this response, listening to the Tallis Scholars singing Russian Orthodox Music, directed by Peter Philips. Mystical.)

One of the nice things about the ER4 is how they can be tweaked, extending SQ beyond its base configuration. Upgrade as your wallet allows! (Check out NC8000 and his Ety’s with the APureSound cables.)

The ER4P is a bit lumpy in the mid-bass for me, whereas the ER4S has an extended, flat low end, surprising when you least expect it. Mids are articulate and detailed, maybe a tad recessed in the lower mid-range. It's in the high's where the ER4's struggle, but I do not believe the transducer is at fault. Rather, it seems to be the different foam ear tips, and the seal, which in my experience effect the entire frequency spectrum. Depending on which ear tip is used, the highs often exhibit considerable sibilance. The deeper they were inserted, the better the ER4's sounded. Sometimes, they were magical. However, the audio rewards of proper insertion were sadly offset by painful ear canals. (Ouch!)

I ended up with custom ear molds from Westone (Style no. 34). This solved the problem with SQ variability, sibilance and pain (Ahhh...). Be sure to request deep molds--past the second bend.

The ER4 errs on the side of omission, rather than commission. They are a bit anemic, lean, and sometimes flat footed. In this way, the ER4 is unobtrusive and gets out of the way of the music. They are fairly dynamic, when driven properly. Other descriptors might include coherent, singular (single driver?), and continuous.

What the ER4 lack, the ES3X fill in, or reveal. Jump factor, fullness, air, openness, ambiance, and musical involvement the ES3X has in spades. Everything the ER4 has, the ES3X has, but more. Really, it’s difficult to describe, but a good analogy might be listening to my TMS-MXe loudspeakers sans the subwoofer. The Merlin TSM-MXe are flat to 55Hz with a gentle downward slope to 10db at 32Hz. There’s just enough oomph left to give heft and substance to the very low end. You’d hardly notice anything lacking if you didn’t know that it was there. Add the DD-10 subwoofer into the mix, and not only is the low end back where it should be, but the psychoacoustic affect on the soundstage, mid-range and high’s is freedom and openness. (Even my friend’s Revel Salons--flat to 32Hz, down 6db at 25Hz--benefit from his two linked subwoofers.)

Comparison of the ER4 with the ES3X? Good showing, but (IMHO), the ES3X is in another league.
post #3071 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8 View Post
Interesting, not many have posted lately after receiving their 13's.

Listening right now with the Monica II dac, lossless and it is like listening to silk, Lucinda Williams, West, "Rescue".
Too busy listening.
post #3072 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlanger View Post
Too busy listening.
Scared that they will sound crazy when they start raving so much about them, I'm sure.
post #3073 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by pila405 View Post
I must get a pair! Just to know how good they are...
Pila, the ES3X have a lot more to offer. Just check out a reference, desktop amp (Ok, you can't take it with you. But do consider how much of the time you're out, versus at home--studying, you'd better be studying ). You'll still have a flagship IEM, and a reference amplifier too! Then, you'll have lots of fun evaluating other headphones and IEMs!

EDIT: Then, if you decide you need the JH, go ahead. I'm sure it's good, but there's more life and listening left in the ES3X. It scales really well!
post #3074 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdr. Seraphim View Post
Pila, the ES3X have a lot more to offer. Just check out a reference, desktop amp (Ok, you can't take it with you. But do consider how much of the time you're out, versus at home--studying, you'd better be studying ). You'll still have a flagship IEM, and a reference amplifier too! Then, you'll have lots of fun evaluating other headphones and IEMs!
I hate posts like these because they make me want an ES3X then. For weeks I researched and finally decided on JH-13's and you then go and sway me like this. I am just gonna have to resist temptations
post #3075 of 10479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elluzion View Post
Hahahaha. well i'm glad I can still have enjoyable aural sex then.... I hope to lose my virginity to the JH5's, don't tell my mom.
Again, not quite. That 'privilege' is only reserved for JH13 owners. From the JH Audio website: "We call the the JH13 Pro. You'll call it aural sex"

The JH5, according to the puzzle I think I may have solved, would be appropriate for those aged 5+, providing audiophile quality lullabies & nursery rhymes.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › JH Audio JH-13 PRO impressions thread