Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread - Page 6

post #76 of 1528
My only concern was over this thread getting piled up with the stuff that doesn't matter including my posts over here.
post #77 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
All Grados since around Jan/Feb use the New i cable.

.
Not "All".
post #78 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cankin View Post
Not "All".
Just curious, which one's don't? The 60s and 80s?

.
post #79 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
Just curious, which one's don't? The 60s and 80s?

.
60i, 80i and MS1i
post #80 of 1528
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkvedam View Post
My only concern was over this thread getting piled up with the stuff that doesn't matter including my posts over here.
There really isn't much to worry. I would appreciate if people left this comments for the other HF-2 threads, as it will make it easier for me to search reviews/comparisons, etc... But once found they will all go to the first post of this thread
post #81 of 1528
I hope that the reviews saying that the HF-2 sounds better than PS1000 wont make John Grado change drivers for us all and just the initial purchases have the best drivers! Gosh!
post #82 of 1528
Listened to it at CJ with the manley preamp and the fet-a
Overall...a nicely balanced headphone. Has that Grado in your face sound, but more balanced and smoother than the other current offerings.
Similar to my vintage RS1s which I used for comparison.
However, it didn't have the tonal richness and as sweet a midrange that I really love about my v. RS1s.
It's definitely a good deal and I'm considering getting one myself, more as a backup in case something happens to my RS1s.
Listened to the RS1i too and it sounded muddy compared to the vintage RS1s (direct comparison) and the HF2 (from memory) . Relatively poorer imaging/separation of instruments compared to RS1s. Could be the amp or that it might not have had too much burn-in.
All this was done on the Manley and fet-a amp.
Liked the PS1000s, but given the cost, think HF2 is a no-brainer if you're looking for a new grado.
post #83 of 1528

HF-2 early impressions:

I am burning in these HF-2 finally, which got about 24 hours of burn-in at CanJam. After listening to them on my Woo WA6 for a while today, my vote is that these are a must own Grado IF you cannot afford an APS V3 cabled RS-1 for the extra detail and soundstage (or a woodied re-cabled HF-1). You'll spend about the same as a used RS-2 for them, and enjoy them more.

With bowls the HF-2 have the rich inviting mids of the RS-2 without sounding as dull/rolled off or too forward like the RS-2. They have the bass of an RS-1 with flats and it's not overblown like the PS-1000 or PS-1, and the bass is also better than my old SR-325i. The bass detail needs work, and I suspect burn-in will help there - there is still a slight "bass cloud" over the music, since these are so fresh I think. The vocals are beautiful with these, and the re are no glaring colorations that I would like to banish yet with a re-cable or mods.

I had posted that at CanJam that I liked the HF-2 probably as much as a stock RS-1 but said that didn't have enough time to compare. But here at home my APS V3 RS-1 do have more extension, detail and transparency (with flats) than the HF-2. The soundstage is still smaller than the RS-1 as well, despite flats on the RS-1. I was not as impressed with my RS-2 or SR-325i when I had them as I am with these fresh HF-2 right now, although I thought the woodied recabled HF-1 with flats were closer to the RS-1 than any other Grado (Blutarsky now has those in partial trade for his Stax O2 Mk1).

I can imagine just how much better the micro-detail and transparency on these HF-2 would be if I have them re-cabled like all my other headphones, but I am planning to leave them stock for a while first.
post #84 of 1528
Thread Starter 
Thanks HeadphoneAddict, added your little review before you put it here ^^

If you check the first page and want it named in a different way, tell me, I can change it. Bare in mind it is work in progress , and still alot to come. Don't know how many of these will come (500-1000), but I can imagine loads of reviews/comparisons popping up.

Well after reading your I also realized it is a bit different. If you want me to change it for this one here I will do so
post #85 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Thanks HeadphoneAddict, added your little review before you put it here ^^

If you check the first page and want it named in a different way, tell me, I can change it. Bare in mind it is work in progress , and still alot to come. Don't know how many of these will come (500-1000), but I can imagine loads of reviews/comparisons popping up.

Well after reading your I also realized it is a bit different. If you want me to change it for this one here I will do so
It's your thread - so you can decide.

I just added more comments to the other thread about these, and having tried them with flats and bowls both now.
post #86 of 1528
HeadphoneAddict can you describe how the HF2 compares to the RS2 a little more? I have a RS2 and have the HF2 in soon, especially in speed? thanks
post #87 of 1528
The stock RS-2 sounded closer to my Alessandro MS-1 and seemed a little rolled off with less dynamics, but less colored and more detailed and refined at the same time. The RS-2 are a more forward intimate kind of phone than the other Grados, with a smaller soundstage and more prominent mids. They didn't sound good with flats (muddy congested), and were a little bass shy with bowls. The RS-2 brightened up with my APS re-cable, and became crisper and cleaner, and richer - getting closer to the RS-1, but the soundstage presentation and overall personality did not change much. The RS-1 still had a bigger soundstage and put you on the first row instead of on stage.

The HF-2 is closer to the RS-1 than it is to the RS-2, and at CanJam I was liking the HF-2 more than the stock RS-1 in the TTVJ room. They do retain some of the richer mids and vocals of the RS-2 but do not over-do it this time. But, here at home my APS V3 RS-1 still have more detail and extension, but they are not hugely better than the HF-2. For the price the HF-2 are a steal and I could be happy without the RS-1 now that I have my HD800 and HF-2.

I can't compare "speed" because I sold the RS-2 last summer after in depth comparos with my RS-1 and woodied recabled HF-1. All three had the APS V3 cable which makes it hard to compare to another with a stock cable, especially when you can't do it side by side.

I am fairly sure you WILL be selling the RS-2 after the HF-2 arrive.
post #88 of 1528
humm. yeah I have been thinking of it, sucks though since i just got it not long ago wonder how this HF2 will effect the used market of the RS2. BTW thanks for the info
post #89 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict View Post
The stock RS-2 sounded closer to my Alessandro MS-1 and seemed a little rolled off with less dynamics, but less colored and more detailed and refined at the same time. The RS-2 are a more forward intimate kind of phone than the other Grados, with a smaller soundstage and more prominent mids. They didn't sound good with flats (muddy congested), and were a little bass shy with bowls. The RS-2 brightened up with my APS re-cable, and became crisper and cleaner, and richer - getting closer to the RS-1, but the soundstage presentation and overall personality did not change much. The RS-1 still had a bigger soundstage and put you on the first row instead of on stage.

The HF-2 is closer to the RS-1 than it is to the RS-2, and at CanJam I was liking the HF-2 more than the stock RS-1 in the TTVJ room. They do retain some of the richer mids and vocals of the RS-2 but do not over-do it this time. But, here at home my APS V3 RS-1 still have more detail and extension, but they are not hugely better than the HF-2. For the price the HF-2 are a steal and I could be happy without the RS-1 now that I have my HD800 and HF-2.

I can't compare "speed" because I sold the RS-2 last summer after in depth comparos with my RS-1 and woodied recabled HF-1. All three had the APS V3 cable which makes it hard to compare to another with a stock cable, especially when you can't do it side by side.

I am fairly sure you WILL be selling the RS-2 after the HF-2 arrive.
Hello again and apologies in advance for banging on about this but could you please tell me if the housing of the HF2 is comparable in size to that of the RS1. I particularly wish to know if the housing of the RS1 is deeper than that of the HF2 and if so, is it marginally or significantly so?

Thanks in advance.
post #90 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by iponderous View Post
Hello again and apologies in advance for banging on about this but could you please tell me if the housing of the HF2 is comparable in size to that of the RS1. I particularly wish to know if the housing of the RS1 is deeper than that of the HF2 and if so, is it marginally or significantly so?

Thanks in advance.
I think the HF-2 housing/cup looks closer to the RS-2 size, and it is not as deep as the RS-1. The HF-2 cup is also about 3mm total diameter wider than the RS-1 cup. I like the looks of the shallower HF-2 cup.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread