Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread - Page 26

post #376 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbulack View Post
Thanks for that reminder, Mr.Sneis. All of the observations of the HF-2 I posted a few posts up were made using TTVJ Flat pads, in place of the stock bowl pads.
Here's an update on the HF-2 paired with a Purity Audio KICAS Caliente, this time with the stock bowl pads. There's NOT more bass than I find optimal for my listening enjoyment. In fact, with the bowl pads, there's more of a delicacy to the sound, with really lovely highs, and a nicely balanced (again, a more delicate amount) of bass. The good news here is that, with the selection of pads, the level of bass from the HF-2 paired with the Caliente can be "dialed in" through the thickness of the pads used. Nothing new there, with Grados. I just wanted to update my observations from before (made with TTVJ Flat pads) with this additional finding. Along similar lines, even on a few albums which I've historically found to be more pronounced in the highs than I prefer, it's not too much with the bowls on the HF-2 with the Caliente. In fact, the highs on these albums have a really lovely - silky, satiny quality. So for my ears, with this combo, the bass can be dialed in through the selection of pads without the highs becoming a limiting factor.
post #377 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbulack View Post
Here's an update on the HF-2 paired with a Purity Audio KICAS Caliente, this time with the stock bowl pads. There's NOT more bass than I find optimal for my listening enjoyment. In fact, with the bowl pads, there's more of a delicacy to the sound, with really lovely highs, and a nicely balanced (again, a more delicate amount) of bass. The good news here is that, with the selection of pads, the level of bass from the HF-2 paired with the Caliente can be "dialed in" through the thickness of the pads used. Nothing new there, with Grados. I just wanted to update my observations from before (made with TTVJ Flat pads) with this additional finding. Along similar lines, even on a few albums which I've historically found to be more pronounced in the highs than I prefer, it's not too much with the bowls on the HF-2 with the Caliente. In fact, the highs on these albums have a really lovely - silky, satiny quality. So for my ears, with this combo, the bass can be dialed in through the selection of pads without the highs becoming a limiting factor.
Thanks for the update. I'm going to be pairing the HF-2 with a straight KICAS, not the bass-heavier Caliente variation, so hopefully it will be sufficient. I'm pretty sure that Skylab indicated that the difference between the regular KICAS and the Caliente wasn't very profound.

I generally prefer bowls with Grados, as I feel the need to try to coax out as much soundstage as possible from them, considering that they don't have a ton to begin with. Most indications are that the HF-2 sounds better with bowls, but I'm sure there's an element of preference there.

I'm still not 100% sure what to expect from the HF-2's bass. I've heard some describe it as less refined than the RS-1's, but greater in quantity.

There's the issue of burn-in, whereby it seems to start out (like the HF-1) as more of the one-note bass cloud variety, then tighten up as the hours add up to 200.
post #378 of 1528
I think I will reserve my comments on HF2 sound and quality until I ACTUALLY received and heard the HF2. Even inferences or hyphothesis would need a fair amount of quantifiable data to suggest, which unfurtunately isn't really standard in a personal hobby. =|

I posted to thank Sbulack and Mr Sneiss on their minireview. It seems to be feeding my eagerness to receive my Hf2 and compare with my RS1. =)
post #379 of 1528
I've got probably 175hours or a bit more on my HF-2. My RS-1 are always used with flats, whereas, happiness lies with bowls on the HF-2 for me. The usual setup for me (with them) has been Pico dac/ KICAS Caliente (MacBook as source) (alt is Pico amp/iMod). Warning - outside of high-level Grado's, my closed alternatives are various versions of Darths and listen primarily to jazz vocals, jazz intrumental, and some classical. Further, I should note that I've owned 325i, and RS-2....and they are long gone with absolutely no regrets.

If someone were to ask me what I would choose if I could only have two pairs of headphones (eschewing collector-priced headphones) - the answer would be a pair of fully-leathered (earpads & aftermarket headband) v.3 X-Deep Darths, and a pair of HF-2. The HF-2 are aprox. equal to RS-1/flats - but different. So, if you can afford both - then having both can be a good idea (can't wait for arrival of EAR HP4 to see what happens). I like using the Caliente because if the really low notes are in the recording - the Caliente will reproduce them giving complete satisfaction - a phenomena I first enjoyed with RS-1 plugged into it.
re: burn-in. Joe Grado used to say only 30hrs were needed - and that would be true for the largest incremental change in sound. But, changes occur far beyond that landmark. I had purchased a pair of Alessandro MS Pro's on the used market - who can say how many hrs were on them, but they were at least a year old. I'll swear to this day that they sounded better after my 5 months with them than when I received them........but were still not quite as good as the RS-1 IMO.
post #380 of 1528
BushGuy, is your RS-1 a vintage pair?
post #381 of 1528
Got a pleasant surprise this morning! Received #148. Will post some impressions and perhaps a pic or two soon. Gotta say though, I like em quite a bit more than the MS2i I previously owned.
post #382 of 1528
Uberburger101: I have both a Vintage (Brn headband, orig. Grado wood box etc.) pair of RS-1, and a pair with serial aprox. 1100.
post #383 of 1528
We will never know the frequency response, the sensitivity and the impedance? The termination is 1/8 or 1/4? To finish, could you help me with a good amplyfier for these HF-2, no very expensive
post #384 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzantini View Post
We will never know the frequency response, the sensitivity and the impedance? The termination is 1/8 or 1/4? To finish, could you help me with a good amplyfier for these HF-2, no very expensive
The specs are likely much like other Grado models in this range. The termination is 1/4"

As far as an amp, what if any equipment do you already have?

I thought they sounded pretty good right out of a Sansa e2xx, and they sound really nice out of an integrated amp's HP jack, and as soon as I get space cleared, I'll try them out of my Millet hybrid, which I strongly suspect will match well with them, since it does with SR-80i and -225.
post #385 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushGuy View Post
Uberburger101: I have both a Vintage (Brn headband, orig. Grado wood box etc.) pair of RS-1, and a pair with serial aprox. 1100.
Currently you prefer the HF-2 to either RS-1? Can I ask in what way?
post #386 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenzip View Post
The specs are likely much like other Grado models in this range.
Wich model ?
post #387 of 1528
Uberburger101: "The HF-2 are aprox. equal to RS-1/flats - but different. So, if you can afford both - then having both can be a good idea...... "
To use a overused phrase - they provide an open window to the music......you should hear one of the John Pisano recordings thru them (suggest John Pisano/Joe Pass Duets).
post #388 of 1528
Hmm, perhaps I phrased it wrongly then. How is the HF2 different from the RS-1/flats?
post #389 of 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzantini View Post
Wich model ?
Pick one. Most of the Grados in this range are much alike in specs, with FR being the main difference.

Code:
325
Frequency response 18-24
SPL 1mV             98
Normal impedance 32ohms
Driver matched db .05
RS-2
Frequency response 14-28
SPL 1mV             98
Normal impedance 32ohms
Driver matched db .05
RS-1
Frequency response 12-30
SPL 1mV             98
Normal impedance 32ohms
Driver matched db .05
GS1000
Frequency response 8-35
SPL 1mV             98
Normal impedance 32ohms
Driver matched db .05
post #390 of 1528
Just an FYI, the typical hearing range for humans is 20-20,000 Hz, and the sounds in recorded music staying away from the extremes. Advertising range extending to 25k or even 35k Hz is nothing more than a sham.

Grado's increasing the frequency range as you move up their line...total sham advertising. The GS1000 frequency range is perfect for a dog, not humans.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The Grado HF-2 Review/Comparison Thread