Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread - Page 32

post #466 of 1528
I very much think that whether you like the HF2 or not right from the box depends on whether you like Grado's sound signature or not and I won't expect someone who is more used to the laid-back kind of sound like the HD650 provides for example will love the HF2. I definitely expect the HF2 to be just another Grado ie. forward, aggressive, not-so-great soundstage, lovely mids but with different flavorings.

My apologies if I'm stating the obvious.
post #467 of 1528
Anyone know how these sound compared to a W5000 W1000 or W11jpn etc?
post #468 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
I very much think that whether you like the HF2 or not right from the box depends on whether you like Grado's sound signature or not and I won't expect someone who is more used to the laid-back kind of sound like the HD650 provides for example will love the HF2. I definitely expect the HF2 to be just another Grado ie. forward, aggressive, not-so-great soundstage, lovely mids but with different flavorings.

My apologies if I'm stating the obvious.
Actually they sound very different from any of the other grados (I haven't heard msPro or PS1000) and I would say that a HD650 lover would quite likely enjoy these.
post #469 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmdevils View Post
Actually they sound very different from any of the other grados (I haven't heard msPro or PS1000) and I would say that a HD650 lover would quite likely enjoy these.
But is the difference so radical that they don't have anymore of those classic Grado traits?

By the way, my card has been charged finally but I haven't received any notifications. Anyone in the same boat?
post #470 of 1528
Okay - now I'm somewhat befuddled. The HF-2 reviews seem all over the place and it's becoming more difficult to pin down a consensus review. I haven't received mine as of yet, and although I am still as anxious and excited as I was when first ordered, I am now unsure as to what Grado to expect. I've heard reviews ranging from the initial baby PS-1000 to tamed 325's - geez, that's quite the gamut of Grado signatures. Anyone able to clear this up a bit for me before I receive these beasts?
post #471 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliex View Post
Okay - now I'm somewhat befuddled. The HF-2 reviews seem all over the place and it's becoming more difficult to pin down a consensus review. I haven't received mine as of yet, and although I am still as anxious and excited as I was when first ordered, I am now unsure as to what Grado to expect. I've heard reviews ranging from the initial baby PS-1000 to tamed 325's - geez, that's quite the gamut of Grado signatures. Anyone able to clear this up a bit for me before I receive these beasts?
My guess right now based on the various reviews is that it will sound like a refined SR225. I haven't had the chance to try the Grados you mentioned in your post.
post #472 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
My guess right now based on the various reviews is that it will sound like a refined SR225. I haven't had the chance to try the Grados you mentioned in your post.
That was the HF-1.
post #473 of 1528
If it makes any of you guys feel better, the ones I heard were very impressive and you will enjoy them either way. And no they were not like the HD650 signature, they still had a Grado kind of characteristic, but different and even better than before in my opinion. Grado got something right with these, is what I think but I have no idea how other HF-2's sound.
post #474 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by K3cT View Post
But is the difference so radical that they don't have anymore of those classic Grado traits?

By the way, my card has been charged finally but I haven't received any notifications. Anyone in the same boat?
I was charged on 7/20 and it arrived on 7/30 without ever receiving a tracking number. Go figure.
post #475 of 1528
After 60 hours of burn in, these headphones have changed drastically. They went from a painful, unlistenable pair of headphones, to a can with deep controlled bass, surprisingly pleasant mids, and semi-wide soundstage (un-Grado like) that leans a little towards the forward), and the highs, while being a little edgy and I feel the need to turn down the volume slightly, are clean, crisp and quite accurate.

I compared them to my HP-2's this morning and find that the mids on the HP1000 are superior, but the bass of the HF-2 is deeper (more subsonic) and has greater authority. The highs are in the same league.

Since the first group of people (CanJam group of ~24) did not hear what I heard right out of the box, and probably don't respect my listening opinions anymore after what I wrote earlier, I wonder if they had pairs that were deemed to be listened to at Canjam, with some double digit amounts of hours already on them.
I would like any of these members to listen to some of the newer HF-2's that are currently being delivered to take a listen and see if they sounded like the pairs that they received at Canjam.
I have been evaluating audio components for a heck of a long time and unless I am fighting a bout with Alzheimer's or Dementia (which is entirely possible), there's no way that anyone worth their salt could have listened to the pair that I received right out of the box, and say that they sounded even remotely pleasing.

As of now, besides the build quality, they are starting to become a world class headphone that I will be proud to have in my collection, as long as the edgy highs smooth out a little.
post #476 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post
After 60 hours of burn in, these headphones have changed drastically. They went from a painful, unlistenable pair of headphones, to a can with deep controlled bass, surprisingly pleasant mids, and semi-wide soundstage (un-Grado like) that leans a little towards the forward), and the highs, while being a little edgy and I feel the need to turn down the volume slightly, are clean, crisp and quite accurate.

I compared them to my HP-2's this morning and find that the mids on the HP1000 are superior, but the bass of the HF-2 is deeper (more subsonic) and has greater authority. The highs are in the same league.

Since the first group of people (CanJam group of ~24) did not hear what I heard right out of the box, and probably don't respect my listening opinions anymore after what I wrote earlier, I wonder if they had pairs that were deemed to be listened to at Canjam, with some double digit amounts of hours already on them.
I would like any of these members to listen to some of the newer HF-2's that are currently being delivered to take a listen and see if they sounded like the pairs that they received at Canjam.
I have been evaluating audio components for a heck of a long time and unless I am fighting a bout with Alzheimer's or Dementia (which is entirely possible), there's no way that anyone worth their salt could have listened to the pair that I received right out of the box, and say that they sounded even remotely pleasing.

As of now, besides the build quality, they are starting to become a world class headphone that I will be proud to have in my collection, as long as the edgy highs smooth out a little.
I Have/had about 8 sets of Grados that I have broken in.. They all went thru the changes you mention. They did most of their changing in the first 24 hours or so. I would say the change is at a rapid rate for the first 8 hours. A lot going on, and VERY apparent. Then the next 8-12 hours or so, still quite a lot of changing. They seem to be at 80-90% in around 48 hours. I can't say much else happens after that because the changes are so slight if there at all. I would say anything that happens after 48-72 hours is "wearing in" rather than breaking in if it happens at all.

I think that if you listen to them out of the box, who would "like" that thin shrill sound. I wonder how many Grados get sold off quick because of that.

.
post #477 of 1528
Thread Starter 
Thanks for your impressions immt.

I have to add that on the first hours of using the HF-2 I did find them sounding a bit like the sr225 I listened to when they were new. Sibilant, harsh in the midrange, etc. But now after more than 70 hours of playing (have not counted any further) I find them sibilant no more, I could even say more neutral than the sr225 I have and less fatiguing. I also had to find my perfect position and comfort, and these cans are growing better and better over more usage.

Even so my first impressions with them after having listened to a lot of music with the sr225 was that they were good cans, so I didn't find them sounding awful. I have gotten used to them, though.
post #478 of 1528
Knowing the first group of phones were going to CanJam it's quite possible Grado put some hours on the drivers to help them along but with the shear amount going out the door it may not be possible to give later batches as much time. I have no idea if this is the case or not but having worked for a speaker manufacturer in the past I know we would have made sure anything going to a show had some time on them to get them settled in so to speak.
post #479 of 1528
I've been listening to the HF2's for a while now. First inmpression was good, but that the bass was a bit wooly and seemed to be clouding the overall sound somewhat. Now that impression is gone either due to burn-in or brain-in and I'm really really liking these headphones. They bring more of the band forward than MS2i's - bass, organs, etc, not just guitar. Easy to listen to even for long sessions and very engaging at the same time. No harshness at all with the Lavry/RudiStor combo upstream. Great with good live rock! I also like the "F1" mispelling on mine because they kick a**.
post #480 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by immtbiker View Post
After 60 hours of burn in, these headphones have changed drastically. They went from a painful, unlistenable pair of headphones, to a can with deep controlled bass, surprisingly pleasant mids, and semi-wide soundstage (un-Grado like) that leans a little towards the forward), and the highs, while being a little edgy and I feel the need to turn down the volume slightly, are clean, crisp and quite accurate.

My HF 2's are burning in with a few hours less than yours, Aaron and I have to agree that they have changed big time for the good...I am used to a slow burn-in process that my Ultrasones needed...even the HD 800 needed over 100 hours to settle down. I am liking my first set of Grados!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread